PDA

View Full Version : I found my Trail Angels

rocketsocks
08-26-2014, 00:25
As often happens I was looking for something, and found something completely different. Wondering why a person would choose not to carry certain amenities for the sake of some small weight savings has often left me perplexed, things like band-aids, asprin, cell phone, space blanket, and extra meal or even water perhaps. When I pack these things it is with the intent that someone else besides myself might need them...be prepared was always a mantra that stuck with me, but it goes far beyond that.

Who as a hiker at some point hasn't envisioned themselves stranded out there, with no one around to help...I have. For me this thought has always been followed by a certain calm, an epiphany?...maybe, but it always takes on the shape that I can only describe has a big furry dog, headed towards me to save the day, and around his neck, a small keg of possibility's.

Is there really any wonder.....

Early lifeBernard was born about 1020,[1] probably in the Château de Menthon, near Annecy, then in the County of Savoy, a part of the Kingdom of Arles. He was descended from a rich and noble family and received a thorough education. When he had reached adulthood, he decided to devote himself to the service of the Church and refused an honorable marriage proposed by his father. In popular legend it is said that he had to sneak out of the castle on the night before an arranged wedding, and that during his flight from the castle, he threw himself from his window, only to be captured by angels and lowered gently to the ground 40 feet (12 meters) below.
Placing himself under the direction of Peter, the Archdeacon of Aosta, under whose guidance he rapidly progressed, Bernard was ordained a priest. Later, on account of his learning and virtue, he was appointed to succeed his mentor as archdeacon of the cathedral, giving him the charge of the government of the diocese, directly under the bishop.[2]
Seeing the old pagan ways still prevailing among the people of the Alps, Bernard resolved to devote himself to their conversion. For 42 years he continued to preach the Gospel to these people and even into manycantons of Lombardy, effecting numerous conversions and working many miracles.[2]
St Bernard's PassesMain articles: Great St. Bernard Pass and Little St. Bernard Pass
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Sintbernard0.jpg/300px-Sintbernard0.jpgGreat St. Bernard Pass, 2469 m, August 2003

For another reason, however, Bernard's name will forever be famous in history. Since the most ancient times there has been a path across the Pennine Alpsleading from the valley of Aosta to the Swiss canton ofValais. The traditional route of this pass is covered with perpetual snow from seven to eight feet deep, and drifts sometimes accumulate to the height of forty feet. Although the pass was extremely dangerous, especially in the springtime on account of avalanches, it was often used by French and German pilgrims on their way to Rome.[2]
In his office as archdeacon, Bernard had the charge of caring for the poor and travelers. For their convenience and protection, Bernard founded a canonry and hospice at the highest point of the pass, 8,000 feet above sea-level, in the year 1050, at the site which has came to bear his name. A few years later he established another hospice on the Little St. Bernard Pass, a mountain saddle in the Graian Alps, 7,076 feet above sea-level. Both were placed in charge of communities of canons regular, after papal approval had been obtained by Bernard during a visit to Rome. The new community was placed under the patronage of St. Nicholas of Myra, patron saint of travelers.[1]
The last act of St. Bernard's life was the reconciliation of two noblemen whose strife threatened a fatal outcome. He died in June 1081 in the Imperial Free City of Novara and was interred in the monastery of St. Lawrence.[1]
Legacyhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/TBW_Villgraten_Fahne.JPG/300px-TBW_Villgraten_Fahne.JPGSaint Bernard on the flag of the Tyrolean Alpine Guard, detachment Villgraten valley

These hospices were renowned for the generous hospitality extended to all travelers over the Great and Little St. Bernard, so called in honor of the founder of these charitable institutions. At all seasons of the year, but especially during heavy snow-storms, the canons, later accompanied by their well-trained dogs, the common herding dogs of the Valais ("St Bernards" are attested from the 17th century), went out in search of victims who might have succumbed to the severity of the weather. They offered food, clothing, and shelter to the unfortunate travelers and took care of the dead. They depended on gifts and collections for sustenance.
As of 2012 the congregation consisted of about 35professed members, the majority of whom live at the hospice while some provide pastoral care to neighboring parishes.[1] St. Bernard dogs are still on the site as pets; helicopters are used in rescue operations today.[3]
Although venerated from the 12th century in such places of northern Italy as Aosta, Novara and Brescia, Bernard was not formally recognized as a saint until his canonization by Pope Innocent XI in 1681. His feast is celebrated on 28 May.[4] Pope Pius XI confirmed Bernard as the patron saint of the Alps in 1923. His image appears in the flag of some detachments of the Tyrolean Alpine Guard. He is also the patron saint of skiing, snowboarding, hiking, backpacking, mountaineering.

