PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading some gear

Ender
08-22-2014, 11:13
Got a small bonus here at work, going to spend it on, of course, new gear that I only use a couple times a year (at most... sigh).

I'm looking at the ZPacks Arc Blast backpack. I currently have an Osprey Atmos 50, which I love to death because of the venting back panel. I simply can't make myself go back to a solid-backed pack at this point, I've become spoiled. But at over 3 pounds, it's heavier than I'd like. And the Arc Blast, at just over 1 pound would save me 2 pounds off my back. That's a pretty fantastic weight savings for a single piece of gear, and I can't really think of a reason not to do that. The reviews of the Arc I've read so far have been good, though I haven't yet found a long-term review of the thing.

Also looking at a new tent. I've been hammocking for about 10 years now, and frankly am kind of tired of it and want to tent again. My last few trips I've just used a tarp, which was light, but buggy. So then I went to using my old Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight that I used for my AT thru back in '98. The thing is great, still works like a champ, but is over 5 pounds all-in. Soooo... looking at the Big Agnus Fly Creek UL2, which is a shade over 2 pounds, is free standing, and is double-wall (which, having used single wall shelters over the years, I'm pretty much set on using double-wall now). Nice. I've also looked at a cuben Lightheart Solo Awning, but she doesn't seem to be making the cuben tents right now (which I seem to remember that she often didn't during the summer months). It's a little lighter, from what I recall, also double wall, not free standing, and a boatload more expensive. Any thoughts on these two tents?

Anyway, that's my Friday morning musings, as I paw through gear websites.

Gambit McCrae
08-22-2014, 11:25
Got a small bonus here at work, going to spend it on, of course, new gear that I only use a couple times a year (at most... sigh).

Soooo... looking at the Big Agnus Fly Creek UL2, which is a shade over 5 pounds, is free standing, and is double-wall (which, having used single wall shelters over the years, I'm pretty much set on using double-wall now).
Anyway, that's my Friday morning musings, as I paw through gear websites.

This weight is inaccurate. The packed tent is 2.5 pounds for the UL2. I happen to have a new never used UL2 I am selling for 300 shipped. If you think your interested PM me and lets work something out.

Ender
08-22-2014, 11:30
Sorry, yes, no idea why I typed 5 pounds. Meant to say it's a shade over 2 pounds (2 pounds 5 ounces, at least per the website). I went back and edited my original post, thanks for the heads up.

I'll think about your tent... I was planning on going to REI to get the end of year payout, but $300 shipped is pretty appealing. I'll consider it.

Gambit McCrae
08-22-2014, 11:35
After tax if you buy it at rei your going to get back 42.90 at the end of the year, but if buying the same tent from me your going to save 90 plus taxes. And Big Agnes' customer service is the best in the business

Firefighter503
08-23-2014, 01:59
I think that pack is an excellent idea, assuming the rest of your gear profile is similar. If my ULA Ohm 2.0 ever wears out (I don't expect it to, it is also an excellent pack), the Arc Blast will be a serious contender as a replacement.

RED-DOG
08-23-2014, 12:18
The Arc Blast ( Hybrid ) is an awesome pack I have used it a few times and plan to use it on my 2015 PCT thru. Far as tents go take a look at Yama Mountain Gear.com I got the Cirriform SW-1person it weighs 17oz's and it's a great tent, it's the absolutely lightest tent I have ever owned.
WWW.Yama Mountain Gear .com

MuddyWaters
08-23-2014, 19:49
I have about 400 miles on my arc blast. Its my go to pack these days. Just got back from using it on my JMT thru.

I developed a slit where it rubbed on something against the bear can inside it during a ferry ride. Simply abraded thru the outer fabric in a few minutes apparently. Its not all that durable, its still a UL gear item. Patched inside with tape, havent decided yet how to do outside, may just have Joe sew a label there or something.

Back black mesh faded onto a white shirt, green camo shoulder straps and pack bag bottom/belt did as well. Quite a bit of color transfer actually. Unable to get it all out, the shirt is kind of ruined for social events, but still fine for hiking sun protection, which was its purpose.

