10-09-2005, 23:22
lets me know

smokymtnsteve
10-10-2005, 00:00
earth first members???

do they identify themselves in public?

Lone Wolf
10-10-2005, 07:29
Earth First. just like PETA and Greenpeace. ***n whack jobs.

icemanat95
10-10-2005, 08:02

Yeah...only worse.

Blue Jay
10-10-2005, 08:11
No compromise

ArkVol
10-10-2005, 13:14
good to know you think they are scum too

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-10-2005, 16:39
I've had to deal with Earth First a few times. I'm very environment-friendly and don't take kindly to anyone who hurts the reputation of environmentalists. Much of Earth First's behavior is more harmful than helpful IMO.

CynJ
10-13-2005, 00:36
lmao - don't hold back L. Wolf tell us how you really feel....:D

Tha Wookie
10-13-2005, 10:17
I completely respect Earth First! folks. It's not for me, however, as I choose other channels. But the fact is that since many people choose not to obey the laws and rules of sustainability (poaching redwoods, bison, eagles, whales, ect.), and the US government has failed miserably in protecting things not synthetic (or for sale), Earth First! folks rise to the challenge of defending this ancient land.

While their methods are highly confrontational, they don't back down against sticking it to those who continue to massacre (literally) the biotic quality of our nation (and beyond).

The truth is that so many people are so whipped by this corrupt system that they are appalled that anyone would break a law (as if it were a cardinal sin) to protect the integrity and safety of Mother Earth. Yet as history has shown, even the creation of this country, sometimes laws are better to be broken than followed.

Given that, the laws they usually have to break are silly things, like trespassing (on land actually owned by no one, or at best, descendants of land thieves), assembing without a permit (people coming together without the government's approval), and obstruction of the machine.

Go Earth First!! :sun

Tha Wookie
10-13-2005, 10:20
EARTH FIRST! Issues

Today's priorities:

1. Stopping the dangerous spread of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) (http://www.gealert.org/)

2. Halting the Biscuit logging project (http://earthfirst.org/biscuit.htm)

3. Stopping the Camisea project in Peru (http://www.amazonwatch.org/)

4. Fair trade for farmers

5. Saving the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from Oil Drilling (http://www.savearcticrefuge.org/)

6. Protecting the Tongass National Forest from logging (http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/index.fpl/10386/article/829.html)

7. Stopping the Seal Slaughter in Canada (http://www.shepherd.textamerica.com/)

8. Jackson Forest (http://www.jacksonforest.com/)

9. Mountaintop Mining (http://www.mountainjusticesummer.org/)

www.earthfirst.org (http://www.earthfirst.org)

SGT Rock
10-13-2005, 18:48
And Earth First's progeny:

The Earth Liberation Front
By 2004, ALF's environmental counterpart, the Earth Liberation Front (ELF), was setting new records for property damage. Modeled after ALF, ELF consists of "autonomous groups of people" who are "anonymous not only to the public but also to one another," according to its Web site. The movement aims to "inflict economic damage on those profiting from the destruction and exploitation of the natural environment" and "to reveal and educate the public on the atrocities committed against the earth and all species that populate it." Acts of property destruction are considered by ELF to be non-violent because no human being or animals are targeted.

<A name=DaveForeman>Origins
ELF evolved out of Earth First!, an ardent environmentalist group founded, in its own words, "in response to a lethargic, compromising, and increasingly corporate environmental community." Dave Foreman, a former lobbyist for the Wilderness Society, and several other activists influenced by more militant organizations, founded Earth First! around 1980.

The group combined environmental protection with a form of spirituality called "deep ecology," popularized by a Norwegian philosopher and mountain climber, Arne Naess. Members regarded their activities as not merely political but also spiritual. During the 1980s, Earth First! activists performed direct actions ranging from tree-sitting to tree spiking - hammering a long nail that can create shrapnel injuries when cut by logging tools such as a chainsaw.