So next time you go hiking (be it day hike, or multi day hike) and have your stuff all spread out ready for packing, maybe bring a few extra things for the person in need...just a thought, and in the Spirit of things. I promise you greater rewards than I have a right to, but they're yours for the taking...Git some! :)

funny how we spin things...is it not?

rocketsocks
08-26-2014, 00:27
Oops...almost forgot to give credit where credit is due.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=452

rocketsocks
08-26-2014, 00:30
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWzui6AID0lZb0JKhEmDC_GMTdYJciI dtGAtUOSvVG8vO5jlIR:www.arkanimalspace.com/ark-blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Bernard-6.jpg

and just because.

rocketsocks
08-26-2014, 20:45
...any how, I never knew St. Bernard was the patron Saint of Hikers, and found the article an interesting history read as it relates to people helping people/complete strangers for almost a thousand years...and likely longer. Gives me a whole new perspective on trail angels...again, funny how we spin things, is it not?

Another Kevin
08-26-2014, 21:14
St Bernard de Menthon is indeed the patron of hikers (as well as of a nice dog!).

At one point, I asked found a priest to bless my climbing gear. (And he was tickled - they don't get to do that blessing very often, it's kind of a "collect 'em, trade 'em" thing!) The church actually has a special blessing for climbing equipment (https://faithandenvironment.wordpress.com/tag/blessing-of-tools-for-scaling-mountains/), which of course invokes St Bernard.

Quis ascendit in montem Domini, autquis stabit in loco sancto ejus? Ps. 23(24):3

rocketsocks
08-26-2014, 21:34
St Bernard de Menthon is indeed the patron of hikers (as well as of a nice dog!).

At one point, I asked found a priest to bless my climbing gear. (And he was tickled - they don't get to do that blessing very often, it's kind of a "collect 'em, trade 'em" thing!) The church actually has a special blessing for climbing equipment (https://faithandenvironment.wordpress.com/tag/blessing-of-tools-for-scaling-mountains/), which of course invokes St Bernard.

Quis ascendit in montem Domini, autquis stabit in loco sancto ejus? Ps. 23(24):3

Hey, when one is out there on a precipice, one can use all the hep the good Saint can provide...good find. Time to brush up on my Latin.

rocketsocks
08-26-2014, 21:37
I'm sure many here can relate to the Tibetan prayer flags and rituals that always proceeds a expedition...When in Rome I always say...or the Himalayas.

Another Kevin
08-26-2014, 22:27
I'm sure many here can relate to the Tibetan prayer flags and rituals that always proceeds a expedition...When in Rome I always say...or the Himalayas.

The first time I took my daughter on an overnight backpack, the trailhead was across the street from a Tibetan monastery. Once in a while when hiking I come across their monks. I can always hear them coming, because they have little bronze prayer bells hung on their packs. She likes the idea that every time a flag flaps, or a prayer wheel turns, or a bell rings, it says a prayer.

Just Bill
08-27-2014, 21:54
Catholic's got all the angles covered, lol. No matter where you turn there's a patron saint to identify with.:D
Still fun history/info/trivia socks.
Perhaps Cookie Lady, Bob Peoples, and Miss Janet should talk to the Vatican for canonization. Well maybe not Miss Janet...:)

Just Bill
08-27-2014, 22:05

Tobacco Ties for me.
Our wedding ceremony was based upon the NA binding ceremonies. One tie from each of the directions wrapped around our wrists and we were bound for, "As long as the sun shall shine and the grass shall grow."

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-28-2014, 07:22
Tobacco Ties for me.
Our wedding ceremony was based upon the NA binding ceremonies. One tie from each of the directions wrapped around our wrists and we were bound for, "As long as the sun shall shine and the grass shall grow."

Beautiful :)