All in all, its an awesome pack. Comfortable, light, and carries that sweet spot of 20-25 lbs that UL hikers hit with full supplies well.

If you routinely carry over 25 lbs, you may want a heavier pack.

Dogwood
08-24-2014, 01:55
I hear you about the increased airflow on your back with the raised mesh with the Osprey Atmos 50. I think you'll get similar airflow in the ZPacks Arc Blast hybrid CF back pack design but with less durability. Carefully consider the trade offs of having one of the(THE) lightest wt backpacks in this volume range before you pull the $$$ trigger. I'll respectfully suggest it seems you don't quite have a full handle on those considerations yet. My problem with Zpacks gear is that it has wt spoiled me making it difficult to go back to something slightly heavier in wt but since I use my gear extensively and regularly AND I don't have an unlimited hiking gear budget I must balance out saving wt, spending dollars, functionality, performance, and durability. It's my honest opinion as an ULer that gear upgrades don't always have to entail opting for the lightest wt gear. As an ULer I think it can be a mistake to think the lowest wt gear is the best option all the time.

Dogwood
08-24-2014, 02:00
Dave Collins did a decent review on the Zpacks Arc Blast specifically addressing your questions. Read through and consider carefully in a fair minded balanced way how the Arc Blast works into your short and long range gear line ups and hikes. http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/zpacks-arc-blast-backpack-review

Ender
08-24-2014, 20:08
Thanks everyone for their input so far! I really appreciate the thoughts.

Red-Dog, I'll definitely check our Yama gear. Sounds interesting.

Muddy, good to know about the color bleeding out. Great tip. I'll make sure to wear only my hiking clothing with that pack.

Dogwood, I've actually gone super UL in the past, so I'm very familiar with the tradeoffs of UL gear. I actually did one trip where my pack, pad, and tarp all together weighed in at just over a pound. Add another 1 pound 11 oz for the sleeping bag and my big four came in at just about 3 pounds. Granted, that was for a two night summer trip, and the sleeping wasn't that great, and I knew the weather was supposed to be good going into it. Anyway, short story long, I know the ins and out of UL, and its downsides. But I hear you about balancing weight and cost. Gear durability actually doesn't play as much consideration for me any more, since I only go out a couple times a year now anyway (have a kid... the one downside to having a kid is I don't get out in the woods as much as I'd like, at least until he gets a little older and I can take him with me), so if something fails I just replace it when I get back home. I mean, yeah, I can't go spending a ton of money on gear, but even if something only lasts 20 trips, that's still a good number of years of use I'll get out of it at this point.

Dogwood
08-25-2014, 01:08
You know BEST your typical hiking situation(s), gear replacement agenda, budget, etc. :) I find quite a few, NOT ALL, of those with really UL/SUL kits either don't regularly hike the annual miles I do in the wide range of terrain I hike or have a larger gear budget than me they can dedicate to regularly replace less durable gear. And, mind you I'm not referring to durable gear as being conventional wt gear simply more durable UL gear(just as Collins mentioned in his review). It gets pricey to me in my situation to regularly replace major big dollar Big 4 components on an almost yearly basis when the wt savings amount to less than 4 oz for this backpack compared to that which I typically 3 season long distance hike with that costs less than half this amount($135). I'm just not up to dropping $300+ on a backpack every 3000 miles or so. For me that means I'd be buying a replacement backpack in this volume range every 18 months or so. My gear that I do have gets used extensively. I've also paired down my hiking gear buying habits. The money I save by zeroing in on my gear needs - NOT my gear wants - frees up money to fund additional hikes or buy other things like a kayak, UL snowshoes, set up a touring bike, etc rather than it being tied up in trendy hiking gear in a stuffed impressive gear closet/garage that experiences limited use.

