PDA

View Full Version : Flooded out in New Hampshire

icemanat95
10-10-2005, 08:22
I don't know if this info has gotten out of the immediate NE area, but New Hampshire and parts of Veront and Massachusetts got pasted this weekend with torrential rains. Those of us living in river valleys got hammered, especially in the Southwestern corner of New Hampshire where we picked up anywhere from 7-11 inches of rain in 24 hours. Significant portions of the city of Keene, NH are under water from the flooding of the Ashuelot river and Beaver Brook. The South Branch of the Ashuelot in Swanzey, NH has flooded about 3-5 feet above flood stage and has flowed out to flood the fields and plains along it's brim. A number of bridges have been washed away and some dams breached. In the town of Alstead the major roads into and out of town have been pretty much washed away along with the police station and a number of homes. So far I've heard about two confirmed deaths when a young couple's car was washed off a bridge, flipped over and washed downstream drowining the two 20-year-olds inside. Four people remain missing.

I live on high ground and avoided the worst of the effects, but it's pretty nasty around here with more rain in the forecast through the week.

The campsite at the Gathering must have been pretty hellish Saturday night.

Blue Jay
10-10-2005, 08:30
I live on high ground and avoided the worst of the effects, but it's pretty nasty around here with more rain in the forecast through the week.

The campsite at the Gathering must have been pretty hellish Saturday night.

Your point??? That you are smart and those camping are not??? That there is a foot of water in hell??? That your weather reporting is better than CBS or NBC?? I really have no idea why you posted this.

Lone Wolf
10-10-2005, 08:34
Dude. You're rude. Didn't your mama tell you if you got nothing good to say then be quiet?

Blue Jay
10-10-2005, 08:39
Dude. You're rude. Didn't your mama tell you if you got nothing good to say then be quiet?

Yes, a good reason for that post. Thank you. :eek:

The Old Fhart
10-10-2005, 09:45
The spot I picked at the campground at Storrs Pond at The Gathering was about 75 feet into the woods on a slope with good drainage and I stayed dry and comfortable both Friday and Saturday. I did have some damp areas around the seams of the tent but all things considered, I was lucky. Not everyone was as fortunate. There were others (smarter?) who slept in their vans, RVs, or hotel rooms, and they didn't have any problems. It was still a most enjoyable weekend.

TJ aka Teej
10-10-2005, 09:54
I don't know if this info has gotten out of the immediate NE area, but New Hampshire and parts of Veront and Massachusetts got pasted this weekend with torrential rains.
Thanks for posting about this, Iceman. Local natural disasters seldom get more than a few seconds on the national news, so I doubt many WBers have heard about the destruction and tragic losses. The news footage and reporting by Channel 9 has been gripping:

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/index.html
Deadly Floods Sweep Away Homes, Roads (http://www.thewmurchannel.com/weather/5075665/detail.html)

"Devastating floods destroyed homes, bridges and roadways in southwestern New Hampshire Sunday, and at least three people were dead and others are missing."

Mouse
10-10-2005, 10:21
Here in Philadelphia I went to hike the bottom ten miles of the Schuylkill River Trail and was taken aback by the flooding on the Schuykill river. It had not seemed like that much rain had fallen yet the river was raging along and swollen outside its banks. Homes along the river were flooded, a road under water. When the trail reached the Manayunk canal towpath the waters were lapping the edge of the towpath and then flooded it, forcing me to turn back and take a detour. I had not heard any hint on the news that it was that bad.

saimyoji
10-10-2005, 10:26
Many small stream have washed out bridges and roads here in the Lehigh Valley. The Delaware River notorious for flooding is about 14 feet above flood stage. Water in the basement and the roof is leaking.

Moxie00
10-10-2005, 11:28
My campsite at The Gathering was about nine miles south of Stoors Pond Campgroud and across the Connect a dot River. It was in the Cooledge Hotel in White River Junction. Except for the shwer I took in the morning I stayed dry. However I am getting over a bad cold and I can tell you that those camping at "Billville" had a hell of alot more fun and entertainment than I did. Next year I camp.

lobster
10-10-2005, 11:31
If your tent was flooded, don't forget to apply for FEMA aid!