In his 1985 book Ecodefense: A Field Guide to Monkeywrenching, Earth First! founder Foreman provided detailed instructions on how to perform various methods of sabotage - from disabling equipment to properly spiking a tree. The term "Monkeywrenching" was borrowed from Edward Abbey's 1975 novel The Monkey Wrench Gang, which romanticized the efforts of four characters who destroy machinery and burn billboards across the southwest, and who unsuccessfully plan to blow up the Glen Canyon Dam. (Abbey, an outspoken critic of the development of public lands in the U.S., later contributed an introduction to Foreman's book.) In 1989, Foreman and three other members of Earth First! were arrested by the FBI on charges of conspiracy to sabotage nuclear facilities. Foreman pleaded guilty to reduced charges and did not serve any jail time. He left the group in 1990.
<A name=EarthFirst!Journal>The methods of Earth First! proved too moderate for some of its members, and in 1992 a small group met in England to form the Earth Liberation Front. Today, Earth First! continues to sponsor gatherings but operates mainly through its publication, the Earth First! Journal, which publicizes and recruits for ELF and ALF (convicted activist Rod Coronado is a member of Earth First! in Arizona and has contributed writings to the Journal). Although Earth First! remains radical, ELF now attracts activists who prefer more violent direct action.

Activities
ELF first claimed sole responsibility for an attack in the U.S. in 1997, when activists burned down a Bureau of Land Management horse corral in Oregon (previous attacks had been claimed in conjunction with ALF). The group made national headlines the following year when it claimed responsibility for the arson of a ski resort in Vail, Colorado, causing $12 million in damages - the costliest act of ecoterrorism in American history at the time. The attack included seven separate fires, which destroyed three buildings and damaged four chairlifts. In its communiqué, ELF said, "putting profits ahead of Colorado's wildlife will not be tolerated….We will be back if this greedy corporation continues to trespass into wild and unroaded [sic] areas."

Since the Vail arson, hundreds of crimes have been committed in the name of environmental protection nationwide. The most damaging occurred on August 1, 2003, when arsonists burned down a housing complex under construction in San Diego, destroying a five-story building and 100-foot-high crane; losses were estimated at $50 million. A 12-foot banner reading "If you build it, we will burn it," along with the ELF acronym, was found at the scene. (Six weeks later, ELF set fire to three other homes under construction in the area.)
These arsons typified, in an especially destructive way, ELF's ongoing battle against "urban sprawl," which it views as a wasteful and unnecessary encroachment on natural habitats. Direct actions targeting urban sprawl have occurred in different parts of the country (sometimes in clusters that suggest copycat cells), including Long Island, New York; Chico, California; and locations in Michigan.

Car dealerships and sport utility vehicles are also common targets for ELF. On August 22, 2003, approximately 40 Hummers and SUVs were destroyed or damaged in a fire at a West Covina, California, dealership, causing about $2 million in damages. "Fat Lazy Americans" and "ELF" were among slogans painted on the vehicles. The movement has taken credit for vandalizing SUVs in dozens of other cities. At an auto dealership in Erie, Pennsylvania, for instance, jugs of gasoline were ignited under three vehicles, engulfing them and a nearby car in flames. ELF said the dealership was targeted "to remove the profit motive from the killing of the natural environment."

<A name=CraigRosebraugh>Craig Rosebraugh <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=blue9 align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
ELF's ideological direction in recent years has been shaped by Portland area native Craig Rosebraugh. Rosebraugh became involved in the movement in the early 1990s as a member of a local animal rights group in Oregon. Also active in opposing the first Gulf war, Rosebraugh said he came to believe that "animal rights issues, environmental issues, social justice, are all related."

<A name=LeslieJamesPickering>In 1996 he and another activist, Leslie James Pickering, formed the Liberation Collective in Portland, which linked ELF's struggle to other social justice problems - all caused, Rosebraugh said, "by our main ideological structure in the country, which we continue to operate under, and in my view that is capitalism." More than any other activist, Rosebraugh was able to infuse the ecoterror movement with a strong anti-capitalist and anti-government bent, which had the effect of broadening its potential targets as well as recruits.

