PDA

View Full Version : What pack for a 2-4 day hike

squeezebox
08-23-2014, 20:04
I could see the possibility of no need for a tent, rain gear or even sleeping bag for a warm summer with dry weather forecast.
Deep winter would be much different.
Of course it also depends on where you are going.

bigcranky
08-23-2014, 20:32
Are you asking a question? :) :)

Totally depends on the "where" for me, but I'd still take a shelter of some sort and rain gear of some sort, and something to keep me warm at night. Remember, weather forecasters are people who get paid the same even when they are wrong much of the time.

I like a pack in the 50 liter range that comes in around 2 pounds or so, with an internal frame and big external pockets. That handles pretty much any kind of hiking I might do. Right now I am on my second ULA Circuit (my hiking partner has my first one.)

kayak karl
08-23-2014, 20:53
if over night i always have quilt, shelter and rain gear. it would be imprudent
of me not to.

July
08-23-2014, 21:13
Back 2012 springer to damascus , hiked/overlapped with a hiker that carried only a bivy, bag, some bug screen (smokies), food bag. Slung over the shoulder like a quiver. As a matter of fact, if your out there quiver, HEY!

johnnybgood
08-23-2014, 21:24
If backpacking for even an overnighter I bring the 58 liter. Obviously you trust the weatherman when you go out .
A rain jacket or at the very least, a poncho goes with me no matter what they say

Depending on the time of year...a fleece liner may suffice.

Adriana
08-24-2014, 09:28
I love read British survivalist Paul Kirtley's well-thought out advice. He did a blog and a vidoe on just this topic recently. As a result I have started beefing up what I carry in my day pack.

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2014/what-gear-to-pack-for-a-day-hike-in-the-woods/

squeezebox
08-24-2014, 09:46
Just for the sake of the argument, weather in Missouri can be pretty stable during the summer'
but a poncho as a ground sheet and a tarp to cover is pretty light insurance.

kayak karl
08-24-2014, 10:01
so you are asking us to suggest you go into the wilderness without the 10 essentials :confused:. even though the weather is "stable?" what about injury or sickness?

Odd Man Out
08-24-2014, 10:36
I did a 5 day outing in July in VA. Liked my Elemental Horizons Kalais (http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx) pack. Can't say I would pack much differently for a 4 day hike vs a thru hike (if I ever do a thru hike).

Adriana
08-24-2014, 10:38
so you are asking us to suggest you go into the wilderness without the 10 essentials :confused:. even though the weather is "stable?" what about injury or sickness?
And the 10 Essentials are?

kayak karl
08-24-2014, 11:02
And the 10 Essentials are? list is different depending on who you ask. i don't post long boring posts so ill leave that to others. leaving home without essential gear to save weight is asking for trouble.

Rocket Jones
08-24-2014, 11:06
Google "10 Essentials" and you'll find several lists. Lately, I've seen more essential "systems" than "items". Mostly common sense.

BuckeyeBill
08-24-2014, 15:12
The 10 Essentials (http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html?s_kwcid=sUtbtsd7u_dc|pcrid|3594329 8565|pkw|10%20essentials|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=CjsKDwjwmuafBRCQ7ef6zJXhdRIkAFH2mecsd-TD8L-EQeCo-2BXhHeMRRLkvq6ccQ2bttAGZffKGgKKw_D_BwE) Classic and New.

daddytwosticks
08-24-2014, 16:17
I could probably just use a simple daypack if I was to do a summer overnighter at an AT shelter. Silnylon poncho, smallest thermarest prolite, light down quilt, water bottle, tiny ti mug w/esbit stove, headlamp, knife, etc. Very low bulk/weight. :)

Venchka
08-25-2014, 08:59
And the 10 Essentials are?

Why did I know that this was coming?

Wayne

Nooga
08-25-2014, 10:14
I can't think of a section or season on the AT where I would go for a 4 day hike without rain gear, sleep bag / quilt, or shelter.

Odd Man Out
08-25-2014, 12:03
The 10 Essentials (http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html?s_kwcid=sUtbtsd7u_dc|pcrid|3594329 8565|pkw|10%20essentials|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=CjsKDwjwmuafBRCQ7ef6zJXhdRIkAFH2mecsd-TD8L-EQeCo-2BXhHeMRRLkvq6ccQ2bttAGZffKGgKKw_D_BwE) Classic and New.

I took the modern ten essentials paraphrased. It's not 10 items, but ten (now nine) things you need to be able to deal with. How you deal with each of these will be different for different hikes and different people. It may be an item. It may be a system of items. It may be just a plan of action. I don't see that it would be possible or desirable to define and number of specific items you should have.

Navigation System (so you don't get lost)
Element Protection System (so you don't get hypothermia, hypothermia, or sunburned)
Clothing (see #2)
Illumination System (in case you get caught out in the dark)
First-aid System (so you can deal with medical emergencies)
Fire System (so you can start a fire if necessary)
Repair/Back Up/Maintenance System (so you can keep critical systems functioning)
Nutrition System (so you can feed yourself)
Hydration System (so you don't get dehydrated)
Sleep/Shelter System (so you can have shelter and sleep when needed)