PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend Hikes

daddytwosticks
08-25-2014, 07:16
I was hoping to get out and do a two day hike over the Labor Day Weekend around the Standing Indian Loop. I'm pretty pumped because I haven't had many opportunities to hike this year despite living in prime hiking territory. Anybody else going to be out in this area? Do you have any interesting hikes planning for this weekend? :)

Gambit McCrae
08-25-2014, 07:55
I am doing the Spivey-greasy creek gap section. Should be beautiful if it is clear, your welcome to join me if you would like twosticks

illabelle
08-25-2014, 09:17
Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap. Then we'll be almost done with Georgia!
Still lack from Dicks Creek to Winding Stair - maybe next year.

Traveler
08-25-2014, 11:37
I plan on doing a bit of the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier this weekend.

Gambit McCrae
08-25-2014, 11:47
If anyone would like to join me I will be attempting a 24.5 mile day on saturday and about 11.4 on sunday

RangerZ
08-25-2014, 12:03
Racoon Creek State Park, western PA, Friday - Sunday to shake out new gear.

Ktaadn
08-25-2014, 12:16
I'm hiking part of the Laural Highlands Trail in PA with some friends and family. Pretty laid back hike.

slbirdnerd
08-25-2014, 12:31
I'll be on the NC AT this weekend. :)

soumodeler
08-25-2014, 13:34
I will be leaving for a 2 week section from Amicalola Falls to Fontana Dam starting on Labor Day. Should be fun.

RangerZ
08-25-2014, 15:55
I'm hiking part of the Laural Highlands Trail in PA with some friends and family. Pretty laid back hike..

I'm thinking the LHHT around Columbus Day, southbound.

daddytwosticks
08-25-2014, 16:12
If anyone would like to join me I will be attempting a 24.5 mile day on saturday and about 11.4 on sunday
Wow...too many miles too soon for me! Thanks for the invite. Two 12 mile days around SI will give me quite the workout. Weather looks good so far for this weekend. Have a great hike. :)

Magic_Mack
08-25-2014, 22:54
Doing the Smokies, Clingmans to Fontanna dam

JumpMaster Blaster
08-25-2014, 23:37
Still unsure of what 30 mile or so section I'm doing, but I'm doing one.

Maybe I'll visit Erwin this time around.

Saving the Georgia section for a week long vacay in OCT.

jimtabor
08-26-2014, 08:03
Will hit the rocks in pa Monday

10-K
08-26-2014, 08:33
Still unsure of what 30 mile or so section I'm doing, but I'm doing one.

Maybe I'll visit Erwin this time around.

Saving the Georgia section for a week long vacay in OCT.

May I suggest parking at Mountain Harbor B&B and having them shuttle you to Iron Mt. Gap? That's 30.2 miles and you'd go over Roan Mt, then the last 15 miles over the Roan Highlands.

Gambit McCrae
08-26-2014, 08:37
10K that is my favorite section! At least Cloudland to Dennis cove, not too big of a fan of the Roan to greasy creek area so far.

10-k(And others), Im wanting to pull a 24.5 and knock off Greasy Creek to Erwin this saturday, Erwin to Spivey on sunday. Pretty easy section? Im hoping for a smooth day saturday and shooting for 8 hours

May I suggest parking at Mountain Harbor B&B and having them shuttle you to Iron Mt. Gap? That's 30.2 miles and you'd go over Roan Mt, then the last 15 miles over the Roan Highlands.

10-K
08-26-2014, 08:46
10-k(And others), Im wanting to pull a 24.5 and knock off Greasy Creek to Erwin this saturday, Erwin to Spivey on sunday. Pretty easy section? Im hoping for a smooth day saturday and shooting for 8 hours

Erwin to Spivey Gap is a day hike so no trouble there.

Greasy Creek to Erwin isn't bad either but it'll be a long day. I'd guess it's around 24ish miles. Once you summit Unaka Mt. it's pretty much downhill all the way to Erwin. They've rerouted the climb up the north side of Unaka and it's a lot easier than it used to be.

Gambit McCrae
08-26-2014, 08:52
My longest day this year was 22 miles and I did it with a buddy in 7.3 hours, with more breaks then I wanted to take so im shooting for 8 hours. Where is a good tenting place in town? Or a reasonable 2 night inside stay? Uncle Johnys is having a party, im sure that after 25 miles I will not be in the mood for a big party. Staying at GCF is out too im not putting up with that place lol

10-K
08-26-2014, 09:18
Depends on your energy level at the end of the day. :)

As you hike south from Indian Grave Gap and get close to the river there are a TON of camping spots that are between 1 and 2 miles before Uncle Johnny's.

If you get to Johnny's and still want to keep going there are some really cool campsites as you climb the switchbacks heading out of Erwin towards Spivey Gap.