Rosebraugh became the movement's spokesperson in late 1997 and would go on to handle ELF messages taking credit for acts of sabotage resulting in millions of dollars in damages. Additionally, it was not uncommon for him - and other spokespersons - to receive communiqués from both ELF and ALF; the two movements declared solidarity in 1993 and members who affiliate with either movement often carry out acts on behalf of both.

In 2000, Rosebraugh and Pickering established the North American Earth Liberation Front press office in Oregon. The office operated like ALF's, receiving and posting or otherwise distributing messages from cells and handling media inquiries. According to Pickering, who served as co-spokesperson, the press office is the "public face ideologically in support of the ELF and similar acts of economic sabotage." ELF's Web site was then launched to "educate both the general public and the media on the ELF and actions that the group has taken in defense of the earth" (ELF's Web site is currently registered to ALF activist Darren Thurston in Vancouver).

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=262 align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bk12b></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
In April 2001 Rosebraugh's home was raided by agents from the FBI, ATF and Oregon State Police; he was also served with a subpoena relating to a fire that destroyed over 30 new SUVs at a car dealership in the Portland area. Although he was not charged in the investigation, the increased scrutiny may have led Rosebraugh and Pickering to resign their ELF positions in September 2001.

Later that year, Rosebraugh was subpoenaed by the House Resources Subcommittee on Forests and Forest Health to testify at a hearing on ecoterrorism in February 2002. During his testimony, Rosebraugh invoked the Fifth Amendment in response to all but a few questions. In a written explanation, he said that "in light of the events on September 11, my country has told me that I should not cooperate with terrorists. I therefore am refusing to cooperate with members of Congress who are some of the most extreme terrorists in history."

Although no longer ELF's official publicist, Rosebraugh remained influential in the movement and continued to give lectures and presentations at colleges and universities. On March 17, 2003, he issued a message addressing antiwar activists that was posted on a number of left-wing Web sites. Rosebraugh said that "the only possibility of stopping this current military action is to engage in strategies and tactics which severely disrupt the war machine, the U.S. economy, and the overall functioning of U.S. society." He recommended large scale urban riots and attacking financial and media centers, as well as U.S. military establishments.
On March 28, 2003, shortly after Rosebraugh issued this manifesto, five cars and a van at the Navy recruiting headquarters in Montgomery, Alabama, were spray-painted with anti-war slogans and a two-ton truck was set on fire. All the graffiti was signed "ELF." A few days after the attack, ELF issued a communiqué claiming responsibility for the incident, saying, "This is the first specifically anti-war action carried out by the ELF in North America."

In April 2003, Rosebraugh and Pickering launched a new organization, Arissa, aimed at linking other social movements, especially the antiwar movement, to environmentalism. In addition to serving as a forum for Rosebraugh and Pickering's anti-war proclamations, Arissa sells their books on its Web Site. Titles include Rosebraugh's The Logic of Political Violence, which says that "revolution in the United States must be comprised of a variety of strategies" and that "it cannot be successful without the implementation of violence."
Rosebraugh's credibility was slightly undermined after he opened a natural food restaurant in Portland in January 2004 and fired workers who threatened to go on strike. Nevertheless, his influence in the movement remains high and ELF likely will continue to bundle other social concerns with its environmentalist mission. In a March 2004 television interview, Pickering underscored this ideological expansion: "Violence is a necessary element of an oppressive struggle…to overthrow an oppressive government…[ELF is] only part of a larger building revolutionary movement that won't stop until it has a successful overthrow of this country."

bfitz
10-22-2005, 22:17
Geez. I wonder if they realize that in order to be consistent with their beliefs they should kill themselves after shutting down their website, which people are using electricity to access. What a bunch of morons.

Stoker53
10-23-2005, 08:11
Extremist groups on the Left and Right, who operate and advocate actions against existing laws, are a fact of life today. They seek to polarize the rest of us which only makes it harder to solve the many legitimate issues they seek to address.

