PDA

View Full Version : ground cloth for copper spur 2

squeezebox
08-22-2014, 09:28
I am planning on buying a copper spur 2 this weekend. So I have a question or 2 about a ground cloth.
Store bought ground cloth costs too much. I have a double car garage door sized piece of tyvek, I put it thru the clothes washer to bust up the stiffness. I've heard that tyvek is not waterproof.
1) I'm planning on siliconizing it. Silicone thinned out with mineral spirits. spread ground cloth out on a piece of plywood or such. paint roller used to spread silicone solution, let coat dry. 3-4 coats, guessing it will add an oz or 2.
2) wondering whether to ground cloth the vestibules or not. 18 sq. ft of vestibule will add over 1/2 to the ground cloth wt. adding 3-4 oz I guess. from 5 oz to 9 oz wt. I'll have a sit pad, pack cover and pack liner those should go a long way.
3) If I have a ground cloth folded up, why would I carry a sit pad of 2 oz
Thanks for your opinion.

saltysack
08-22-2014, 09:42
Tyvek is fine no need to silicone...ditch the bag tent comes w,... Wrap up in tyvek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikernutcasey
08-22-2014, 09:44
I am planning on buying a copper spur 2 this weekend. So I have a question or 2 about a ground cloth.
Store bought ground cloth costs too much. I have a double car garage door sized piece of tyvek, I put it thru the clothes washer to bust up the stiffness. I've heard that tyvek is not waterproof.
1) I'm planning on siliconizing it. Silicone thinned out with mineral spirits. spread ground cloth out on a piece of plywood or such. paint roller used to spread silicone solution, let coat dry. 3-4 coats, guessing it will add an oz or 2.
2) wondering whether to ground cloth the vestibules or not. 18 sq. ft of vestibule will add over 1/2 to the ground cloth wt. adding 3-4 oz I guess. from 5 oz to 9 oz wt. I'll have a sit pad, pack cover and pack liner those should go a long way.
Thanks for your opinion.I bought this (http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html) for mine and it works great. You won't find anything lighter and it is surprisingly durable.

swisscross
08-22-2014, 09:45
I have the BA ground cloth for my CS-UL1. Not only does it cost too much (bought my tent used and it came with it) but it weighs too much also.

It is a neat design as you can set up fly/ground cloth (no tent body). It is also nice as it helps you set up fly in the rain then suspend tent from underneath staying much more dry.

All that and I never carry the BA ground sheet, unless I plan on not taking the tent body.
I prefer Gossamer Gear Polycryo ground sheet.
If you go this direction, be sure to let it sit out in the heat/sun for a day before cutting it to fit your tent. It does shrink.
As for your vestibule, your call. I prefer a small piece of tyvek. I use it to sit on, set pack on if muddy out and in the vestibule.

Not lazy and I like DIY projects but "Silicone thinned out with mineral spirits" seems like a pain.

I like using a ground cloth. Keeps tent cleaner and tends to last longer.

swisscross
08-22-2014, 09:46
I bought this (http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html) for mine and it works great. You won't find anything lighter and it is surprisingly durable.

Beat me to it!

hikernutcasey
08-22-2014, 09:49
Beat me to it!Great minds think alike, right?

I never thought about the shrinking. To be honest I haven't even cut mine. I just stuff the excess up under the edges of the tent. Never had a problem.

squeezebox
08-22-2014, 10:57
But what about the extra tyvek for the vestibules , or not ?

hikernutcasey
08-22-2014, 11:04
But what about the extra tyvek for the vestibules , or not ?Personally, I don't use anything in the vestibules. Just don't set your tent up in a mud hole and you should be fine. The fly will keep the ground under there dry. Just more weight in my opinion but to each there own.

swisscross
08-22-2014, 11:22
"As for your vestibule, your call. I prefer a small piece of tyvek. I use it to sit on, set pack on if muddy out and in the vestibule."

atmilkman
08-22-2014, 11:31
Thanks for your opinion.
Have you bought the tent yet? I've got CS UL2 w/footprint that I'll make you a good deal on. Used very little in excellent condition. Near mint. Also has the gear loft. Not one thing missing, not even a stake.