PDA

View Full Version : Long weekend hike in VA

DMoose
08-22-2014, 08:15
Planning along weekend hike on the AT somewhere around the Grayson Highlands.... Any suggestions( half days Fri/Sun) looking at about 20-25 miles. Planning the trip for late Sept. early Oct. What should I expect for weather conditions? Thanks.

bigcranky
08-22-2014, 08:24
Sure. Park at the Backpacker's Parking Lot at Grayson Highlands State Park. It costs a couple of bucks a day but it's safe. Hike up the blue blaze trail from the parking area to the A.T. From there you have several good loop hike choices:

1. The short hike: Make a loop of the Pine Mountain Trail and the AT. This is about 12-13 miles. (All of these should be obvious when you look at the National Geo map of the area.) Lots of open balds, great views, wild ponies, a couple of climbs but nothing too hard.

2. Long hike: Take the AT south over Wilburn Ridge past Thomas Knob Shelter at Mt Rogers to Deep Gap, where you take the Mt Rogers Trail down to the road at VA 603, then climb up the other side to the Iron Mountain Trail near Cherry Tree Shelter. Hang a right on the IMT for a few miles until in intersects with the AT, then turn right again and head southbound back to VA 603 and climb up the AT and loop around to your car. About 24 miles. Several good climbs. More than half of this is in the woods, but you'll still get plenty of good views.

There are some options that split the difference, such as walking halfway down the Mt Rogers Trail and cutting over to the Lewis Fork Trail, and heading down to Old Orchard Shelter where you'll hit the AT again. Etc. The trails are generally well marked and the map is a big help.

Weather should be awesome, not too hot during the day and probably into the 40s at night. It's generally the dry season, but of course you could pick the one weekend when it's raining the whole time :) A few days before you leave, ask here on WB about how the water is running in the springs up in the high country.

DMoose
08-22-2014, 08:30
I was hoping to stay on the AT the whole time trying to knock out sections when I can.

bigcranky
08-22-2014, 11:09
Oh, okay.

It's 24 miles from Elk Garden to Damascus, which makes a nice 2-night hike. There's only one open bald at the top of Whitetop.

If you park at the Grayson Highlands lot, you could get a shuttle to Dickey Gap, spend the first night at Hurricane Shelter and the second at Wise Shelter. Not sure how far that is, but the middle day would be the longest part of it.

saltysack
08-22-2014, 11:46
Last nov I did 603 sobo to Damascus..40 miles..
Got shuttle from MRO $50 hiked back to truck at there hostel in Damascus.... Favorite section of AT !!! I started about 11am Friday and back st truck by 11 am on sun.... Plan to do it again this year w my 8yr old..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-DOG
08-22-2014, 15:08
Planning along weekend hike on the AT somewhere around the Grayson Highlands.... Any suggestions( half days Fri/Sun) looking at about 20-25 miles. Planning the trip for late Sept. early Oct. What should I expect for weather conditions? Thanks.
Expect mild temps during the days but cool during the nights maybe as low as freezing also expect wet conditions, so go expecting cool wet conditions.