Their actions are counterproductive to their own goals and NOT worthy of respect from the rest of us.

Just my 2 cents worth.

FFTorched
10-23-2005, 09:34
I am a follower of Edward Abbey, and believe a lot in what he says. I am in no way as radical as the members of ELF and ALF. When I see things being done to a beautiful wilderness area I to am enraged but logic takes over in telling me that the risk of getting caught sabotaging construction equipment and what not is worth the reward in the long run.

Therefore taking the influence of Abbey, Muir, Peacock, and others I am striving to become a writer, so I can do what I can to make the public think for once. To get their heads out of the some corperation's big capitalist ass. I am on an Ed Abbey mailing list and the majority of the people on the list do not practice direct action anymore because of how much the government has changed after 9/11. So not everybody associated with these people are extremists.

gumby
10-23-2005, 12:08
Don't forget the Scientologists. They may not be in the same category (environment) but they are as whacky. I know I worked for a company that all the top management belonged to the Church.

Farmer
10-25-2005, 17:31
I need earth first to plant my crops.

bfitz
10-25-2005, 18:12
I need earth first to plant my crops.
I need it to hold the atmosphere around so I can breathe. Just so long as you don't blow up my SUV, we're cool.

Israel
10-26-2005, 11:00
violence with the supposed intent of good, no matter what the cause, will never bring about the desired resolution.

mingo
10-26-2005, 12:46
are you kidding, israel? violence works like a charm. how do you think we kicked saddam out of power? exterminated the redskins? just to name two examples. i'm surprised to find so many anti-environmentalist cretens on this site. don't you people believe in the web of life?

Sly
10-26-2005, 13:13
. i'm surprised to find so many anti-environmentalist cretens on this site.

Yeah it is amazing.

Lots of Bush, republican, neocon sheep that don't really give two $hits about the environment. Cronyism, Plamegate, record deficits, nation building (see 2000 campaign promises), a stock market that has gained since he's been in office, good jobs being moved off shore or taken over by illegal immigrants and billions of $$'s in no bid contracts for Cheney's old firm (ha,ha). Even the lies and propaganda that led to war and the lives of over 2000 Americans, not to mention 10's of 1000's innocent Iraqis doesn't seem to bother them.

What gets me is why they continue to defend the guy and if they say they disagee on certain topics, never say how.

MarcnNJ
10-26-2005, 13:28
On the flip side, as someone who likes to watch the bantering between the Republicrats and the Democrins....i can site all the 'gates during Clinton's years.......the huge stock market increases during the 90s, even pork futures (ask hillary)....and the topper is how Clinton awarded Cheney no-bid contracts for Kosovo and Haiti......i guess Clinton felt Cheney needed more money......both sides are crooks.....but its fun watching from the sidelines

Sly
10-26-2005, 13:31
That was then, this is now.

SGT Rock
10-26-2005, 13:35
Yes haven't you heard, all logical arguments have to include Republicans = Evil to be accepted. Examples:

96X = Evil Republicans

Huricane + Louisiana = Evil Republicans

Global Warming + Ice Age = Evil Republicans

Clinton + Lewinski = Evil Republicans

Saddam Hussein - gassed Kurds = Evil Republicans

New York - WTC = Evil Republicans.

Unless you can somehow tie the evil in the world to the Republicans, it is a moot point to some.

Midway Sam
10-26-2005, 13:37
That was then, this is now.
Actually, now is then too. Just give it a second...

Blue Jay
10-26-2005, 13:40
are you kidding, israel? violence works like a charm. how do you think we kicked saddam out of power? exterminated the redskins? just to name two examples. i'm surprised to find so many anti-environmentalist cretens on this site. don't you people believe in the web of life?

At least most of us cretens can find the Shift Button.

mingo
10-26-2005, 13:43
blue jay, you might know where to find the shift button but you don't know how to use it properly.

