PDA

View Full Version : Southbound 2015?

srvand02
08-21-2014, 22:23
Hey all,

At this point in time I'm planning a thru-hike of the CDT to take place sometime in 2015. Since my 2013 SoBo on the A.T. I just can't resist the urge to get back out on a long trail. Just wondering how many people that post on here are thru-hiking the CDT, and also trying to gauge people to see what direction. Southbound appeals to me so much, but I also think it would be fun to walk with a crowd (however large/small that may be)... and the NoBo April comes a lot sooner than July. :D

Anyways, who's thinkin' bout hiking this thing next year?

10-K
08-24-2014, 07:18

Me!

I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt a thru or break it into 2 sections and hike half in '15 and the other half in '16.

Having hiked the AT and PCT I can't imagine not hiking the CDT.... :)

Mags
08-24-2014, 14:02
If you have the time, do it in two sections. I think it will be a more enjoyable hike and you won't have to pick alternate routes that are less than ideal. Fires, early snow, floods and even govt closures seem to put a crimp in a thru-hike plan.

If you only have one shot, do a thru ..but realize you may have to make some compromises due to the above. Some people are lucky and "thread the needle" and have no issues. But, well..they are lucky. :)

Just my opinion, Either way I am sure the CDT will be an awesome experience!

10-K
08-24-2014, 14:47
If you have the time, do it in two sections. I think it will be a more enjoyable hike and you won't have to pick alternate routes that are less than ideal. Fires, early snow, floods and even govt closures seem to put a crimp in a thru-hike plan.

If you only have one shot, do a thru ..but realize you may have to make some compromises due to the above. Some people are lucky and "thread the needle" and have no issues. But, well..they are lucky. :)

Just my opinion, Either way I am sure the CDT will be an awesome experience!

I have the time and I suspect my wife would like the 2 year / gone for less time plan when I run it by her....

So if I said, "Mags, you have to break the CDT up into 2 sections and hike it over 2 years."..... where and when would you start each of the 2 hikes?

Mags
08-24-2014, 16:18
Good question. :)

If it was me, I'd start in Glacier about July 15th or so and head SB to Rawlins, WY. Rawlins is relatively easy out of due to being off I80 and having Greyhound service. Depending which mileage you go by, that would be ~1400 +/- miles from the border.

The following year? Start at about August 1st from Rawlins, WY. Again relatively easy access..plus Rawlins is ON the CDT.

You'll be hitting the high country about the time the first hint of Fall starts, lightning will be less of concern (knock on wood! It is always there) and will beat the first consistent snows (knock on wood again!) Head south and if you do about 140-150 miles a week on average, you'll be in Chama, NM by earlyish Sept. From there, weather is less of a concern than the Colorado high country.

Every year is different, of course. :) But these rules of thumb should help.

This is based on your pace. The Colorado CDT is pretty well marked overall. And with Guthook's app (which use Bear Creek maps) much easier to navigate vs even 3-5 yrs ago. So, I think you could still do your regular pace on the CDT overall.

Anyway, knowing what I know about your hiking style (which is similar to mine), I think this may work for you.

10-K
08-24-2014, 17:12
Thanks Mags - I just posted the same question on the FB CDT group.

If the Guthook CDT app is half as good as the PCT app I'd consider it a must-have. I'm going to start gathering CDT related material and educating myself about the trail and take it from there.

srvand02
08-28-2014, 00:19
Well I'm definitely doing a thru, I just can't decide if I should go South or North. A triple crown of all SoBo routes is tempting.

srvand02
02-19-2015, 13:16
Well, it's set in stone: I will be starting my CDT hike 2 years to the day after my AT thru. I will arrive in East Glacier June 26th and start the journey the 27th, hopefully from Waterton but if not then Chief Mtn. If there is anyone else planning on starting around these dates, please let me know! It would be nice to see company in grizzly country.

David0102
02-19-2015, 15:46
I am planning to depart Chief Mountain around July1 ad hike to Yellowstone. Lets meet up. [email protected]

Hey all,

At this point in time I'm planning a thru-hike of the CDT to take place sometime in 2015. Since my 2013 SoBo on the A.T. I just can't resist the urge to get back out on a long trail. Just wondering how many people that post on here are thru-hiking the CDT, and also trying to gauge people to see what direction. Southbound appeals to me so much, but I also think it would be fun to walk with a crowd (however large/small that may be)... and the NoBo April comes a lot sooner than July. :D

10-K
02-20-2015, 18:59
Leaving Chief Mountain July 15th. Figuring out permits now.

