PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Village

smithjv
08-25-2014, 18:01
Lookin to resupply at Fontana Hilton.
Thru-Hiker Companion says the Hiker Inn is charging non-residents for packages, so plan to resupply at Fontana Village.
Does the Fontana General Store have things like PopTarts, Ramen, and protein bars?

10-K
08-25-2014, 18:04
Yes, you could easily resupply there unless you were in a bubble of people who clean out the store right before you get there. I hiked Springer-Damascus last year and stopped at Fontana Village to resupply and had no trouble. It is a bit pricey though. There's also a laundry and restaurant there.

Or, you can send a box to the lodge/hotel and pick it up 24/7 - they don't charge for that.

kayak karl
08-25-2014, 18:14
you could send a maildrop from Franklin to Fontana PO if you are concerned. was closed in january, so i sent a food drop. i wanted to do smokies in one run.

10-K
08-25-2014, 19:05
you could send a maildrop from Franklin to Fontana PO if you are concerned. was closed in january, so i sent a food drop. i wanted to do smokies in one run.

Just an FYI... the lodge/hotel also accepts resupply boxes and you can pick them up 24/7/365. The PO is probably closed more than it's open.

smithjv
08-25-2014, 19:12
Lodge doesn't require you be a resident?
That would be perfect, as we will stay at the shelter.

10-K
08-25-2014, 19:14
Lodge doesn't require you be a resident?
That would be perfect, as we will stay at the shelter.

Nope, I'm 99.999% sure of that but I'd call just to be absolutely sure.

blue indian
08-25-2014, 22:41
I was actually really surprised at the resupply at the Fontana general store. I thought it was awesome. It had everything a backpacker could want. You should be able to get enough food to get you thru the smokies easy.

TNhiker
08-25-2014, 22:52
And fwiw---at the marina, at the bathrooms at the top of the hill---there's a phone you can use to call the village for a ride over there...

I think it's 3 bucks.......

Starchild
08-26-2014, 08:00
I was disappointed as to the selection of food at the Fontana General store. My hiking diet is distinctly different then the normal thru hikers diet however. I was also in the bubble, so some of their stock was gone.

If you do the carbs as the main filling dish you should do fine, packable meats however, well the variety is just not there for a Smokies transit for me, enough to get you to Gatlingburg. Yes if you wanted to eat the same thing or similar tasting things often it could get you through, but that gets old quickly, and the prices for those types of foods are higher then other places. Again that is for a meat based diet, carb based diets should be OK.

Old Hiker
08-26-2014, 09:30
Bubble wiped out the store in 2012 - I was blessed to have been told by other hikers in Franklin to mail food forward. I was hiking slow, so I had enough food (+) to get me to G-Burg where I re-supplied for the rest of the Smokies. The PO closes early, so plan accordingly.

Lodge was pricey, but worth it for me to take a zero. Got to Fontana JUST before a line of severe storms rolled through. Great breakfast, great service. Internet, etc. or at least until the t-storms knocked it out. There was also a gas station down the hill that had great hot dogs, pizza, etc.

Just be aware: depending on how early you are, the ice cream store may be closed. I was looking forward to a root beer float.

The Fontana store had also run out of my fuel canisters.

The above info is based on my 2012 experience. YMMV.

RED-DOG
08-26-2014, 12:09
I have always been able to resupply at the " Pit-Stop " which is a gas station but they keep a good supply of hiker friendly foods. Every time I have tried to resupply at the village store they was either closed or sold out. Theirs also "A Cabin In The Woods Hostel" They will pick you up at Stecoa Gap.
I have also heard from other hikers that the " Fontana Village Inn " excepted mail drops without stay ( call ahead to make sure ).