Camping is good that entire section. I just hiked from Spivey to Johnny's Sunday and there are a few blowdowns but nothing that would slow you down. There are established campsites with fire rings every few miles.

Gambit McCrae
08-26-2014, 09:21
I will be day hiking both days, staging at Erwin, shuttled to GCF walking back to Erwin, sunday, walking from spivey to erwin. At that point, Davenport to Damascus will finally be finished lol

Gambit McCrae
08-26-2014, 09:23
When it is 95 deg outside, or 0 deg for that matter I day hike staging in a town, in the comfortable weather of spring and Fall when I have company I camp along the trail, but I can go much further without carrying gear and in return see much more of the trail each trip I go on, resulting in less trips taken to complete the whole trail. I have really enjoyed my slack packing this year

saltysack
08-26-2014, 09:42

+2 only behind the 40 mike stretch sobo into Damascus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-26-2014, 09:43
Typo.... Mile

Shutterbug
08-27-2014, 23:41
I plan on doing a bit of the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier this weekend. Welcome to Washington. We have been having beautiful weather this week -- only a few thundershowers each evening.

JumpMaster Blaster
08-28-2014, 00:03

Been there, done that EXACT route back in June. It. Was. Awesome.

After getting soaked the first two days, the skies cleared up and I had a kick*** hike from Roan to Overmountain Shelter to Hump back down to Mountain Harbour.

JumpMaster Blaster
08-28-2014, 00:09
Been there, done that EXACT route back in June. It. Was. Awesome.

After getting soaked the first two days, the skies cleared up and I had a kick*** hike from Roan to Overmountain Shelter to Hump back down to Mountain Harbour.

28183Hump Mountain summit.

Traveler
09-03-2014, 19:56
Welcome to Washington. We have been having beautiful weather this week -- only a few thundershowers each evening.

Thanks for that! Unfortunately, the weekend turned out to be a weather bust, lots of rain and mosquitos until Monday when we climbed out to Spray Park and got a real good peek at the big hill for about an hour before she put her hat back on. I love the Cascades and Olympics, wish I could do more than a few days here and there in life.

Ktaadn
09-04-2014, 09:44
The LHHT was pretty hot and humid in PA this weekend. It only rained at night though so it could have been worse. I was impressed by the quality of the trail and I think there would be some really nice views when there aren't so many leaves on the trees.

slbirdnerd
09-04-2014, 11:54
daddytwosticks, did you make it out? We did Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap and didn't see near as many people as I thought would be out last weekend. Had thought we might run into you. Weather was great except for the monsoon, which kindly kept itself to Saturday night!

saltysack
09-04-2014, 13:46
daddytwosticks, did you make it out? We did Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap and didn't see near as many people as I thought would be out last weekend. Had thought we might run into you. Weather was great except for the monsoon, which kindly kept itself to Saturday night!

R those boots still at long branch shelter? ***

slbirdnerd
09-04-2014, 15:35
Salty -- No boots, but that's where I found a dog bowl. There was a floppy hat at Standing Indian shelter, shoulda packed that out (it was only a 2 night trip) but wasn't thinking. Long Branch is NICE!

saltysack
09-04-2014, 15:49
Y but full of mice....my jrt had fun keeping them at bay ...I packed out about. 5 lbs of garbage from there but no room for the combat boots ...

illabelle
09-04-2014, 16:02

Ha! We were in that monsoon too! We did the section from Neels to Dicks Creek. Several of the water sources were seeps or trickles, so we were glad of the rain, and doubly glad to be in our tent! In spite of the elevation, it was hot and humid. We sweated a lot and felt pretty beat up by the time we finished. After a few days of rehydration, feeling much better now!

Met a SOBO guy from Montreal finishing up his sixth and final section hike. He seemed kinda happy. :)

Met a SOBO guy from Indiana going from Dicks Creek to Springer on his very first section hike. Although a 5K runner and in good condition, he was having a rough time and was ready to give up. Pack was around 30 pounds before his food and clothes. Found out he was carrying all his food for the whole section. We encouraged him to stop at Neels for the pack shakedown, and let him know he could have resupplied there instead of carrying so much. He began to have a little hope for his thru attempt next year. :)

daddytwosticks
09-04-2014, 16:20

Yes I did, however I had to modify my trip at the last minute due to family health issues. Just a short in-out hike from Winding Stair Gap to the Long Branch Shelter and out the next day (Sunday). Despite the monsoon thunderstorms late Saturday evening into Sunday wee hours, it was a very pleasant hike. Cool temps. The shelter was a great place to be during the storms. Nice and dry. Had the company of two pleasant section hikers to share the large shelter. Hope to get out for a three day hike the very end of Sept, early Oct. Don't know where yet. :)

daddytwosticks
09-04-2014, 16:22
Oh, no mouse issues for me or my fellow sheltermates at Long Branch Shelter Saturday night. My snoring might have kept them at bay. :)