PDA

View Full Version : Tagged by a new computer virus

icemanat95
10-10-2005, 08:29
There is a new version of a nasty computer virus making the rounds.

I was planning on spending the weekend at the Gathering, but on Friday afternoon my computer alerted me to the presence of a virus called vundo.trojan, a trojan virus that sneaks into your computer through pop-ups or adware. It attacks virtual memory and starts up a variety of processes while dialing up and downloading other malicious code from the net. The worst part of this is that the major anti-virus companies software can detect it, but cannot do asnything about it. Removal is a manual process requiring extensive downloading and running of specialty scanners and tools. Researching and getting rid of this virus cost me my whole weekend. Thanks go out to the techs at Geekstogo.com for walking me through the process and helping me find exactly what files needed to be removed. For a volunteer message-board based group, they responded fast and with solid information that worked.

www.geekstogo.com

The Old Fhart
10-10-2005, 09:56
Check the McAfee site (http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/content/v_127690.htm) for a full description of this problem.

Jaybird
10-10-2005, 10:45
There is a new version of a nasty computer virus making the rounds......blah, blah, blah,.........
I was planning on spending the weekend at the Gathering, but on Friday afternoon my computer alerted me to the presence of a virus called vundo.trojan, a trojan virus that sneaks into your computer through pop-ups or adware. It attacks virtual memory and starts up a variety of processes while dialing up and downloading other malicious code from the net.
www.geekstogo.com

Ahhhhhhhhhhh ....the VIRUS that caused the ICEMAN meltdown!....

Sorry,...i couldnt resist! :D

lobster
10-10-2005, 11:33
Why couldn't you wait to fix it til after the weekend so u wouldn't miss the Gathering?

icemanat95
10-10-2005, 11:44
Why couldn't you wait to fix it til after the weekend so u wouldn't miss the Gathering?

Because I make my living on my computer and the damned virus shut me down cold. I've got a few deadlines that I am missing because of it. If I had gone to the Gathering anyhow, I wouldn't get back to productive work for a day or two longer and I'd be in deep kimchee.

Paying the mortgage trumps fun and games.

lobster
10-10-2005, 11:53
The Gathering is more than fun and games. You have to set those priorities of yours a little better. Just kiddin'!

SGT Rock
10-10-2005, 12:53
Hey, we have no pop-ups here, so you can WhiteBlaze to your hearts content safely.