PDA

View Full Version : Marmot trestles 30 vs Kelty Cosmic Down 21 Sleeping Bag

AO2134
08-20-2014, 23:30
I currently own a MArmot Trestles 30. I have used it in 2 overnight backpacking trips. I like the bag. It weighs 3 lbs 3 oz. It suits my needs. I paid $99, which made my pocket happy. The only thing I dislike is how much room it takes in my pack when compressed.

I am not a UL hiker. I don't want to spend that kind of cash.

However, I recently saw the Kelty Cosmic Down 21 Sleeping Bag. It is 550 fill duck down (yes I know 800 is better, but I can't pay that kind of cash). It is $129.99. It is rated at a significantly lower temperature 21 degrees. The long version is actually 2 lbs 13 oz, which will be a saving of 6 oz from the regular Marmot I have.

I have never had a down sleeping bag and I am concerned about condensation getting my bag wet (possibly a SMD Trekker Scout).

Anyone have the Kelty Cosmic Down 21? How do you like it? How does it handle getting wet? Any recommendations would be great.

My current pack is about 35 lbs for upcoming section hike. Big 3 weight is 13 lbs (tent 6 lbs w/ footprint), sleeping bag and pad (4 lbs), pack 3 lbs. Food and water will be 11 lbs. Rest will be 10 lbs.

I may be purchasing a new tent which will be about 3.5 lbs lighter. I also plan to leave some extra clothes at home since which will save another lb. With the Kelty sleeping bag, I have save almost another 1/2 lb.

With the new gear, I would have big 3 weight close to 8.5 lbs and pack weight under 30 lbs.

misterfloyd
08-31-2014, 17:23
I have a Cosmic 0, not a 20 degree bag that you mentioned, but this may help.

I really like the Kelty. Mine is a 550 fill as well. I also have a Skytrekker as well. If you take the two down in temperature, you will get condensation no question. Some at the toe box, and also at the hood. I put my rain jacket over the toebox sort of a 1/4 size bivy. When it did get wet from Cond. it was fine. Any down will suffer if it gets drenched, which it didn't

It is a very warm bag, and from all the reviews I have seen, I have no doubt that the 20 is as well. Gotta make certain you don't sleep "in the buff" so to speak.

Mine doesn't compress very well, or it does very well for 550 down. I have seen the 20 in its stuff sack. Get a good compression sack and it should get smaller.

I have posted two threads on this column strictly to reduce weight and size of a zero bag. I have no problem with their quality and warmth. I do hear you regarding money.

Hope this helps
Floyd

Teacher & Snacktime
09-01-2014, 00:19
Snacktime and I each have the Kelty Cosmic Down 20.....LOVE THEM!

squeezebox
09-01-2014, 03:21
Wait as long as you can to decide. Something used or $$ might fall in your lap.
Light weight is good, spending a lot of money is bad. Somewhere there is a compromise.

lemon b
09-03-2014, 03:33
I have a Cats Meow, 2 Kelty 20's, one which is the cosmic. The other a 600, plus a Kelty 0, and several other bags, like many before me and many after, I wish I had just purchased a Western Mt. 20 degree instead of playing the nickel dime for so long. Only positive being I've always been the go to guy when one of my son's or teir friends ned a bag so they don't have to stay home.