PDA

View Full Version : Winter starting early this year in Montana?

Marta
08-21-2014, 22:56
GNP is warning of unseasonably cold temperatures for the next few days, with SNOW possible above 6500'. In August!

atmilkman
08-21-2014, 23:18
GNP is warning of unseasonably cold temperatures for the next few days, with SNOW possible above 6500'. In August!
I watched the fireworks one year on the Fourth of July and it started snowing. And this was Billings. Summer lasted all of 3 weeks in August that year. Ice storms came the first part of Sept. and tore trees down. It looked like a hurricane does in FL. I hope the same doesn't happen where you're at and the trees get to drop their leaves before any big snows.

ryanwflynn
08-21-2014, 23:51
I heard snow is expected above 10,000' her on Utah.

chiefiepoo
08-23-2014, 14:13
Well; im still in the way. Right now sitting out sime heavy rain un Mandan ND. Be there in west glacier late Sunday. Any rooms at Essex ?

Dogwood
08-23-2014, 15:57
A lighter snow on the peaks just makes for a more scenic GNP in August.

It's not totally out of the question to get snow at those elevs in those places at this time of the yr. Is it?

Dogwood
08-23-2014, 16:04
I had flurries amounting to about 1-2 " on the ground going SOBO on the CDT through Bob Marshall and Anacond Pintler Wildereness for a few days in July.

garlic08
08-23-2014, 16:13
Hi, Marta;

GP and I are in Seattle right now and I'm heading up to the Wonderland Trail tomorrow. Forecast for tonight is snow at Paradise. My 30F quilt is going to get tested yet again.

Enjoy the white stuff!

colorado_rob
08-23-2014, 17:54
IT snowed on us Today on Mt. Sherman in Colorado. Very normal, actually.

bearcreek
08-24-2014, 22:03
We've been "pulling covers" the last few nights in Durango. Definitely cooling off out there....

Venchka
08-24-2014, 23:16
A lighter snow on the peaks just makes for a more scenic GNP in August.

It's not totally out of the question to get snow at those elevs in those places at this time of the yr. Is it?

Nope. Practically normal.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Marta
08-24-2014, 23:52
What's different this year is how wet July and August have been. We're usually more worried about forest fires than snow in August.

The mountainsides as as green as they are in the spring right now, instead of the usual late-summer brown. The huckleberry crop has been unreal, with berries reaching the size of commercial blueberries.

Marta
09-01-2014, 09:21
Brrr. Worse than snow--freezing rain yesterday in Logan Pass.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2014, 13:41
Farmer's Almanac saying a repeat of last year. http://news.yahoo.com/farmers-almanac-predicts-another-nasty-winter-154326000.html

Marta
09-08-2014, 10:05
Farmer's Almanac saying a repeat of last year. http://news.yahoo.com/farmers-almanac-predicts-another-nasty-winter-154326000.html

Seems likely so far, although the summer has been wetter and cooler than 2013. The snowfields that lasted through the summer this year were larger and more numerous than in 2012 or 2013.

Snow is in the forecast for this Wednesday at our elevation (3700'). In the forecast for East Glacier Tuesday and Wednesday.

Here we go… :)

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 10:07
Seems likely so far, although the summer has been wetter and cooler than 2013. The snowfields that lasted through the summer this year were larger and more numerous than in 2012 or 2013.

Snow is in the forecast for this Wednesday at our elevation (3700'). In the forecast for East Glacier Tuesday and Wednesday.

Here we go… :)Wow, that was quick, seems like just yesterday you were waiting for it to melt so you could start hiking.

Marta
09-11-2014, 20:01
Last snow at my house was June 17th. First snow at my house was yesterday, Sept. 10.

It has been a short summer.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

Spirit Walker
09-11-2014, 20:14
When we did our CDT hike in 1999, we had last snow July 4 in the Anaconda Pintlars in and first snow September 3 in the Bighorns. Neither was very big, but it felt very odd to me. We were told by locals that 4th of July snow was pretty common in Montana. Our first big snow was September 18th.

In 2006, we had our first snow in Glacier on September 16. A week before it was in the 80's. We had picked up winter gear a few days before and felt really strange carrying 5 degree bags, but we were really happy we had it when we needed it, especially since we still had to hike from Glacier to Butte and it was COLD.

garlic08
09-11-2014, 20:16
Here in Colorado, one local weather joke is that there are only two seasons--winter, and Fourth of July. When you get snow on the Fourth, that's just plain lousy.

