PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who "pond" is ?

jimtabor
08-22-2014, 19:40
Anyone know Pond?

grimtongue
08-31-2014, 21:30
This is Pond.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=12329612&fref=pb Adam Jones, he has been tagging everything. Shelters, signs, ski resort warming huts, even rocks. He needs to be stopped. He is in northern NH or southern ME.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-31-2014, 22:27
Why every year does some A.. hole have to do this crap along the trail? I guess my assumption of people who hike appreciate and respect the wilderness is way wrong...Leave no trace!!! I don't get it....what happened to the guy a few years ago by the trail name of Rifle who did this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QHShowoman
09-01-2014, 08:58
Not that I doubt you, but how do you know who he is?
And agreed whomever doing this is an @sshole.

grimtongue
09-01-2014, 09:28
We tracked him down on the Internet, Facebook, Instagram, etc. We then confronted him online. He knew that we had him dead to rights so he and his hiking cronies are now spamming the hell out of our accounts, admitting that it is him and that there is nothing we can do about it.

grimtongue
09-01-2014, 09:32
We tracked him down on the Internet, Facebook, Instagram, etc. We then confronted him online. He knew that we had him dead to rights so he and his hiking cronies are now spamming the hell out of our accounts, admitting that it is him and that there is nothing we can do about it.
Also we are currently thru-hiking and he is about 7 days in front of us.

bangorme
09-01-2014, 09:58
Why do dogs pee on every tree... we'll never know nor understand.

rocketsocks
09-01-2014, 11:14
...funny how these type things have a way of working themselves out, often with thee offending party carrying a bucket and a soupy rag while wearing an ankle bracelet.

Don H
09-01-2014, 11:42
Has anyone contacted Laurie P at the ATC?

SteelCut
09-01-2014, 12:15
We saw his handiwork a few weeks ago on a rock a mile or two north of Spivey's Gap. Agreed ... what an @sshole.

78owl
09-01-2014, 12:43
Why do dogs pee on every tree... we'll never know nor understand.

Maybe give him new trail name AKA "dog pisser". He leaves his sign where ever he goes.

Tuckahoe
09-01-2014, 14:27
Screen grabs of admissions along with photos of handy work sent to the ATC, the NPS and local authorities can have an impressive impact.

Don H
09-01-2014, 18:48
And where would one find those admissions and photos?

Dogtra
09-07-2014, 04:33
Has anyone been able to follow up on this? To believe nothing can touch him is rather foolish, many people are taken down because of admissions and photo proof shown over the internet. Has anyone contacted the authorities?

Bronk
09-07-2014, 10:42
The reality is that vandalism cases like this are only a misdemeanor and virtually impossible to prove. Even if you could prove who did it, the guy will be far out of the jurisdiction of the authorities where it occurred. Few jurisdictions will extradite someone more than 50 miles for such a petty crime, even if they knew who he was and where he was. This kind of stuff is not high priority to most in law enforcement and they aren't going to spend monumental amounts of time and effort to track this guy down for writing his name on a sign.

rocketsocks
09-07-2014, 10:46
Maybe give him new trail name AKA "dog pisser". He leaves his sign where ever he goes.
puddles ;)

Dogtra
09-07-2014, 12:01
The reality is that vandalism cases like this are only a misdemeanor and virtually impossible to prove. Even if you could prove who did it, the guy will be far out of the jurisdiction of the authorities where it occurred. Few jurisdictions will extradite someone more than 50 miles for such a petty crime, even if they knew who he was and where he was. This kind of stuff is not high priority to most in law enforcement and they aren't going to spend monumental amounts of time and effort to track this guy down for writing his name on a sign.

Even though the damage is spread along the AT? While I'm sure what you say is true, it still angers me greatly. There is basically nothing preventing others from doing the same in the future. How pathetic is that...

Sarcasm the elf
09-07-2014, 12:28

In the event that some of the vandalism occured on federal lands, which seems likely, then there is a much greater chance that action will be taken.

I would be interested to know if someone really does have a facebook or email message where he admitted to the vandalism and also to know if the ATC or authorities have been contacted directly.

kayak karl
09-07-2014, 14:11
the sad thing is it is not just one person. he can't be doing it in a vacuum and others probably know what he is doing and some have watched.

Lauriep
09-07-2014, 14:55
If you have information to share, please fill out an A.T. incident report form with as much detail as possible, available at www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents) and email it with photos you may have, to [email protected]. This will reach the NPS A.T. Chief Ranger as well as pertinent ATC staff members. Graffiti is taken seriously by the chief ranger and he will do whatever he can, but he has to have something to work with. Local police will not likely be interested. In national parks or forests and on some state lands, the law enforcement officers will be, but a long-distance hiker is usually not in their area long enough to be caught. However, the A.T. Chief Ranger has direct jurisdiction over significant portions of the A.T. in many states, including most of Maine.