So, why did I buy a Zpacks Arc Blast? - because the overall kit balance I think I receive - NOT just the wt savings. With Joe now seam taping and using the more durable hybrid CF I can now go pack cover/pack liner free in more hiking situations, compartmentalized components(ie;no integrated component replacements/pack set-up combinations, WP hip belt pockets(love these!), etc (I could go on what I like about this backpack) while getting I believe a more durable backpack than what I got previously in one of Zpacks CF backpacks. I am still mindful of where and when to use this backpack though in regards to replacement cost.

Here's what I've noticed can happen with less durable UL gear that costs me more in price not only on the front end, compared to SLIGHTLY heavier but more durable UL hiking gear choices, but also on the back end with some use. After I apply all the tapes, Seam Grip, patches, pay for repairs, etc to some of my more fragile, but originally slightly less weight UL hiking gear, I find it then weighs more than a comparable(in function and performance) piece of UL gear not to mention the hassle of repairs and breakdowns and back end added wt, that could have been avoided from the beginning had I simply done better UL homework and considered better MAYBE a wee bit slightly heavier BUT significantly less financial costlier choices. This is just mt take.

Ender
01-06-2015, 15:15
Though I sadly haven't had a chance to use any of my new gear yet, I ended up getting the ZPack Arc Blast backpack, and the Big Agnus Fly Creek Platinum. I'm impressed by the weight (or really, lack of) on both pieces of gear, and can't wait to try them out.

I'd actually describe the Fly Creek as free-standing-ish, at best. You most definitely need stakes to set the thing up properly, especially with the fly. So setting the thing up on a platform would still require some Rube Goldberg rigging. But it's still nice to be able to pick the thing up and shake it out of leaves and dirt, or move it if you decide on a different tent spot, without having to break it down entirely.

And the Arc Blast. That thing just weighs nothing. I fiddled with it a bit in my place, and it seems to be really quite durable. More so than I expected. We'll see once I get it out on the trail.

Anyway, like I said, can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit (it's 20* and snowing here right now) and try out my new toys.

Connie
01-06-2015, 16:12
How does the Arc Blast frame fit?

Is the frame fit an issue, for you?

Frame packs usually are very individual fit.

But ZPacks Arc Blast "frame" is so unique.

Ender, I really appreciate your question and the answers here.

For example, I didn't know the color transferred.

MuddyWaters, Was that the hybrid cuben?

I have been looking long and hard at a cuben backpack for myself.

I have followed ZPacks, Zimmerbuilt, and, HMG with keen interest. I decided, for now, on the no-frame HMG Black Summit Pack and Black Summit Stuff Pocket for my first experience of a cuben backpack, in large part because it does not have a frame, and, I don't have to put big money out there to find out. HMG reputation is "solid". That can be said for the others. It is tough to choose. But, if I had a "windfall" I would order an Arc Blast to find out the "fit". I would not hesitate. Note: I do not pack hard-edge items.

Ender
01-07-2015, 09:28
How does the Arc Blast frame fit?

Well, in my home with not full trail weight it seems to fit perfectly. It's bendy-er than other frame packs I've used in terms of twisting motion, but I think that may actually end up being more comfortable on trail than a stiffer pack... make for a more natural body motion. And vertical stability seems to be rock solid. We'll see once on trail, but I have the feeling the fit is really going to work for me.

I didn't know the color transferred.

Yeah, I was glad to learn that info as well. I went with the light grey color, figuring that will be less likely to transfer color than a darker fabric, and what color it does transfer should blend in nicely with the dirt I'll be accumulating on myself :)

Connie
01-08-2015, 19:38
Well, you don't want a pack frame, or, a pack suspension to allow the pack weight to throw you off-balance.

I am interested in further information, as you have to scramble over rocks or slither thru those large rocks on the AT, or, equivalent. I do little slithering thru large rocks, but I do "hike" a narrow traverse with considerable exposure. I avoid avoidable scrambles, as I am no longer as interested in anything akin to rock climbing. But balance on the trail is important, especially "if only" a narrow passage with exposure.

I ordered black cuben because I wear a lot of black or grey, and, white will show all the dirt.