We're expecting a little snow tonight at 6,000'.

rocketsocks
09-11-2014, 20:22
I liked Bill Brysons comment about winter in Vermont in "a walk in the woods"

...9 months of winter and 3 months of very poor sledding.

rocketsocks
09-11-2014, 20:23
Last snow at my house was June 17th. First snow at my house was yesterday, Sept. 10.

It has been a short summer.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfmThat's just crazy! I like my seasons.

Malto
09-11-2014, 20:42
Wow, have a friend on the CDT heading into the Bob. he may be in for an interested finish.

RockDoc
09-11-2014, 21:03
Not so strange. It snows every month of the year in Montana in the higher mtns.

Marta
09-12-2014, 09:52
I liked Bill Brysons comment about winter in Vermont in "a walk in the woods"

...9 months of winter and 3 months of very poor sledding.

Ah, tropical Vermont. Here it's ten months of winter, and two months of mighty poor sledding.

(Our neighbors across the street are retiring here from Lethbridge, Alberta. They love how warm and not-windy it is west of the Divide.)

East Glacier got more than 6" of snow day before yesterday--that's pretty good sledding.

OTOH, it's supposed to be 80 by next Monday. And no fires around here this summer--but lots of cold rain.

Don't you just love the mountains? When you think you've seen it all, something new crops up.

Marta
09-12-2014, 09:57
Wow, have a friend on the CDT heading into the Bob. he may be in for an interested finish.

There has been so much rain the rivers are higher than usual this time of year. And there have been a number of days when the rain has been so heavy and so cold I'm really glad I'm not hiking in it, nor tenting in a lightweight tent.

colorado_rob
09-12-2014, 10:41
Well, it's 34 degrees here in west-Denver suburbs, plus a dusting of snow happened overnight, more in the higher foothills. So: early in CO perhaps as well? I love it; tuning up the skis this weekend. bring it on!

10-K
09-12-2014, 14:05
A question from someone in the SE USA who doesn't understand that kind of weather.... Is this shaping up to be anything to put off a July CDT hike?

Common sense tells me that it's too early to even guess and that by July whatever's there will be gone anyway but then again... what do I know about Montana snow? Dip, that's what. :)

Feral Bill
09-12-2014, 15:14
There is no telling what the weather will be next July. Next week, maybe.

Venchka
09-12-2014, 17:29
10-K,
Just do it! You said that you plan to hike the CDT in two chunks over two years. Next spring, pick a feasible chunk and go for it.
As someone with a tiny amount of experience in the Rockies from New Mexico to Mount Robson Provincial Park from July to mid-October, snow this time of year is not a problem. Here today. Gone tomorrow. Maybe gone the same day. Prolonged rain is another story that I am not familiar with. However, I have seen rain in Yellowstone every time I have been there. Usually light. Nothing to get excited about. What Marta is talking about this year is totally different and unusual.
Go for it!

Wayne

10-K
09-12-2014, 17:35
Last year it was the snow in the Sierra... Guess I just need something to worry about. July 15 is the date. Unless I'm physically unable or there is a problem at home it will absolutely happen.

Coffee
09-12-2014, 17:37
Well, it's 34 degrees here in west-Denver suburbs, plus a dusting of snow happened overnight, more in the higher foothills. So: early in CO perhaps as well? I love it; tuning up the skis this weekend. bring it on!

Wow, crazy weather! At one point, I had planned to hike from Durango to Denver starting late August and ending late September. My decision to go Denver to Durango starting late July seems pretty good to me now.

Mags
09-12-2014, 18:07
Funny thing, it is supposed to be 70F (50F in the high country) and sunny tomorrow. Typical fall weather in Colorado. A snow squall followed by warmer, sunny weather.

It does mean winter is close, though!

Venchka
09-12-2014, 21:00
Last year it was the snow in the Sierra... Guess I just need something to worry about. July 15 is the date. Unless I'm physically unable or there is a problem at home it will absolutely happen.

There you go. Just be flexible. Adapt to what Mother Nature gives you.
Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Marta
09-12-2014, 23:18
July 15 is a very reasonable start date. You might even be able to start in Waterton, instead of Chief Mtn. The shuttle buses will be running; all the roads should be open and the bridges in. You'll probably have to cross some snow, but it won't the the tough snow travel you'd find a month earlier. In July the snow pack shrinks dramatically every single day, and flowers spring up around the edges. It's gorgeous.