Not a lot of deals but a couple good ones are:

Copper Spur 2 for $299

Darn tough socks 25% off

Dholmblad
08-22-2014, 15:24
too bad its not fly creek..

Dogwood
08-22-2014, 16:49
I haven't stepped into an REI in more than a year and haven't spent one dollar with them in at least that long. I used to make it a point to stop in at an REI wherever I was traveling regularly spending $2000 or more per yr patronizing them I, as well as a few others I've spoken too, don't shop at REI as much as we once did since the instituting of REI's new harder line return policy. REI once had a very amenable return policy that, despite their claim that the new return policy was needed to prevent fraud, etc, could have been amended in other ways to protect themselves without being so aggressive.

Venchka
08-22-2014, 17:04
Darn tough socks 25% off

That is a better deal than the tents.

Wayne

hikernutcasey
08-22-2014, 20:14
I haven't stepped into an REI in more than a year and haven't spent one dollar with them in at least that long. I used to make it a point to stop in at an REI wherever I was traveling regularly spending $2000 or more per yr patronizing them I, as well as a few others I've spoken too, don't shop at REI as much as we once did since the instituting of REI's new harder line return policy. REI once had a very amenable return policy that, despite their claim that the new return policy was needed to prevent fraud, etc, could have been amended in other ways to protect themselves without being so aggressive.

Wow...I just thought someone might want a good deal in some socks

Venchka
08-22-2014, 21:18
LL Bean now has the best policy. Granted, their inventory may not be right for everyone, but if you do not like something send it back. Even after an extensive trial period. The Cresta Hiking Shorts are top notch. I live in them.

Wayne

sympathetic joy
08-22-2014, 22:52

I'm not sure what the old policy was, but early this month I returned a tent to REI that I had for just over 1 year. The sales attendant gave me full credit back to my credit card and said that its 100% satisfaction for 1 year. I was just over a few days so she went ahead and did the return.

I"m not sure why someone would need more than a year to decide if something works for them or not.

colorado_rob
08-22-2014, 23:26
I"m not sure why someone would need more than a year to decide if something works for them or not.Yep. The mind absolutely boggles that anyone would think REI doesn't still have an excellent return policy. The only reason they started limiting to "1 year" (and they are flexible on that) was to stop abuse, like people returning items that were completely worn out after years of use, expecting a full refund. Again, the mind boggles.

squeezebox
08-22-2014, 23:41
which darn tough socks do you suggest, I generally wear just over the ankle socks, I plan on getting a pair of compression sleeves for what that is worth.

hikernutcasey
08-25-2014, 09:35
which darn tough socks do you suggest, I generally wear just over the ankle socks, I plan on getting a pair of compression sleeves for what that is worth.It's a personal preference I guess but I like the ankle high version the best.

Odd Man Out
08-25-2014, 09:50
which darn tough socks do you suggest, I generally wear just over the ankle socks, I plan on getting a pair of compression sleeves for what that is worth.

I have one pair of light cushion hikers and one pair of medium cushion hikers that I rotate when hiking. Both are micro crew length. The medium cushion ones come in a special ATC edition. I don't think REI has these, but they do have the light hiker. I get them from SocksAddict. They are on sale for about the same price as REI, plus free shipping.

http://www.socksaddict.com/3880-Darn-Tough-Men-s-Merino-Wool-Hike-Trek-ATC-Micro-Crew-Socks---Special-Edition.aspx

Old Hiker
08-25-2014, 10:08
I have one pair of light cushion hikers and one pair of medium cushion hikers that I rotate when hiking. Both are micro crew length. The medium cushion ones come in a special ATC edition. I don't think REI has these, but they do have the light hiker. I get them from SocksAddict. They are on sale for about the same price as REI, plus free shipping.

http://www.socksaddict.com/3880-Darn-Tough-Men-s-Merino-Wool-Hike-Trek-ATC-Micro-Crew-Socks---Special-Edition.aspx

Hey, those are mine, too !! I really like them. Just be careful: I've had 3 (three!!) singles disappear in the dryer. I now have 3 (three) unmatched singles. Sheesh. I thought the underpants gnomes just took underpants.

I also liked the LLBean Cresta socks, but they don't make them with the bug repellent added anymore.

Sailing_Faith
08-25-2014, 13:15
Wow...I just thought someone might want a good deal in some socks

I love REI. I have never abused their return policy, and wish others had not so it might hav been able to be maintained... But I do not fault them for changing it.

I like their branded gear, and my only complaint is that they don't have more outlets in the he south....

