PDA

View Full Version : Numero Uno - First SOBO of the year?

Adriana
08-24-2014, 03:08
I was at Mountain crossings on Friday afternoon when Numero Uno arrived. He said he left Khatadin on May 1. I assume he should be at Springer no later than today. Congratulations! And the offer of a bed, a meal and a ride to Atlanta or Gainesville still stands. You have my number.

Praha4
08-24-2014, 09:46
so Baxter State Park opened the AT up Katahdin as early as May 1st this year? never been there, but always heard it was not opened til later.

rhjanes
08-24-2014, 10:27
so Baxter State Park opened the AT up Katahdin as early as May 1st this year? never been there, but always heard it was not opened til later.They close the BSP for overnight camping. If the weather is good, Kathadin is open and the park is also. Trick is, you get to enter the park (NOT camped in the park), climb and descend the mountain (often around 6 hours or 8) then exit the park. L O N G day. People even climb in winter conditions.

ocasey3
08-24-2014, 10:30
I don't think the trail up Katahdin was open by May 1 this year, if I remember correctly.

ocasey3
08-24-2014, 10:30
They close the BSP for overnight camping. If the weather is good, Kathadin is open and the park is also. Trick is, you get to enter the park (NOT camped in the park), climb and descend the mountain (often around 6 hours or 8) then exit the park. L O N G day. People even climb in winter conditions. Ah, thanks for the correction.

Adriana
08-24-2014, 10:41
He said as a New Hampshire local he was able to access it early, probably one of those day windows.