PDA

View Full Version : where is sunfish pond and this lovely sunset picture

DavidNH
10-09-2005, 18:58
WOW...saw these gorgeous photos of sunfish pond and the sunset picture. where are they found? in maine?

This stuff really gets my mouth watering for the at thru hike I am planning for starting spring 06!

Lone Wolf
10-09-2005, 19:13
In New Jersey.

Kerosene
10-09-2005, 19:56
I seem to recall that this may be the southernmost glacial pond in the U.S., located about 4 miles trail north of the Delaware Water Gap and I-80. Here is a link to a loop hike: http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/stackpole/mida_mohic3.htm

saimyoji
10-09-2005, 20:10
Yeah, Sunfish Pond is about 3.75 mi north of the Dunnfield creek parking lot at DWG. A pretty good hike, not too strenuous, no major ascents. Don't swim in the pond (when anyone is looking) or you're likely to get a ticket (20-30$). Try it in winter for a really different experience. I met a guy with two dogs that just ran straight out onto the frozen ice. I thought they were goners. It was about 70 at the parking lot that day in Nov. and about 40 when I got up to the pond. It started snowing on the way down. I had about a 1/4 inch of snow on me by the time I got back down. Big difference between the lot and 1200' up on the ridge. Hike prepared for anything: rattlers, bears, skunks, even ran into a youth group with a blind woman one day....

Its the most popular hiking spot in NJ. If you don't like crowds, do it at a time that most normal people don't hike.

Lone Wolf
10-09-2005, 20:16
I have a photo of myself blue-blazing ON the pond in 2000. It was December.