Thankfully, I am in north California right now and I will make a trip down today to get ready for an upcoming trip. Thanks for posting. :)

Odd Man Out
08-25-2014, 14:53
Hey, those are mine, too !! I really like them. Just be careful: I've had 3 (three!!) singles disappear in the dryer. I now have 3 (three) unmatched singles. Sheesh. I thought the underpants gnomes just took underpants.

I also liked the LLBean Cresta socks, but they don't make them with the bug repellent added anymore.

Also, Darn Tough Socks come with a lifetime guarantee from Darn Tough. It doesn't matter where you buy them. If they wear out, they replace them. Unfortunately they don't guarantee against old hikers losing socks :-(

But OH, just wear two socks of different colors. If anyone laughs at you just tell them "HA! I have another pair just like this one at home!"

ATL Backpacker
08-25-2014, 15:26
$299 for the CS2 is the lowest price I've seen for a new one from any retailer. I think they only offer that price 1x year.

Starchild
08-25-2014, 16:39
Thank you I may have just bought a lifetime supply of Darn Tough socks.

Dogwood
08-25-2014, 18:13
I'm not sure what the old policy was, but early this month I returned a tent to REI that I had for just over 1 year. The sales attendant gave me full credit back to my credit card and said that its 100% satisfaction for 1 year. I was just over a few days so she went ahead and did the return.

I"m not sure why someone would need more than a year to decide if something works for them or not.

Yep. The mind absolutely boggles that anyone would think REI doesn't still have an excellent return policy. The only reason they started limiting to "1 year" (and they are flexible on that) was to stop abuse, like people returning items that were completely worn out after years of use, expecting a full refund. Again, the mind boggles.

This situation was not what I was referring to. I'm not into nor ever entertained abusing REI's older return policy. I even publically spoke out against it when I felt others were doing so. Like when I've heard of some returning obviously well used non warranty issue gear, like shoes, in order to obtain free replacements. YES, that's return abuse. I'm referring to two REI branded shirts I recieved as gifts that the non REI Member buyer lost the receipt for and which was paid for in cash. They were unused with the tags and REI's tracking #'s still attached. I explained to customer service at what REI they were recently bought and the exact date they were purchased which was only two weeks previous. I attempted to exchange them for a larger size of the same yr, model, design, color etc but just a size larger. That's all I wanted. REI refused to do that. That DEFINTELY IS NOT the same REI return policy of old!

Sorry, Hikernutcasey. Didn't intend to drift. I did have to clarify though.

10-K
08-25-2014, 19:08
That DEFINTELY IS NOT the same REI return policy of old!

Based on the anecdotal stories I've heard, how heavy-handed the return policy is interpreted is dependent on which employee helps you and what mood they might happen to be in.

colorado_rob
08-25-2014, 19:39
I'm referring to two REI branded shirts I recieved as gifts that the non REI Member buyer lost the receipt for and which was paid for in cash. They were unused with the tags and REI's tracking #'s still attached. I explained to customer service at what REI they were recently bought and the exact date they were purchased which was only two weeks previous. I attempted to exchange them for a larger size of the same yr, model, design, color etc but just a size larger. That's all I wanted. REI refused to do that. That DEFINTELY IS NOT the same REI return policy of old! This sounds like an extreme, outlying case, and probably has nothing whatsoever to do with their return policy, just a grumpy employee or whatever. Never, ever heard a story like this at any REI, this is a first. Unacceptable, of course, but one of a kind I bet.

YEah, sorry for the drift!

Dogwood
08-25-2014, 22:50
I'm not into bitching about stuff like this. That's not my style. However, I do think the way I was treated in this incidence was uncalled for. I spoke to the REI Customer Service Manager at this store in Atlanta. She too took a very hardline no exceptions approach. I was promptly told this was REI's new return policy at any store. I didn't believe them. As you say Colorado Rob, I too thought it may be that particular REI store or perhaps me encountering a couple of REI employees in a bad mood so I went to a different Georgia REI and received the same hardline this is the new return policy talk. I wound up with two REI shirts too small that didn't fit and there was nothing I could do.

Again, I apologize Casey. Didn't intend to move so far from your original post.

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2014, 23:12

Sorry you feel that way... I shop there a lot.. no worries...Ems not so much at all.

hikehunter
08-25-2014, 23:29
REI has allways be ok with me. Some of the things are a bit pricey.
GANDER MTN. has "darn tuff for 6.99 a pair till closing Sept.1

Odd Man Out
08-25-2014, 23:38
REI has allways be ok with me. Some of the things are a bit pricey.
GANDER MTN. has "darn tuff for 6.99 a pair till closing Sept.1

That's quite a deal, but I don't see them on their web site. Is this just in the store?

