PDA

View Full Version : rei flash backpack

misterfloyd
08-24-2014, 13:36
Hello to all,

I only have one pack, an Osprey Atmos 65. Great pack and have no problems with it. I hike the AT in June after I get done teaching and do about 200 miles or so. Also I use it as an overnight or so pack. I do not pack much. I have a light tarp tent, alchy stove, clothes. My heaviest weight is food, and water.

I would like to lighten my packs weight, and there is no way I need 65 liters. I was looking at the large 40 which really is a 50 liter. At the price point with the sale I figured the time s now. I will use the osprey in the late fall or winter.

Does anyone have this pack? Happy with it? unhappy? Other thoughts pertaining to this?

I would appreciate any information or comments.
Thank you
Best,
Floyd

Kerosene
08-24-2014, 23:47
My daughter has the women's version of the most recent Flash and it's predecessor. The backpanel of the older style warped badly under tension, but the newest version addresses this with a nice "wrap-around" frame. Everything else worked quite well for her and it is a great lightweight pack for the price. However, if you are looking to lighten up then you might also take a look at the Arc Blast 52L pack offered by zPacks (http://zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml), which will save you another pound of weight.

swjohnsey
08-25-2014, 00:08
Maybe get something not made in China.

dmax
08-25-2014, 00:09
+1 on the arc blast!

Likeapuma
08-25-2014, 00:13
I have the Flash 50 (I believe they changed it to be a bit larger) and have enjoyed it so far on weekend trips. My packweight sticks to the mid 20's & it's never been uncomfortable, or shown any signs of falling apart (despite that fact that I'm pretty rough on my equipment)

Found on sale, I'd say it was a bargain & a good buy. There are lighter packs out there that look cool, but I don't plan on needing to look for a long time.

Sidewinder
08-25-2014, 00:57
Hello to all,

I only have one pack, an Osprey Atmos 65. Great pack and have no problems with it. I hike the AT in June after I get done teaching and do about 200 miles or so. Also I use it as an overnight or so pack. I do not pack much. I have a light tarp tent, alchy stove, clothes. My heaviest weight is food, and water.

I would like to lighten my packs weight, and there is no way I need 65 liters. I was looking at the large 40 which really is a 50 liter. At the price point with the sale I figured the time s now. I will use the osprey in the late fall or winter.

Does anyone have this pack? Happy with it? unhappy? Other thoughts pertaining to this?

I would appreciate any information or comments.
Thank you
Best,
Floyd

Keep the Osprey Atmos it's a much better pack than the Flash and will carry a heavier load if and when needed with a lot more comfort. Look at lightening the load by lightening the load contents.

Busky2
08-25-2014, 09:09
I have the flash45 LARGE and I like it! I have lightened up and was scaling down the size of my pack and this fit the bill nicely. I used it on the AT this year in the Mid Atlantics with a 25lb load with food and water included and was happy and comfortable. I have added a BV450 bear vault into it for a upcoming hike in a bear can required area and have no issues fit or function. From what I saw so far I expect it to serve me well for some time to come.

linus72
08-25-2014, 11:36
I have the Flash 45, and have used it on 30 miles of weekend section hikes on the AT this summer with about a 25lb load and love it. Its light, compact, and has managed all of my gear and is very comfortable and manageable. I don't have the strongest lower back, and I'm average height/build and its been perfect for me. I think I paid full price at the time which was around $120 but I really have no complaints. Plus it's REI so I knew I could return it if it didn't work out in the real-life test. It's possible for longer hikes I'd want something bigger but at this stage in my life the longest I can get off from work is a week at a time, and this does the job.

ATL Backpacker
08-25-2014, 12:04
I tried to buy a Flash (62 I think) when it went on deep discount. I'm 6'4 and it did not fit me. If you're tall you may want to check proper fit. Like Sidewinder mentioned I just continue to use my heavier pack b/c the comfort is superior (also an Osprey).

CalebJ
08-25-2014, 12:14
If your gear is small and light so you have no need for a 65 liter pack, then don't keep using a pack that size. The REI Flash, Osprey Exos, or any of several smaller brands like ULA will do very well for you.

soumodeler
08-25-2014, 13:36
I have a Flash 45 and like it. The only problem I had was I bought a medium and should have gotten a large.

misterfloyd
08-25-2014, 16:56
Thank you for all your help and responces.

I would keep the osprey atmos 65 and use it as a winter pack. The items I have are really not heavy just bulky and need space.

When I do 2-3 weeks sections on the AT, it is in the summer. I don't bring much. I will probably bring less as my knowledge deepens. I could use the Osprey, but I would like to save some weight in the pack. With the osprey, no matter how much I cinch up the compression straps, it seems like it is always pulling be down, although I have the pack properly adjusted. This may seem like a small quibble but I really want water bottle pockets that can store and retrieve water bottles. I have made adjustments to the osprey to remedy this situation. Love the suspension and have nothing but good things to say about the pack besides that.

I just would like to get a smaller, lighter pack that I can compress down, keep close to the back, to use for the AT and 2-3 day excursions.

I have heard great things about ULA packs but wanted to get other opinions on the matter since The REI pack is on sale. If it is not comfortable it is a deal breaker however.

Best,
Floyd

Sidewinder
08-25-2014, 17:50
...I have heard great things about ULA packs but wanted to get other opinions on the matter since The REI pack is on sale. If it is not comfortable it is a deal breaker however.

Best,
Floyd

on sale isn't the best reason to buy a pack, unless you already know how the pack fits and feels with the same load weight you intend to carry.

Busky2
08-25-2014, 21:33
Hey REI FLASH packs are 30% off till the 1st of Sept. That's less than $100.00 for the pack