Laurie P.
ATC

Starchild
09-07-2014, 20:48
Perhaps more effective way this could be handled would be a way to notify 'upstream' AT community/trail angels such and hostels and the like who this person is and what they have done. It would be a much different hike if they were denied a stay in a town or even denied trail magic or kicked out of ride once they introduced themselves. Or if they don't deny them the actual service, and perhaps more effective. say that they don't want them to sign their log book, garage door, ceiling tile, or whatever the host has set up for the thru hikers to sign.

CrumbSnatcher
09-07-2014, 21:17
Perhaps more effective way this could be handled would be a way to notify 'upstream' AT community/trail angels such and hostels and the like who this person is and what they have done. It would be a much different hike if they were denied a stay in a town or even denied trail magic or kicked out of ride once they introduced themselves. Or if they don't deny them the actual service, and perhaps more effective. say that they don't want them to sign their log book, garage door, ceiling tile, or whatever the host has set up for the thru hikers to sign.
with all do respect Starchild they need to do some jail time and community service, then banned from the trail for a period of time

July
09-07-2014, 23:29
with all do respect Starchild they need to do some jail time and community service, then banned from the trail for a period of time

Yes, I find it hard to believe that an individual can progressively hike within the "AT Community" and not be known or Checked. Also, Karma is a B....

CrumbSnatcher
09-08-2014, 00:01
the sad thing is it is not just one person. he can't be doing it in a vacuum and others probably know what he is doing and some have watched.
the problem is not that most thruhikers are young, but 90% or so of these hikers never plan to set foot on the trail ever again! its just something trendy to do. all it takes is one bad apple to ruin it for everyone else

July
09-08-2014, 00:39
the problem is not that most thruhikers are young, but 90% or so of these hikers never plan to set foot on the trail ever again! its just something trendy to do. all it takes is one bad apple to ruin it for everyone else
Kayak Karl hit the nail on the head, No man Hikes alone....

Bronk
09-08-2014, 09:39
Its easy to forget that many people who thruhike have never hiked before and are not part of the "trail community" and like others have said will never set foot on the trail again. The people on this forum are a very small subset of the millions of people who use the trail every year, and many in that larger group of people simply don't care about a little bit of graffiti because they don't spend all that much time on the trail either. Like others have pointed out, this happens just about every year.

Alligator
09-08-2014, 13:52
OK folks, please keep the threats to his posterior off the thread.

LOL I saw the first post and thought it was a joke about somebody adding a blaze to a swimming hole. Didn't get back to the thread 'til now.

CrumbSnatcher
09-08-2014, 13:56
Kayak Karl hit the nail on the head, No man Hikes alone....
i actually had that in my post but edited it out,didn't want to blame without proof, i did notice his cronies in the picture i saw, guess i was thinking can't blame them unless their tagging too, but they are just as guilty as him if they see him doing it, and not stopping him

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 14:07
OK folks, please keep the threats to his posterior off the thread.

My bad...pressure from ones peers is a much better motivator.

Don H
09-08-2014, 15:04
I'm guessing this guy thrives on the attention. Maybe the ATC should not recognize his hike. No picture at Harpers Ferry, no mention in the AT Journeys magazine, no certificate, no patch. No recognition at all.
Oh, and prosecute him to the fullest.

No Directions
09-08-2014, 19:21
A few weeks ago I stopped for a lunch break at a shelter just south of Erwin, TN (possibly No Business Knob Shelter). I don't remember the name but there was a lot of graffiti in blue paint in the shelter. I remember thinking "Who carries blue paint on a hike?" Then it hit me. It's the same color blue as the blue blazes in the area. I don't know what club maintains that section of trail but it may be worth asking some of the clubs if they have a member that goes by that trail name.

Gambit McCrae
09-08-2014, 20:08
Its a pretty generic blue used not only on the AT but on many trails to signify a water trail. And i highly doubt that someone willing to give their time to doing things such as removing vandalism, would in return create it. It would e the same as volunteering to do road cleanup and then throw mcdonalds cups out very where you go.

No Directions
09-08-2014, 21:14
I have never seen any graffiti removed from shelters. Much of it is over 10 years old. It seems like a lot of trouble to take paint on a hike. But then I don't think the same as them.

Astro
09-08-2014, 23:53
The blue paint probably corresponds to the "Pond" name (and thus also the same as the blazes to water sources).

Nooga
09-09-2014, 11:00
Maybe we could send a special invitation to Pond for Trail Days next year……...