QHShowoman
08-26-2014, 13:48
This situation was not what I was referring to. I'm not into nor ever entertained abusing REI's older return policy. I even publically spoke out against it when I felt others were doing so. Like when I've heard of some returning obviously well used non warranty issue gear, like shoes, in order to obtain free replacements. YES, that's return abuse. I'm referring to two REI branded shirts I recieved as gifts that the non REI Member buyer lost the receipt for and which was paid for in cash. They were unused with the tags and REI's tracking #'s still attached. I explained to customer service at what REI they were recently bought and the exact date they were purchased which was only two weeks previous. I attempted to exchange them for a larger size of the same yr, model, design, color etc but just a size larger. That's all I wanted. REI refused to do that. That DEFINTELY IS NOT the same REI return policy of old!

Sorry, Hikernutcasey. Didn't intend to drift. I did have to clarify though.

I worked customer service at REI for almost 5 years, under the "old" return policy and I would not have done the exchange for you, based on the facts you provided above, simply because you had no proof of purchase. The liberal REI return policy of yore only ever applied to items for which the customer had proof of purchase.

Having the original REI tags intact only proves that these were indeed items from an REI store. Whether they were used or not doesn't make a difference, nor does knowing the date of purchase if you don't have a receipt. It's a pretty common shoplifting scam to grab items off the rack and try to return them for credit or exchange them for different sizes in order to resell them. Granted, we usually saw this with brands other than REI (i.e. The North Face), but the same principle applies.

If you were ever allowed to exchange an item under similar circumstances, it was only because someone was being lenient with REI's policy -- not because the policy was different.

10-K
08-26-2014, 13:50
If you're an REI "member" can past purchases be looked up using your member number by a customer service person?

QHShowoman
08-26-2014, 13:53
If you're an REI "member" can past purchases be looked up using your member number by a customer service person?

Yes, if you purchased an item on your membership, it's stored in a database and can easily be looked up via member number/phone number/name.

Even if the item was a gift and the purchaser was a member, we can look that up and use it as proof of purchase if you wanted to do an exchange or return (but you'd only get a gift card, in that case, since you weren't the original buyer).

ATL Backpacker
08-26-2014, 13:54

Yes, that's the first thing they ask for when you're returning something. Received gifts can be more difficult to return as Dogwood experienced. Happened to me, too.

Starchild
08-26-2014, 14:48
I was disappointed that REI did not replace my Darn Tough socks I bought from someone else. My understanding waws any reseller of Darn Tough would due the replacement, but REI and the Darn Tough web site didn't support this assumption. I ended up mailing them in to Darn Tough.

colorado_rob
08-26-2014, 14:58
I apologize in advance, but I'm going to say something really cynical: The ONLY reasons anyone can possible say (yes say, not actually think) that REI has anything but an excellent return policy is:

1) they had some isolated bad experience, and believe in the one-strike-your-out policy

2) they are trying to act cool and go against the flow and claim they know better, and despite 99.9% of the populations fantastic experiences at REI, they will say they have a lousy return policy, so therefore they won't shop there. Yeah man, I'm that cool.

No Directions
08-26-2014, 19:27
I love REI. Everything about them. No doubt people abused the return policy. I have been to their garage sales and seen hiking boots for sale with worn out soles. They have always done me right on returns but I only return items that are still new. If I use it and just happen to feel like it's not right for me I keep the item.

Dogwood
08-26-2014, 19:56
"The liberal REI return policy of yore only ever applied to items for which the customer had proof of purchase.

I don't know how long you have been employed by REI but that is incorrect. Absolutely NOT true!

I returned items 2-3 times in the past at different REI stores before I was a member that I had lost the receipt for and I was happily without hassle without any hardline return policy talk granted granted a credit or exchange. I used to purchase 100's of items at REI per yr. Through the yrs I did misplace two receipts in ALL those purchases and on one receipt the receipt ink faded in only 60 days since time of purchase so was unreadable. Those three times at three different REI stores I had no proof of purchase. AT all times I was cordially granted a return. I've seen others do returns without proof of purchase who were not members in the past too.

REI could have possibly instituted a fairer return/equal exchange policy in these situations for REI Members and possibly other customers by say limiting annual returns or limiting returns per yr without a receipt. REI instead chose to adopt the current policy of NO returns or exchanges without a receipt. Mind you these were two REI branded unused recently purchased shirts I unhappily had to eat!

