PDA

View Full Version : camp sites

Katt
10-09-2005, 22:23
I am in the process of planning my thru hike in 2006. I have not hiked on the AT before and I have a few questions on the camp sites listed in the Data Book. I am not planning on using shelters (except in the GSMNP or other areas where required). I was wondering what the campsites listed in the Data Book were like? (In other areas were I have hiked the "backcounty" campsites were mainly just large dirt areas. Not real good if it was raining. Also hard to keep tent and gear clean.)
How many people use these areas? Are the people who use them mainly larger groups out for the weekend or longer distance hikers? Do most people just prefer to find their own campsite? Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Katt

SGT Rock
10-09-2005, 22:37
I like to find my own.

Big Dawg
10-09-2005, 22:54
What's up, Katt? First post, huh? :welcome aboard!!! You've found a great site!! Regarding your question, from what I've hiked so far on the AT-(from Springer Mountain to Sam's Gap near Erwin, TN), campsites listed in the guidebooks range from great to so-so. Some near a water source, some not. Some flat, some not so flat. Some down in a gap, some on top of the mountain. Some that are not even listed in the guidebooks. Most campsites are simply flat or semi-flat areas that have been used so often over the years that there is usually some type of firepit. These sites are kinda like you describe,, "large dirt areas". Hikers of all kinds use these sites. Alot of times, I & many others try to find a less used campsite, or create a new site. Hammockers have a lot more choices because they don't have to find flat ground. They hang from the trees, & when no trees are around, they can go to ground like a bivy/tarp. I'm on the verge of becoming a hammocker because of this reason, & because of how comfortable people claim them to be. Well, that's my .02

Happy Trails!! :sun

Bassline
10-09-2005, 23:04
Man, first off, I would recommend Wingfoot's book over the databook, if you are going to be camping away from the shelters more often, simply because he lists more stuff. What you have to realize is that campsites will range from great to terrible. You iwll just have to wing it. For me, the key ingredient to a good campsite is a good water source. Once you have that, you can fin d aplace to camp. Now, what is your reason for avoiding shelters? They are quite a convenience, and the social benefits of them are nice. I dont want to persuade you against your plan though because I am sure you have good reason for your decision. It is all good.

Bassline

rambunny
10-10-2005, 13:24
Don't worry There's lots of spots everywhere. I like it to that you say except where required. Like you i vasilated between wanting my space and wanting the social ect. about the shelters. My best compromise for me was to stop at the shelter around dinner time ,read the register camel up ,eat and socialize then to hike on 2 or three miles.,then scoping out my perfect piece of real estate.Leave no trace- even to the extent of taking brush and fluffing it back up like you were never there,then practically anywhere you are welcome. Also that way i had alot of miles by myself and saw more wildlife. Good luck to you.Hope that helps.

gumby
10-10-2005, 15:51
Like you i vasilated between wanting my space and wanting the social ect. about the shelters.
Welcome to the group, one word of caution any topic can go off in many directions and most don't use high flautin werds lik vasilated. <grin>

Just joking, anyway I am planning to thru-hike in the next couple of years. I have learned a bunch of things from the regulars here. I have just about switched over to hammock camping. Just need my tarp.

marc

Doctari
10-10-2005, 19:54
Most, not all "designated sites" are as you described. However, there are (my limited 400 mile experience) many sites that arn't listed in any guide book that are: level, close to water, etc. Remember that the larger the tent or tarp the fewer sites you will fit into. And, for the most part, a hammock will fit into more places than a tarp or tent. My tent easily fits a space only 11' x 3.5' & I have tented at sites my hiking companions have not been able to fit. I have seen many many places that had I a hammock, I could have stopped right at a spring instead of hiking yet another mile or more for a level spot, even one as small as my needs.

At the request of many of my shelter mates, I no longer sleep in shelters, (I SNORE VERY VERY LOUDLY) so have become fairly proficient at finding a good site, even one a bit off the trail. I Snore extremly LOUDLY! :eek: Also, I have never been troubled by mice either, at shelters with warnings in every journal entry, no one was bothered the night I stayed there, Hmmmmm!