Sly
10-26-2005, 13:48
Oh, I don't think all Republicans (and neocons) are evil, just Bush, Cheney, Rove, Delay, Frist, Rummy, Wolfie and maybe a few others... :)

SGT Rock
10-26-2005, 13:48
Watch out, or Blue Jay may call you a Polyana next.

Blue Jay
10-26-2005, 13:49
Yes haven't you heard, all logical arguments have to include Republicans = Evil to be accepted. Examples:

96X = Evil Republicans

You forgot to reverse the equation:

Evil Republicans = Redundant
Like saying heavy lead or wet water
Although now that you mention it, I always thought Monica was hired by Bill as a distraction, his version of the Iraq war. Much less expensive and provided the exact same effect. Even I could never believe she was a Republican Spy but who knows.

SGT Rock
10-26-2005, 13:52
See, I told you.:D

Blue Jay
10-26-2005, 13:53
Watch out, or Blue Jay may call you a Polyana next.

Nope there is only one Polly. He's beak and sholders above the rest.

Blue Jay
10-26-2005, 13:54
Shoulders.........

Blue Jay
10-26-2005, 13:57
See, I told you.:D

Always happy to prove you correct, SGT Rock, as you most often are. :banana

SGT Rock
10-26-2005, 13:57
In mathmatics; your theory would be (I think): Evil Republicans = [-∞,0) and

Bill Clinton = (1, ∞ ]

dougmeredith
10-26-2005, 14:43
I'm very environment-friendly and don't take kindly to anyone who hurts the reputation of environmentalists.
You must have a lot of fights on your hands. :)

Doug

Alligator
10-26-2005, 14:43
In mathmatics; your theory would be (I think): Evil Republicans = [-∞,0) and

Bill Clinton = (1, ∞ ]I'll bite, are all the little people squashed between (0,1).

*It should be (-∞,0] & [1,∞ ). Adding the brackets on ∞ is some real tough mathematics. I can't explain it 'cause I hate real variable theory. I expect that Chris could do it. I think you need it for Lesbeque measure.

Spartan Hiker
10-26-2005, 15:06

96X = Evil Republicans

Unless you can somehow tie the evil in the world to the Republicans, it is a moot point to some.Libs need simple math like this to make their kool-aid go down smoother.

Farmer
10-26-2005, 15:10
Yeah it is amazing.

Lots of Bush, republican, neocon sheep that don't really give two $hits about the environment. Cronyism, Plamegate, record deficits, nation building (see 2000 campaign promises), a stock market that has gained since he's been in office, good jobs being moved off shore or taken over by illegal immigrants and billions of $$'s in no bid contracts for Cheney's old firm (ha,ha). Even the lies and propaganda that led to war and the lives of over 2000 Americans, not to mention 10's of 1000's innocent Iraqis doesn't seem to bother them.

What gets me is why they continue to defend the guy and if they say they disagee on certain topics, never say how.
I'd be interested in how you really feel about this.

SGT Rock
10-26-2005, 15:13
I'll bite, are all the little people squashed between (0,1).

*It should be (-∞,0] & [1,∞ ). Adding the brackets on ∞ is some real tough mathematics. I can't explain it 'cause I hate real variable theory. I expect that Chris could do it. I think you need it for Lesbeque measure.

Well as to where the little people fall in, I wouldn't know, I am just trying to reflect the theories some folks are expousing in a mathmatical way.

So if everything that is negative or nothing -∞ and 0 and can include all thing negative, but nothing positive, as I understand the notation (I am taking freshman college algebra, so forgive me if I screwed it up) then the brackets should be [-∞,0).

And everything Clinton did is positive, then it should be 1, ∞. And since he cannot be responsible for anything negative and all things positive, the brackets should be (1,∞ ]

I'll take statistics later, so I wouldn't know which theory to test the equations. But to the ranges of answers was more what I was looking at. :sun

Sly
10-26-2005, 15:49
I'd be interested in how you really feel about this.

What you see is what you get.

