PDA

View Full Version : 3 Day suggestions

Michael Spain
08-26-2014, 21:02
I am looking for an interesting 3 day/2 night backcountry hike/camp for me & my 9 y/o son to do 2nd or 3rd week of Sept. We did the top end of Jacks River a few years ago. I want something that includes something fun like exploring a cave, senic vista, something to spark his interest. Location in the North Ga/ Tenn/ NC area.

Any suggestions?

saltysack
08-26-2014, 21:06
Try the 40 mile section sobo to Damascus, Va..just north of nc/tn border....truly amazing
Ponies, balds and plenty of vistas..park at mount rogers outfitters and shuttle... My favorite section by far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Spain
08-26-2014, 21:20
Try the 40 mile section sobo to Damascus, Va..just north of nc/tn border....truly amazing
Ponies, balds and plenty of vistas.k

That sounds fantastic. Probably should have mentioned that we are from the Athens/Atlanta area. Damascus is about 5.5 hours away from us. We would spend probably too much time in the car and not enough time in nature for this trip. Thank you for the suggestion though.

saltysack
08-26-2014, 21:28
Standing indian loop outside franklin...great 24 mike loop...recently took my 8 yr old.. Good views atop Albert mtn tower and standing indian mtn

kayak karl
08-26-2014, 21:41
Ponies, balds and plenty of vistas..park at mount rogers outfitters and shuttle... My favorite section by far...

i agree with this and YES, so many shuttle options.

HooKooDooKu
08-27-2014, 00:32
The area I can offer advice is GSMNP.
What kind of mileage per day are you looking for?

If the park would ever reopen campsite 13, a two night loop I would suggest is to park at Twenty Mile ranger station, hike Twenty Mile trail to the AT, hang a right and go see the 60' Shuckstack fire tower (that you can still climb... if you dare). From there, turn around and hike to campsite 113. Next day, hike uphill to Doe Knob, turn left to Gregory Bald for some 360 degree views. Then spend the 2nd night at campsite 13 (currently closed). Finish the circle via Wolf Ridge.

Another alternative is the Big Creek campground area. You can make a 2 night loop out of campsites 37 (by a large creek) and 38 (under another 60' fire tower you can climb that seems a bit more stable). But you've got to be quick as campsite 38 is popular and frequently full on the weekends.

If you like longer distances, you could make a loop out of starting in the Tremont area, hike Middle Prong to Derrick Knob the 1st day. The 2nd day, travel the AT including some views atop Thunderhead and Rocky Top. Spend the 2nd night at Spence Field (again, currently closed) or campsite 9. Finish the loop hiking down to Tremont and hike the gravel road back to the start of Middle Prong.

Another loop with relatively short days would be to park at Abrams' Falls parking lot, hike to campsite 15 for the 1st night (near a big creek) and over to 17 the 2nd night (again by a big creek). The hike up Abrams' Falls trail back to the car will include a stop off at Abrams' Falls, one of the most popular falls in the park.

Gambit McCrae
08-27-2014, 07:55
I would, as I always do, suggest the Roan mountain section of the AT, balds the whole trip, and plenty of ending spot options with a great shuttle service nearby. If you would like more info on this area feel free to PM me

DMoose
08-27-2014, 08:01
You could always do the approach trail and hike to Woody Gap totaling about 29 miles and it is close to Atlanta.

10-K
08-27-2014, 08:11
If you're not locked into the AT checkout the Foothills Trail in South Carolina, roughly in the Greenville/Spartanburg area.

It's easier hiking than the AT, has lots of camping spots, plenty of water, and some great waterfalls. It's also maintained at standards easily as high as the AT and is easy to follow.

Gambit McCrae
08-27-2014, 08:16
If you're not locked into the AT checkout the Foothills Trail in South Carolina, roughly in the Greenville/Spartanburg area.

It's easier hiking than the AT, has lots of camping spots, plenty of water, and some great waterfalls. It's also maintained at standards easily as high as the AT and is easy to follow.

Good sugestion! Ill have to check that out someday

Michael Spain
08-27-2014, 12:17
I like the idea of a loop so you're seeing different scenery and landscape. Standing Indian loop sounds perfect. I Googled it and found a thread on BPL where it mention the trail markers can be a bit confusing. Any expierence there?

Still soliciting suggestions.

Thanks, Mike

saltysack
08-27-2014, 13:06
I like the idea of a loop so you're seeing different scenery and landscape. Standing Indian loop sounds perfect. I Googled it and found a thread on BPL where it mention the trail markers can be a bit confusing. Any expierence there?

Still soliciting suggestions.

Thanks, Mike

Very easy to follow except down Kimsey creek can be confusing but ur near campground so you'll survive...I prefer to park at back country kiosk then up the long branch tr to glassmine gap turn rt(s) on AT to deep gap back down Kimsey creek trail at deep gap...nice 24 mike loop...
I've done it several times... Great loop