PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrate Paella?

stjarvis
08-21-2014, 12:00
When to dinner at a Tapas place last night with my gf, we got paella even though it normally serves 5-6 people, so now I have a ton of left over Paella and was wondering if I could dehydrate it for my quickly approaching section hike. I'm thinking if I pull the meat out and run it though a food processor, then put it back, I should be able to dehydrate it like Chilli. Anyone see any issue with that? has anyone dehydrated a similar rice dish?

overthinker
08-21-2014, 12:21
Should work fine, only problem might be the fat issue - sometimes paella has a good amount of oil thrown in, which obviously won't dehydrate. You might be able to leave the meat in as well, or dehydrate it on its own without blending.

stjarvis
08-25-2014, 09:11
Dehydrated 3 cups of it over the weekend. It does seem to have a bit of fat in it, so I'm keeping it in the fridge till I head out, and then I'll eat it the first night.

rocketsocks
08-25-2014, 11:13
When to dinner at a Tapas place last night with my gf, we got paella even though it normally serves 5-6 people, so now I have a ton of left over Paella and was wondering if I could dehydrate it for my quickly approaching section hike. I'm thinking if I pull the meat out and run it though a food processor, then put it back, I should be able to dehydrate it like Chilli. Anyone see any issue with that? has anyone dehydrated a similar rice dish?

I think I'd personally feel better making my own, where by controlling the ingredients. I've had it many different ways fishes, mussels, clams, lobster, crab, and Swimps, chicken, pork, ect... The one problem I see with dehydrating these sea based (traditional types, is that the meat (muscle) of the seafood I think would re-hydrate mushy, or mealy if you will, and possibly even spoil if getting from a restaurant where you don't know exactly what they put in it. And if Sausages are used with a fat content, I don't think I'd want to risk it. But should you...please let us know how you make out, and good luck.

I like Zatterans rice mixes, and getting some dried Swimps from a Asian food market may put you on your way to making your own mix of paella, add some summer sausages...don't forget to pick some crocies...Saffron....and peas, ya need the peas. :)