Dogwood
08-26-2014, 20:07
"The liberal REI return policy of yore only ever applied to items for which the customer had proof of purchase.

I don't know how long you have been employed by REI but that is incorrect. Absolutely NOT true!

I returned items 2-3 times in the past at different REI stores before I was a member that I had lost the receipt for and I was happily without hassle without any hardline return policy talk granted granted a credit or exchange. I used to purchase 100's of items at REI per yr. Through the yrs I did misplace two receipts in ALL those purchases and on one receipt the receipt ink faded in only 60 days since time of purchase so was unreadable. Those three times at three different REI stores I had no proof of purchase. AT all times I was cordially granted a return. I've seen others do returns without proof of purchase who were not members in the past too.

REI could have possibly instituted a fairer return/equal exchange policy in these situations for REI Members and possibly other customers by say limiting annual returns or limiting returns per yr without a receipt. REI instead chose to adopt the current policy of NO returns or exchanges without a receipt. Mind you these were two REI branded unused recently purchased shirts I unhappily had to eat!

Dogwood
08-26-2014, 20:19
CR, if that sarcastic post was aimed at me it was uncalled for. As I said I went to two different Atlanta area GA REI locations to attempt to get an even exchange for my size. This was not an isolated incident. I've heard from two other Atlanta area REI customers they were traeted the same way.

Qhshowoman, it's just that type of generalized assumption of some REI Customer Service Depts regarding customer's returns without a receipt which I abhor. Which area do you work at? You work in an Atlanta area REI don't you? Perhaps, its a regional or statewide attitude/assumption. This is no way to treat your customer base which is evident with one view of my long purchase history which all REI locations have on hand at the registers. I expected more from REI. The return policy has definitely changed. Yes, in some ways for the better so REI can protect themselves from fraud but in the situation I experienced uncalled for from this customer.

Dogwood
08-26-2014, 23:12
"... Whether they were used or not doesn't make a difference,..."

That's misleading QHshowoman. It often makes a huge difference to return dept's, including REI's Return Dept, whether items are returned used or in unused condition. I would expect you know that.

I too understand the need to be aware of theft as a previous business owner in relationships with employees, customers, and business partners; however, having a business alert to this possible situation is one thing but having a Return Department, whether it be an employee working in the Returns Dept or a Returns Dept Manager influencing other store team members that predisposes customers attempting to make receiptless returns/exchanges is somehow involved in fraudulent activity is a deplorable business practice and has no merit in the situation I described I had at two Atlanta area REI stores. This is not something to assume about customers doing a return! - especially long term loyal customers which could have been quickly verified. This is not the level of excellent customer service I had come to expect from REI. I find the below reasoning another excuse ignoring REI's current harder line return policy changes. "It's a pretty common shoplifting scam to grab items off the rack and try to return them for credit or exchange them for different sizes in order to resell them. Granted, we usually saw this with brands other than REI (i.e. The North Face), but the same principle applies."

Colorado Rob, I did not say REI has a lousy return policy. IMO, THIS ONE ASPECT I found myself contending with in REI's new return policy could have been implemented differently, perhaps in a more well rounded fairer way BOTH to the customer and from a business' perspective. Again, I suggested, REI could have possibly instituted a fairer return/equal exchange policy in these situations for REI Members and possibly other customers by say limiting annual returns or limiting returns per yr without a receipt.

REI instead chose to adopt the current policy of NO returns or exchanges without a receipt. This was not REI's previous return policy!

Dogtra
09-01-2014, 19:33
Hope you all had a great Labor day and got your shopping in. ;)

Sailing_Faith
09-01-2014, 19:51
I made a grand total of four trips to REI for this sale. Twice to the Corte Madera (CA) store, once to the Durham (NC) store and once to the Cary store (NC).

i spent just over $310 dollars for almost $700 worth of gear. Included in that was a return of a watch I had for just under a year, and the alarm randomly started setting... No questions asked... Returned AND given $40 discount on the replacement....

i did get a couple pair of the darn tough socks, a very cool REI brand mid level base shirt and a bunch of other stuff I needed or wanted for my upcoming adventure.

i love the store, the company and employees. For example, Ian who helped me with some cycling gear at the Durham store is (like me) from the SF Bay Area, the birthplace of mountain biking... He was spot on in all his recommendations and gave me the exact right advice... I don't know how they find employees who are so consistently competent and helpful.

QHShowoman
09-01-2014, 22:13
"... Whether they were used or not doesn't make a difference,..."