The only thing I did agree with Bush on was his immediate response to 911 in Afghanistan. Of course, as CIC, once he got the locals involved in Tora Bora which subsequently allowed Osama bin Laden to escape, along with secretly squirreling away resources and troops for the Iraq war I lost all hope he was doing the right thing.

Alligator
10-26-2005, 16:06
Well as to where the little people fall in, I wouldn't know, I am just trying to reflect the theories some folks are expousing in a mathmatical way.

So if everything that is negative or nothing -∞ and 0 and can include all thing negative, but nothing positive, as I understand the notation (I am taking freshman college algebra, so forgive me if I screwed it up) then the brackets should be [-∞,0).

And everything Clinton did is positive, then it should be 1, ∞. And since he cannot be responsible for anything negative and all things positive, the brackets should be (1,∞ ]

I'll take statistics later, so I wouldn't know which theory to test the equations. But to the ranges of answers was more what I was looking at. :sunNot to belabor the point ( & ) are open parentheses and do not include the number. Brackets include the endpoint. Infinity is never reached, so open parentheses ( or ). You'll probably rehash interval notation in Calculus too. The interval (0,1] is also positive, 0<x<=1. But I get the joke:D .

SGT Rock
10-26-2005, 16:08
Thanks. That will come in useful when I do calculus next year sometime too.

bfitz
10-26-2005, 21:38
violence with the supposed intent of good, no matter what the cause, will never bring about the desired resolution. Violence has resolved more conflicts than any other single method. If it weren't for violence almost all of the sociological advances of the human race would not have occurred. Violence is philosophically justified under many situations and you know it.

bfitz
10-26-2005, 21:48
As far as disagreeing with Bush, the stuff I do disagree with him on never seems to come up...we must all be in agreement on those topics. Lets see... I am anti-death penalty (not on moral grounds, mind you, but since our legal system is imperfect it undermines our credibility when criticizing others like china for their human rights abuses...) Also, um....oh, abortion! I do think it's wrong but since a woman's body is her property she has jurisdiction over it, she'll have to deal with the spiritual consequences herself, just like a rich man may allow a beggar to starve on his doorstep ... lets see, I know there are others...the drug war, tho he's not very vocal on that issue. I'm just so in favor of his current foreign policy agenda that I overlook everything else.

Nightwalker
10-26-2005, 22:09
Both sides are crooks.....but its fun watching from the sidelines
No real fun to it. My two Nader votes were really a "none of the above." I wouldn't trust Gore, Bush or Kerry to babysit my dog, much less run a country. Will we ever get a better choice? Doubt it. Not as long as big money controls everything.

bfitz
10-26-2005, 22:13
Actually, I like the Idea of a nader vote since it promotes the idea of an alternative political party, and steals votes away from the left at the same time, two birds with one stone.

weary
10-26-2005, 22:29
...I wouldn't trust Gore, Bush or Kerry to babysit my dog, much less run a country. Will we ever get a better choice? Doubt it. Not as long as big money controls everything.
Big money does not control everything. Voters control everything. I know it's difficult. But those who want to find the truth can do so, And I know that my former profession is importantly at fault. Most reportage is confined to "he said/ she said," with no attempt at understanding or explanation.

But even my never very bright -- and now deterirating mind -- can continue to discern the differences between Gore, Bush, Kerry and Nader

Weary

smokymtnsteve
10-26-2005, 22:53
violence with the supposed intent of good, no matter what the cause, will never bring about the desired resolution.

ask the french about thier resistance in WWII,

Farmer
10-27-2005, 16:15
Big money does not control everything. Voters control everything. I know it's difficult. But those who want to find the truth can do so, And I know that my former profession is importantly at fault. Most reportage is confined to "he said/ she said," with no attempt at understanding or explanation.

But even my never very bright -- and now deterirating mind -- can continue to discern the differences between Gore, Bush, Kerry and Nader

Weary
The truth will set you free!

Reid
05-05-2009, 14:18
This is a bump

jesse
05-05-2009, 14:27
why??????????

Gray Blazer
05-05-2009, 14:39
The good ole days of WB.

Funny thread.