PDA

View Full Version : Does a ferret kill mice?

lobster
10-10-2005, 11:47
Would a pet ferret make for better or worse sleeping in mice-infested shelters?

Colter
10-10-2005, 12:31
Worse. I'm sure they would kill a mouse if given the opportunity, but you'd trade a tiny mouse (mice) running around the shelter with a much larger predator running around the shelter!

rambunny
10-10-2005, 15:52
You'd like to know about Ziggy and Geek that hiked 94 ish? A cat and hiker-many interesting mousing tales. However Ziggy rode in the pack during the day and weighed 17 lbs.at Big K. Even before i hiked with a dog mice were never a problem but i'm not that much of a shelter rat. My vote would be not worth the hassle, but hike your own you know

SGT Rock
10-10-2005, 15:53
Would a pet ferret make for better or worse sleeping in mice-infested shelters?
Stay out of shelters and it won't be an issue.

titanium_hiker
10-10-2005, 16:03
you'd have to carry him/her (I've heard females are more gentle) and makesure he/she didn't run away at night- and he/she might not like being confined to the bag during the day, and you'd have to carry thier food aswell.

remember if you are alergic to cats you may be and most likely are allergic to ferrets. other hikers might not appreciate a ferret running around at night.

titanium

Dances with Mice
10-10-2005, 19:05
...would sleep 95% of the time and would be more likely to play with the mice, or show them how to break into backpacks, than kill one.

You can stuff one into a small backpack pocket, tho. Keeping it there, that's the problem.

Doctari
10-10-2005, 19:21
...would sleep 95% of the time and would be more likely to play with the mice, or show them how to break into backpacks, than kill one.

You can stuff one into a small backpack pocket, tho. Keeping it there, that's the problem.

Amen!

Great critters, fun to play with, more interested in play than almost anything, and if you feed them: my guess is DWM is right about them teaching the mice B & E techniques.

Please do stay in shelters tho, that leaves more campsites for me :D

Doctari.