God is punishing everyone for the wickedness in the world!

Ender
10-10-2005, 12:43
Your point??? That you are smart and those camping are not??? That there is a foot of water in hell??? That your weather reporting is better than CBS or NBC?? I really have no idea why you posted this.

Wow... you're just a bit unstable, aren't ya? Sheesh, since when is a little info bad? Let's all sing the troll song.

Ender
10-10-2005, 12:51
Oh, and thanks Iceman for posting that. Since I've been away for a while, I had no idea that had happened. God to know. Wishing the best for those in trouble.

rambunny
10-10-2005, 13:15
God bless the trail maintainers that will be out there repairing The Trail .

frieden
10-10-2005, 14:08
Thanks Iceman. I don't have TV, and don't take the time to read the news much. I check it to see if there are any hurricanes in the area, and that's about it.

Toolshed
10-10-2005, 14:54
We had roughly 9.X inches here in the Lehigh Valley Between Friday night and Saturday night. Many road closings and flooded areas. I think the Lehigh and Delawares will be ok, though it is usually a coulple of days later to find out. Was up on the AT at Wind Gap Sunday for a short jaunt. Trail on blue mountain appeared no worse for the wear - I am wiling to be the springs are flowing at least a little bit for now.
Rick

Peaks
10-12-2005, 12:08
I camped in a grassy area, and stayed fairly dry all weekend. The site drained well.

When I heard the weekend weather forecast, I looked for a hotel, but they were all very pricy, so I decided to tent instead. My Eureka Timberline tent worked just fine once again.

Roland
10-12-2005, 15:33
I camped in a grassy area, and stayed fairly dry all weekend. The site drained well.

When I heard the weekend weather forecast, I looked for a hotel, but they were all very pricy, so I decided to tent instead. My Eureka Timberline tent worked just fine once again. We might have been neighbors. There were two Timberline tents set up near my Taj Mahal dome tent.

I picked that location because of drainage, and positioned my tent on a natural "pitcher's mound". Despite the heavy rain, we stayed dry all three nights. Location, location, location...

Roland

CynJ
10-12-2005, 16:07
My husband and I drove up Saturday to the Gathering - parking was miserable to find in Hanover and we both got soaked getting from the parking garage to the dining hall.

We only stayed a bit then took off driving through the White Mountain State Forest - what a deluge! The water coming down was just incredible. The rivers/streams were moving so fast and the water was wicked high.

I've been a New Englander all my life and I don't ever remember seeing this many days worth of heavy rain in a row. Its amazing.

Blue Jay - that was sorta uncalled for. :eek:

Peaks
10-12-2005, 16:51
We might have been neighbors. There were two Timberline tents set up near my Taj Mahal dome tent.

I picked that location because of drainage, and positioned my tent on a natural "pitcher's mound". Despite the heavy rain, we stayed dry all three nights. Location, location, location...

Roland

No doubt about it. The other Timberline tent belonged to a dreamer that I gave a ride to.

Blue Jay
10-12-2005, 23:49
Blue Jay - that was sorta uncalled for. :eek:

So is this: BIG NEWS FLASH - The sun comes up in the morning. Also this just in, sometimes it rains. Our top story, there are leaves falling off the trees in the Northeast. :eek:

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2005, 00:11
So is this: BIG NEWS FLASH - The sun comes up in the morning. Also this just in, sometimes it rains. Our top story, there are leaves falling off the trees in the Northeast. :eek:

big news flash..it is cold and snowy in FBKS, AK :banana

CynJ
10-13-2005, 00:29
IMO -given that there was a large "Gathering" of hikers in the area of this severe weather, and that we have many members of this community that live upper New England it is an entirely relevant thread.

Take a Pepcid Blue Jay and get rid of that bile......there's never a need to be nasty. If you don't like threads like this -hit the back button and keep searching.

Blue Jay
10-13-2005, 07:13
IMO -given that there was a large "Gathering" of hikers in the area of this severe weather, and that we have many members of this community that live upper New England it is an entirely relevant thread.

