PDA

View Full Version : Maps Ley / Bear Creek

10-K
08-25-2014, 13:53
Lucky y'all... for the next year I'll be asking eye-rolling CDT questions as I learn about the trail.... :)

Do most people take both Ley's and Bear Creeks maps or just one or the other?

Per Mag's suggestion and the feedback I've received from others starting at GNP and going SOBO to Rawlins would be logical start/stop points for the first half of a 2 year plan to hike the entire CDT.

I'm thinking Bear Creek's Montana/Wyoming maps and Guthooks CDT app would be sufficient - is there a reason I'd also carry Ley's maps?

(I'll likely plan to stay on the official trail such as it is and avoid alternates unless necessary)

Mags
08-25-2014, 14:42
The bc maps are excellent. But the ley maps have useful notes from previous years hikers. A mix seems to be what people do. As an aside, the bc maps and the guthook app both have alt routes. There are some places where I would reconsider the decision to take the designated route only. (The Winds, the San Juans, James Peak Wilderness area and possibly the Gila come to mind). Not because they are easier, (they are not) but because walking up high is awesome.

Being able to mix and match due to weather, wanting to see certain scenic highlights (Knapsack Col!) or "just because" is one of the joys of the CDT. :)