Summation: you will find a place to camp with minimal fuss, if you keep your eyes open.

Doctari.

Katt
10-10-2005, 22:38
Thanks ya’ll,

I have been trying to decide whether to try to plan to make it to a listed campsite or use an average mile per day when doing my itinerary. It sounds like an average mile per day will work best. :)
As for avoiding shelters… I really just prefer the privacy. I have thought of using rambunny’s idea and socializing at evening meal and then finding a quieter area to sleep. I prefer nature’s sounds to snores of other campers and like the privacy of having my own tent. I am planning on springing for a cloudburst tarp tent in the next month. Hammocks are just not for me.

Thanks again for the info. I have been lurking for a little while and decided to join about a week ago. I have found a lot of good info here.

Katt

Big Dawg
10-11-2005, 10:55
I am planning on springing for a cloudburst tarp tent in the next month.
Henry Shires makes a great Tarptent,,, from what I hear. You won't go wrong w/ his products, if a tent is your desire.

Footslogger
10-11-2005, 11:04
Katt,

The key is WATER. Just add water and just about any place along the trail makes a decent campsite. You're probably wise to plan on avoiding shelters or estabished campsites (unless of course you have as much rain as we did in 2003) because they tend to be crowded and noisey.

One suggestion would be to grab your water at the shelter/campsite and then hike on for another couple miles. I can remember several times passing by what looked like a great campsite about an hour into my hike in the morning ...only wishing I had pushed on a bit the night before.

'Slogger

Mouth
10-11-2005, 11:43
Katt,

In general, I preferred the shelters on my thru-hike (05), but I did spend a multitude of nights in my tent as well. One thing I noticed about campsites was that there were often way more than were listed. In some states there was NO camping listed even though there were a ton of sites. I think a few others have pointed out that having a good water source is key in finding a decent spot to camp, and I have to agree with them. From PA to ME I hiked mainly with a group of five and we didn't have much trouble finding camp spots, although we sometimes had to short/long a day by a few miles to find the spot, and like I said, hit shelters pretty often. Some people have been giving tent advice, and I loved my MSR Hubba, as did about 50 or so other hubba owners I met on the trail.

I noticed you said...
I have been trying to decide whether to try to plan to make it to a listed campsite or use an average mile per day when doing my itinerary.. I too had an itinerary, and it went right in the trash 2 days in. Even if you're short on time, even the best planned itinerary can get in the way more than help you out. On the flip side of that coin, I had a great time in the months before my hike planning out all the miles, and it did a great job planting little reminders in my head. There were several times in the shelter at night when I would look for tomorrow's end point and say "oh yeah, I want to hit (point x), I remember reading about it when making my mile plan". So maybe it is a good idea to make a plan, just don't get too upset if/when you deviate from it.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, good luck on your hike.

Youngblood
10-11-2005, 11:45
The key is WATER. Just add water and just about any place along the trail makes a decent campsite. ...
What will they think of next? Do you prefer dehyrated campsites or freeze dried and do you need to bring the water to a boil? :datz

Footslogger
10-11-2005, 12:02
What will they think of next? Do you prefer dehyrated campsites or freeze dried and do you need to bring the water to a boil? :datz=================================
If we COULD dehydrate them there'd be room for a lot more.

'Slogger

Katt
10-11-2005, 22:53
Thanks again for the info

I agree Mouth, the itenerary is becoming more and more just a resupply list. Time is not an issue. The itenerary is more for the hubby to see that I am planning on coming home within the year. :jump
I do expect many changes and that does not bother me.

Katt

alanthealan
10-12-2005, 10:54
You can camp at most shelters. "Keep the gear clean" ??? Good luck:bse

Sly
10-12-2005, 11:55
I don't agree you need a good water source for a good campsite. You can always carry water. If you hike 'til near dusk, most balds and many overlooks make excellent campsites.

Check out the topo on your maps.