Take a Pepcid Blue Jay and get rid of that bile......there's never a need to be nasty. If you don't like threads like this -hit the back button and keep searching.

No bile, but how about another one. Hikers get rained on, internet group is massively shocked and wants to know more.

Skeemer
10-13-2005, 10:19
BJ...you are truly a poor excuse for a human being...may God forgive you!

DavidNH
10-13-2005, 19:23
For those who don't know (the news reports could lead one to think the whole state got flooded out!) the trouble of flooding was mostly confined to the southwestern part of NH near Keene and Hinsdale and of course Alstead. Where I live in Concord, NH no problems!

I was at the gathering and stayed nice and dry in my tent. Just need a quality tent and to be where there is good drainage. Walking through the puddles of the Hanover streets DID get me a tad wet though.

The ALDHA gathering has got to be one of the best bargains around. Where else can you get advice, entertainment and education all for a seven dollar weekend (exluding food!).

Frankly, I dont think the rain of last weekend is any more than what one would see on an AT hike. Trouble is though...the sun has STILL not come out five days later!

DavidNH

Blue Jay
10-14-2005, 01:39
BJ...you are truly a poor excuse for a human being

Very patient, you waited a long time to repeat that one back to me.

Skeemer
10-14-2005, 08:55
...cause I was afraid you might misunderstand, take it personally and no longer want to offer your valued opinion on important matters like this.

My guess is we are both poor excuses for human beings but I don't know about you but as the Four Tops say,
"I can't help myself."

Please continue to participate in these electrfying discussions.

CynJ
10-14-2005, 09:03
Trouble is though...the sun has STILL not come out five days later!
DavidNH
lol...we're not supposed to see the sun here in CT until at least Tuesday - I'm starting to feel like a duck

Panzer1
10-14-2005, 12:29
You should have thrown him a piece of raw red meat before you posted.

Panzer

Panzer1
10-14-2005, 20:14
I can't remember a gathering with so much rain. I met 2 of my camping neighbors, Jessica and Ami (Bookworm) but it was difficult to meet my other neighbors. Because of the rain everybody was running from their tent to their car. I'm so glad we had "Billville". It was the real social scene of the weekend. We had some good/dry times there.

When we went to bed Friday night there were several tents nearby. It rained all friday night and when we got up on Saturday morning the tents were moved and there was a large puddle about 4 or 5 inches deep there. Around camp site #9. I can only imagine that their tents began filling with water and they had to move in the middle of the night while it was still raining. Luckily our tent was dry all weekend. It was my wife's first gathering.

After the Gathering we went to Franconia Notch state park were we hiked the Basin Cascade trail which follows the Cascade brook. Here the surplus of rain worked in our favor as there were many beautiful waterfalls along the trail. We took this until we met the AT and returned back on the AT. The leaves and the waterfall were spectacular. My thanks to Chomp for recommending this hike and the Woodstock Inn and "Pigs Ear" beer which I brought a 6 pack home and am drinking now. Good stuff.

Panzer

Jester2000
10-14-2005, 22:08
Actually, more info is better than less, so thanks, Ice. I had the opportunity, while on the post ALDHA work trip, to pass on the same info to a hiker who had no idea how bad it was further South. He had friends in Keene, and luckily managed to get in touch with them.

Moxie00
10-14-2005, 22:54
Actually, more info is better than less, so thanks, Ice. I had the opportunity, while on the post ALDHA work trip, to pass on the same info to a hiker who had no idea how bad it was further South. He had friends in Keene, and luckily managed to get in touch with them.:eek: JESTER, beibg serious in a post? This exceeds your serious post quota for 2005 by one. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!

walkin' wally
10-15-2005, 17:51
[quote]

I've been a New Englander all my life and I don't ever remember seeing this many days worth of heavy rain in a row. Its amazing.

[QUOTE]

Wicked amazing... ayuh

Blue Jay
10-15-2005, 23:56
You should have thrown him a piece of raw red meat before you posted.

Panzer

By quoting me, you make it sound like I should throw Iceman the meat. Go back to your inane study of Honda commercials.