Coming off trail in Rawlins, WY.

David0102
05-01-2015, 19:49
I received my backcountry permit for Glacier and have confirmed starting at Chief Mountain on July 1. Now I have to get from East Glacier that morning. The shuttle leaves at 11:00am but I think I'll try to arrange an earlier start. I plan on going through the ptarmigan tunnel back to East glacier with several stops in between. If anyone is interested in joining up, let me know: [email protected].

10-K
05-02-2015, 10:08
Still waiting to hear about permit here....

Marta
05-03-2015, 09:29
Yesterday I hiked with my husband and some friends to Upper Two Medicine Lake. There is still some snow hanging around, but not as much as normal. Last year on this date there were several feet of snow all around the Paradise Point parking lot, and Two Medicine Lake was completely frozen over. This year the lake is open water and the glacier lilies are blooming on the north shore of the lake.

The first picture is the parking lot at Paradise Point. At the end of the day there were only two other cars there. Amazing that so few people turned out on such a fine day. The second picture is Upper Two Medicine Lake.

Two Medicine Campground has opened for the season. 3067330674

I lost count of the number of moose we saw during the hike. I think it was 8 or 9. We had to cross a number of patches of snow during the hike. It was funny on the return trip to see the places where big moose prints had covered the shoe prints we had made on the way out. One pair of young-looking moose were very curious about us and paralleled us for a few hundred feet. Their tracks in the snow showed that, after we rounded a corner, they came up onto the trail and followed along for a while, obliterating our shoe prints.

Acres of spring beauties and glacier lilies carpeted the ground. Some Indian paintbrush were getting started. A few pasque flowers were blooming. The tiny lingonberry bushes had their little bell-shaped flowers.

A fabulous day.

Venchka
05-12-2015, 07:58
Y'all stop it! Grinning. Stuck in my office in Houston on a dreary rainy morning. Not fair at all!
Next year. I keep telling myself. Next year! I will get back to Glacier. The third time will be the charm!
Good luck everyone! 2015 looks like a great year to hit the CDT SOBO.

Wayne

Veggie_Mandy
05-22-2015, 23:01
Hi All,

I'll be heading out in the third week of June going south as well! I hope to see some of you!

Veggie

10-K
05-23-2015, 06:59
I'm sitting on go, waiting on time to pass... :)

Venchka
05-24-2015, 20:04
I'm sitting on go, waiting on time to pass... :)

You could try doing laps to Roan High Knob with a full pack to make the time go faster.

Speaking of full packs, what did you use on the PCT? Are you using the same pack for the CDT?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

englishben
05-29-2015, 15:01
Hi, I will be flying to the states and starting some of the CDT SOBO around june 20th (walk in permits permitting). Im not hiking the whole trail(as i have put no where near enough planning in) but definitely glacier and a little beyond. if anyone is heading south around the same time give me a shout,

thanks
ben

Venchka
06-02-2015, 12:45
Hi, I will be flying to the states and starting some of the CDT SOBO around june 20th (walk in permits permitting). Im not hiking the whole trail(as i have put no where near enough planning in) but definitely glacier and a little beyond. if anyone is heading south around the same time give me a shout,

thanks
ben

If you can get through Glacier & The Bob and out to Lincoln, MT, I think that you should just keep going. As a low snow year, this may be the best time to just go for it. However, fires will probably be more possible this year. There is never a perfect time & if you're here, keep going.

Wayne

Marta
06-03-2015, 08:42

This was taken on June 1, looking north on Lake McDonald towards the Garden Wall beyond the far end of the lake. You can see how little snow there is for this time of year. The river and lake levels are unusually low, too.

Venchka
06-03-2015, 11:46
And me still stuck at work. Rats! :eek:
By the time I get there, the glaciers will probably be fully active again. :D :cool:

Wayne

Marta
06-09-2015, 09:14
I ran into a CDT SOBO on Sunday, Jeremy, from Arkansas. He said he had completed a winter AT thru about a month ago. When I saw him he was on a spur trail heading towards St. Mary.