PDA

View Full Version : Newbie climbing Mt. Katahdin with MANY questions.

Fatherof2
08-22-2014, 09:24
Hi Gang,

First post here, and I have many questions about my upcoming climb of Mt. Katahdin.

My 9 year old son and I will be heading up September 12th. We have reservations for the Roaring Brook bunkhouse on Friday night, and a lean-to at Chimney Pond on Saturday night.

Here are my many questions. (Thanks for any input.)

1. How long of a hike is it to Chimney Pond from RB? I guess we would be taking the CP trail. Assume we are slow.

2. How warm of a bag does one need for CP in mid September?

3. If the weather is good, and we can try for the summit, what would be the easiest way up and back to CP? Up Saddle and back down Saddle to CP? About how long would that take for slow newbies?

4. I have watched video on Youtube, and many kids are wearing sneakers. Is that OK for a 9 year old boy?

5. Can anyone recommend a good "instant meal in a pack" from REI? Are they nutritious? Taste OK?

6. Can I get fresh water at CP?

7. Can I leave some gear at CP if we try for the summit?

8. Is a stove recommended?

Thanks so much for any input and advice!

David

Slo-go'en
08-22-2014, 10:18
1) It's 3.3 miles from RB to the pond and a fairly easy walk. The book says it's a 2 3/4 hour hike, so figure 3 or 4 at the most. There is a good lunch spot 3/4 of the way, with good views of the mountain.

2) A minimum of 30 degree bag. It's gets pretty chilly up there, especially early in the morning. It takes a while for the sun to get high enough to shine in the basin.

3)There is no "easy way" to the summit. Of the three choices, the Saddle trail has the least amount of near vertical climbing. You ascend 2,353 feet in 2.2 miles. The book estimates the climb takes 3.5 hours, but plan on it being an all day hike. Bring plenty of water, as once you start climbing, there is none.

From the trail description:

Mile 1.0 "Emerge from scub and climbe VERY steeply up loose gravel and rocks of Saddle Slide. Use care not to disturb loose rocks.Form here to Baxter peak trail is above tree line and is exposed".

4) Sneakers don't have great traction or support and have soft soles which makes them less then ideal for walking on rocky trail. You see kids wearing them because that's all they know. I'd get a cheap pair of boots from Walmart.

5) Freeze dried meals actually taste pretty good these days. Get a couple of different ones and try them at home first.

6) We used to get water directly from the pond, this is probably still the case.

7) You can leave your extra gear at the lean to or maybe with the Ranger. If your hiking to the summit the same day you have to leave, which I believe you will have to do, pack up everything before you head up as another group will likely have reservations for the lean to that night and you don't want your gear all over the place when they arrive.

8) If you want hot food, a stove is recommended! I don't believe camp fires are allowed at CP.

Good luck, the Chimney Pond Basin is spectacular and mid September should have plenty of fall colors.

Fatherof2
08-22-2014, 10:47
Slo,

Thanks so much for your input.

When you say 3.5 hours up the Saddle trail to the top, I assume that means one way. Should I plan for the same amount of time to get down to CP?

My plan is to summit on Saturday and come back down to CP to stay the night. Leave on Sunday.

peakbagger
08-22-2014, 12:56
My comments are in bold

Hi Gang,

First post here, and I have many questions about my upcoming climb of Mt. Katahdin.

My 9 year old son and I will be heading up September 12th. We have reservations for the Roaring Brook bunkhouse on Friday night, and a lean-to at Chimney Pond on Saturday night. Wow you are there at just about the prime prime time to be there

Here are my many questions. (Thanks for any input.)

1. How long of a hike is it to Chimney Pond from RB? I guess we would be taking the CP trail. Assume we are slow. 2 hours max, take your time stop at the basin ponds, if the water is low there is the remains of an slice dam on the outlet brook from basin pond (around the point to your right)

2. How warm of a bag does one need for CP in mid September? 30 degree should work but some may want to bring an extra fleece. Definitely bring cold weather gear for the morning and evening as it cools down quick and take awhile to warm up in the AM.

3. If the weather is good, and we can try for the summit, what would be the easiest way up and back to CP? Up Saddle and back down Saddle to CP? About how long would that take for slow newbies? The Saddle is the best option. The hamlin.

4. I have watched video on Youtube, and many kids are wearing sneakers. Is that OK for a 9 year old boy? That is a loaded question, many advocate hiking boots but considering I use trail runners on all the trails at Baxter, I am biased. They do need good tread and have to be in good shape

5. Can anyone recommend a good "instant meal in a pack" from REI? Are they nutritious? Taste OK? Dehydrated food is hit or miss, the portions tend to be off compared to a normal hikers, generally double them. I normally carry normal food and plenty of it for the hike up from Roaring brook

6. Can I get fresh water at CP?All water in the park needs to be treated, the rangers wont say it but they dont. Portable Aqua tabs are the least cost but they leave an aftertaste.

7. Can I leave some gear at CP if we try for the summit? Yes, general courtesy is that if you do hike on Sunday that you have your gear packed and in one place peferably out of the way so if the next party arrives it not in their way

8. Is a stove recommended? You need a stove at chimney pond as there are no fires and you definitely want to warm food for breakfast. There is wood stove in the roaring brook bunkhouse but its more for heating than cooking.

Here are some general comments

You need to hang your food off the bear line at Chimney Pond so you need a spare stuff sack

If you havent been up there, dont trust your GPS to get you to the park. Plan on longer then expected drive form the Interstate to the Campground.

Most folks bring water in the trunk for Roaring brook to avoid the water treatment hassle.

If you arent in the mood to summit Pamola Caves is fun place to visit and lay around in. Even if you dont summit Hamlin, the walk up the ridge trail to ridgeline is impressive as you views into the basin on the other side.

Thanks so much for any input and advice!

David

bangorme
08-22-2014, 13:54
My family used to do Kadahdin every Labor Day weekend. I've seen it snowing on the summit during a couple of these excursions. Bad weather is not uncommon, and the summit can be in clouds with lots of fog up there. Chimney Pond, as many have stated here, can be quite cold at night. The reward is a FANTASTIC view if you get good weather, and the view of the mountain from Chimney Pond is unforgettable. I can still remember the first time I saw it.

Slo-go'en
08-22-2014, 21:35
If you want to get to the summit Saturday from RB, you'd best leave really early in the morning. You have a long hike ahead of you and you have to stop at the lean-to first and regroup before heading up. Coming back down is typically faster, but it can be more dangerous. You have to watch your footing more going down and your already tired. Accidents often occur coming down at the end of a hard day.

Mid September it's starting to get dark early and with Chimney pond being on the north side and surrounded by high ridges, it gets dark in the Basin really early. With any kind of overcast, it just gets worse. Bring headlamps with you just in case it takes longer then expected.

Fatherof2
08-28-2014, 08:08
Thanks so much for all the helpful input!!