That's misleading QHshowoman. It often makes a huge difference to return dept's, including REI's Return Dept, whether items are returned used or in unused condition. I would expect you know that.

It's not misleading -- you just took my quote out of context. It doesn't make a difference to the person processing a return whether an item is used or not -- if you have proof of purchase, it can be returned or exchanged. Having tags on an item does not equate to proof of purchase.
If you don't have proof of purchase, they're not obligated to process your return or exchange. This was the policy back in 2004 when I started working for REI and it remains so today (and no, I did not work in a GA store). The only real change to their new policy is that they're limiting returns to items purchased within a year.

But like I made clear in my initial post, exceptions can and do happen. I can't speak for other stores, but in the store where I worked, the managers had our backs 100%. If we wanted to accept an item for return without proof of purchase given the customer's prior purchase history, etc., we absolutely could make exceptions and were seldom, if ever, questioned. Likewise, if we thought someone was abusing the return policy, we could deny the return.

The most egregious abuses of the return policy that I witnessed during my 5 year tenure at REI were not from buy and return scams (although those certainly did happen) -- they were actually from long time customers. Basically, customers would clean out their closet and try to return items that were so well-used, their tags were completely faded. Not just one or two items -- BAGS of items at a time. And they would make no bones about what they were doing, either. That was never the intent of REI's satisfaction guarantee -- but sadly, that kind of behavior happened often enough that it was a big factor in REI tightening their policy.

Dogwood
09-02-2014, 04:00
Of course no one is faulting REI for protecting themselves from those types of scenarios. Again, it's just those types of scenarios that are personally repugnant and I've publically denounced. But to digress into those scenarios as if they are the only motivation that factor into REI adopting a no receipt/NO return/NO even exchange EVER policy, which is REI's current policy, which is a new policy, while completely ignoring that REI is also motivated by financial gain, that is they save money, thereby financially profit, by adopting such a condition of returns across the board, REGARDLESS OF DESIRING TO PROTECT AGAINST UNETHICAL RETURNS, is being disingenuous and makes an assumption the public is entirely naive of such significant financial incentives that a large company such as REI has particularly as new policies like this are often instituted by new incoming upper management that have a strong personal financial incentive through bonuses and stock sharing paid out based on making the company more profitable which is what may also be happening here. Hence, profitability, again, regardless of desiring to protect against unethical returns, is the primary underlying motivation for adopting a no receipt/NO return/NO even exchange EVER condition. Mind you, this is the only aspect of REI's current return policy I have a hard time digesting. I though the Return Policy could have been designed better in this one regard from a customers perspective. I made a decent suggestion as to an alternative return policy concerning this one condition that could have been adopted by REI just as it has been adopted by many other retailers that maintains a high level of customer service concerning returns but still protects a business from fraudulent return activity. REI, not doing so, reeks of a grab for profits at the expense of customer service. And, do understand, I'm not into bitching about returns(view my other posts here on WB as evidence of this) or bitching about REI. I'm bitching specifically about how my return was handled and the hardline NO Receipt/NO Return/NO even exchange EVER Condition.

Here is what I had hope would happen. By providing the buying information given to me by my sister(the gifter) concerning the store(the Greenville REI store), exact day the items were purchased, and how they were purchased, in cash, and the purchase was made in the morning, the REI Return Dept in GA MIGHT be able to verify the purchase. I know for a fact some large stores can do that right from the registers or be verified through internal inventorying which REI has electronic access to. Neither store bothered trying. When I also got the fraudulent return veiled accusatory speech, as you too have digressed into, when all I desired was an even exchange for one size larger, it gave this one time loyal REI Member the impression REI was prioritizing profit while impinging on customer service, which I never experienced at REI before.

Also, at every resister, REI has instant access to my purchase and return history via my REI Membership #, which I did provide to both REI Atlanta area stores. It could have easily been verified that I'm not a habitual returner and certainly not a habitual receiptless returner particularly in light of my many many REI purchases over many years. But, NO, my loyalty, buying, and even extremely meager return history over all these yrs was totally ignored. I was very rudely treated which in all my experiences at REI I had never experienced.

double d
09-02-2014, 10:11
REI is one of the best outdoor stores in the U.S., as I've been a member for about 20 years and never had a problem with returning gear, etc. Also, many of the folks who work at REI are hikers as well. Not sure why Dogwood you were rudely treated, maybe the person was having a bad day, but people are people, maybe you've had some bad days in your life to. Anyways, REI is great quality-I always support them, they are truly a hikers friend.