PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Hikers

DJ Potatoe
10-10-2005, 00:15
My friend Mason and I are hittin' the MD portion from Mason/Dixon (or in our case, the Mason/Eric) line to Harpers Ferry in a 2 day venture. We're going over night from October 25 to the 26th. Anyways, it's a 42 mile charge and we're told via the magical internet that it's a "damn near impossible" venture for only 2 days.

I'm BRAND new to the AT scene, but I'm sure I'm gonna love it. Mason has done the VA section before (Shannandoah Valley) and has a bit of experience in hiking 'round the woods. Anyways, this is all leading to a question, I promise.

The question is: What recomendations would someone make to a dynamic duo taking on MD in 2 days? I'll take any and all suggestions anyone might have. Thanks in advance for the hell, you kooky trail people, you. ;-)

xoxo
Love Eric

lobster
10-10-2005, 01:35
Some folks hike it in 1 day, but they are in fine shape by that point.

bearbait2k4
10-10-2005, 02:42
Exactly. It's an easy venture, if you're in shape.

That is one portion of the trail that can legitimately be called practicaly flat.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a couple of bail-out points in mind, if you decide this is what you want to do. I think there are quite a few road crossings within that section, mainly at different monuments or recreation areas, so it would be possible to get a ride if you have to.

Good luck.

Goon
10-10-2005, 11:12
A friend and I did this same section in 3 fairly easy days. The main issue we had is that you're required in MD to stay in designated camping areas so that made us stop short one day, not knowing if we'd make the next camping area before dark.

lobster
10-10-2005, 11:33
Camp out of sight.

D'Artagnan
10-10-2005, 12:17
It may seem obvious, but wear comfortable shoes. Best of luck.

Newb
10-10-2005, 12:20
Those ridgelines are a racetrack. The longest stretch without water is from Crampton Gap to Harpers, although there is a hostel 8/10s of the way that has a hose.

Topcat
10-10-2005, 12:30
My first backpacking trip was at age 11 from Washington Monument State Park to Harper's Ferry in 1972. This is a nice stretch of trail for a first trip, have a great time. Take the time to check out the historical sites scattered across this stretch, the original Washington Monument, War Correspondents memorial, Civil War trenches, Harpers Ferry, etc. not to mention the veiw from Annapolis Rocks.

DJ Potatoe
10-10-2005, 19:04
Mason said something about a tree with carvings from the early 1900's....is this tree located in the MD section?

Also, I would like to thank everyone for being so friendly and open hearted in advice and thought. I will take all the luck you've sent to us and put it to good use in a couple weeks when we "conquer" the trail. ;-)

middle to middle
10-10-2005, 19:49
When I was walking that section of the trail i was passed by the University of maryland Cross Country team out for a days run. They presumably did it in less than a day running. It is a level relatively easy walk as I recall.
\

My friend Mason and I are hittin' the MD portion from Mason/Dixon (or in our case, the Mason/Eric) line to Harpers Ferry in a 2 day venture. We're going over night from October 25 to the 26th. Anyways, it's a 42 mile charge and we're told via the magical internet that it's a "damn near impossible" venture for only 2 days.

I'm BRAND new to the AT scene, but I'm sure I'm gonna love it. Mason has done the VA section before (Shannandoah Valley) and has a bit of experience in hiking 'round the woods. Anyways, this is all leading to a question, I promise.

The question is: What recomendations would someone make to a dynamic duo taking on MD in 2 days? I'll take any and all suggestions anyone might have. Thanks in advance for the hell, you kooky trail people, you. ;-)

xoxo
Love Eric