PDA

View Full Version : Alaska backpacking

stag3
10-09-2005, 22:39
I have a few hikers looking to do the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska and into BC, Canada in mid-2006. This is 5 days on the trail, plus some local tranportation.

Well, before I start posting the seemingly endless list of questions, has anyone actually hiked this trail, and will you share your experience?

This seems like a graet hike--goolgle has more than you will want to read.

The Solemates
10-10-2005, 15:31
Never done this trail, but have done others in AK, so if you have any general questions maybe I can help.

Stale Cracker
10-10-2005, 15:42
Solemates - If you had to pick a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska, where would it be? Me and a group of friends just got back from a rim to rim at the Grand Canyon and are trying to plan next years' epic. We are old farts so nothing too extreem but the Canyon was a gas.

In so far as general questions are concerned -

My map and compass skills are not that great. Do I need to take a course?

I have heard folks say that the bugs can be awful. That's one of the good things about the Southwest. How did you find it?

Is local transportation expensive?

The Solemates
10-10-2005, 16:35
Solemates - If you had to pick a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska, where would it be? Me and a group of friends just got back from a rim to rim at the Grand Canyon and are trying to plan next years' epic. We are old farts so nothing too extreem but the Canyon was a gas.

In so far as general questions are concerned -

My map and compass skills are not that great. Do I need to take a course?

I have heard folks say that the bugs can be awful. That's one of the good things about the Southwest. How did you find it?

Is local transportation expensive?

I have been several places hiking in AK, but my first trip ever back in 1998 was probably my favorite of all, because the itenerary we had and the places we went were awesome. I would say the ideal first-time trip would follow our trip.

First, fly into Anchorage. Get a shuttle to Hope, AK, on the Kenai Peninsula. On your way, perhaps stop by Portal Glacier, which is literally 5 minutes out of the way. We paid $100 for someone to shuttle 2 people in 2005, but that was a guy bending over backwards for us. Expect to pay near $200 for the shuttle, which takes a good 3-3.5 hours. I would go with a private shuttler rather than a bus line, because a bus line will only drop you off at the Hope junction. From there, its 16 miles down a dirt road with no traffic, and the likelihood of hitching into Hope is very slim. A private shuttler will take you all the way in to Hope. Hope is about 4 houses and a convenience store.

Then hike across the Kenai via tying together the Ressurection Trail, Russian Lakes Trail, and Ressurection River Trail. This is about 80 miles or so, so plan for about 5 days give or take. The terrain is relatively easy. There are thousands of places to fish along the way, so if you bring a rod perhaps give yourself more time. Expect to see at least a couple of moose along the way. There are also backcountry cabins along the way. I think they are $20 a night, but they are never locked. :)

These trails will spit you out near the town of Seward, near Exit Glacier. Be sure to spend some time at the Glacier before hitching a ride into town, which shouldnt be hard. Spend a couple of days in Seward, and definitely do the Kenai Fjords Tour. I have done both the 1/2 day and the full days Tours, and I would recommend the full day because you get to see so much more. Expect to see sea otters, bald eagles, humpback whales, sharks, dolphins, puffins, sea lions, walruses, glaciers calving into the ocean, and much more!

From Seward, take the backcountry train to Denali National Park. This unique trailway will take you through very remote country with magnificent views. It will take all day to travel this distance, as it is hundreds of miles. You will learn that AK is huge!

Once in Denali, spend a week in one of their backcountry quandrants. You may have to spend a few nights in a "less desired" quadrant for the first couple of nights, because it is first come, first served. Wonder Lake (#15) is one of the ones I enjoyed, and its the one is all the photos, which displays McKinley's reflection into its waters. In the park, expect to see herds and herds and herds and herds of Caribou, perhaps some Grizzlies, and even the mountain if she decides to show herself. The Park has no trails, so you will need to be handy with map and compass. It is all bushwhacking, but it is open tundra so it is rather difficult to get lost. I wouldn't take a class, but I am a do it yourself kinda guy. It is not that difficult to learn how on your own; besides, I grew up doing it.

I remember the bugs being bad, but it is all what you make of it. They certainly were not as bad as many made them out to be, but I find this typical. Just like the rocks of PA along the AT weren't as bad as many complainers make them out to be. But then again, I am not a complainer, and I have spent my time in the Deep Swampy South, so....

Anyways, I'd be happy to answer any other questions. Have fun!

justusryans
11-13-2005, 10:17
I lived in Alaska for a while and I second the recommendation about hiking the Kenai peninsula. Wonderful place. My favorite area of Alaska.

oruoja
11-13-2005, 12:15
Attempted the Chilkoot Trail in 1985, but had to turn back due to unstable snow conditions in early June. If you can do it it is in a very impressive area. Now that the White Pass narrow guage rail is back I believe you can get back to Skagway, Ak from Lake Bennett. From Skagway you can get on the Alaska Marine Highway system ferries and connect to Haines, Juneau, Sitka, etc. Haines has some nice trails and the Haines Hwy leads north to Haines Jct Yukon Territory where it intersects with the Alaska-Canada Hwy. Afterliving in AK for over 21 years I found my trips to Southeast Alaska were the most enjoyable over all due to the variety of the scenery. Combining driving, the ferry, and hiking you can really see a lot as well as spending some time in Northern BC and Yukon. Also, from Skagway, Ak you can take the road north to the Alaska Hwy and make a loop trip to Haines, Ak (It's called the Golden Circle route). From Haines it is about 780 or so miles to Anchorage, Ak from where the Seward Hwy leads to Kenai Peninsula mentioned in the prior posts.

JojoSmiley
11-13-2005, 23:24
Just hiked this trail this year in August. Had spectacular weather and hot temps. We wrote a journal and I posted it on trailjournals.com under Jojo Smiley. Posted some pics too. Check it out and if you have any questions just let me know.