PDA

View Full Version : Some info on proposed missile base in Rangeley Maine Area

peakbagger
08-22-2014, 08:15
The Navy facility near Rangeley Maine has made the short list for a proposed missile defense system. This facility is currently used for survival training and is essentially kept undeveloped with the exception of a base camp. It is immediately north of the AT in the stretch from Saddleback to Spaulding. There was a local hearing and a local reporter from Northern NH reported on it.

Here is link the local paper, the article starts on page 1 and is continued on page 2 and 3. http://www.colebrookchronicle.com/August222014.pdf

This project is driven by politicians, the military early on really didnt want to expend resources but east coast congressmen have told them to look into it. The depressing part is there is a very large abandoned radar facility about 30 miles east and the old Loring AFB in Limestone Maine in Northern Maine that are partially developed that could be used.

Slo-go'en
08-22-2014, 10:43
This might be the area where there was a sign on the AT which warned not to carry explosives any farther or they might explode due to high levels of Electromagnetic Radiation. I believe there was a high power VLF radio transmitter near there which the Navy used to communicate with subs.

Rain Man
08-22-2014, 15:27
This project is driven by politicians ....

A bit like blaming lawyers for conduct of corporate clients, when the true culprits would be the puppet master corporations after a few (or lots) bucks?

There is blame. I'm just saying it does no good to ignore the actual culprits and blame a scapegoat instead, even if in the case of politicians they well deserve it too.

Rain Man

ocasey3
08-22-2014, 15:33
This might be the area where there was a sign on the AT which warned not to carry explosives any farther or they might explode due to high levels of Electromagnetic Radiation. I believe there was a high power VLF radio transmitter near there which the Navy used to communicate with subs.
This is located on the coast of Maine near Cutler. It is quite impressive. And eerie in the fog.

Ktaadn
08-22-2014, 15:54
A bit like blaming lawyers for conduct of corporate clients, when the true culprits would be the puppet master corporations after a few (or lots) bucks?

There is blame. I'm just saying it does no good to ignore the actual culprits and blame a scapegoat instead, even if in the case of politicians they well deserve it too.

Rain Man

Actually, it is the politicians' job to regulate the corporations, not be bribed by them as you imply.

Hopefully the site will not e developed.

wnderer
08-22-2014, 16:40

Here's a map. The orange squiggly line is the AT.