PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking Guide everything you need to know + send me your trail blogs!

da_wart
08-27-2014, 04:12
Hey guys when I started my thru hike on the Appalachian trail there was so much conflicting information out there that I ended up doing just about everything wrong before my hike, like buying all the wrong gear which I had to rebuy stuff spending way to much money.

So I decided to make a website with all the needed information to hike the Trail.

Check it out here: http://www.theslowmovers.com
28166 (http://www.theslowmovers.com)
If you guys have any guides or information you would like to add to the website just send it to me and I will put it up. For example if you have a gear layout similar to mine I will put it under the gear link.

Also if you guys have any trail blogs I will put your trail blog on the right hand side of the website.

Feel free to ask questions to add to the FAQ especially if you know some good Questions that new thru hikers like to ask.

****I will also add PCT/CDT guides up on the website and link back to any site you want for whoever wrote them if you want to get it up on the site, just message me through the contact form. Or ask me something in this thread.

Thanks.

kayak karl
08-27-2014, 07:15
the reason there is " so much conflicting information out there " is because there are so many different hiking styles. what is SO wrong about making mistakes and finding your own way.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2014, 07:50
all the AT info one needs is right here at WB

BuckeyeBill
08-27-2014, 11:19
all the AT info one needs is right here at WB

+1 Lone Wolf you know everyone thinks they can build a better mouse trap.

Traveler
08-27-2014, 11:52
Gear that works wonderfully for one person may not for another, which is why there are a lot of choices in gear. Though suggestions based on the opinions and experiences of one person may work, the only real test is how it works for you. But as Kayak Karl points out, what is wrong with making mistakes that leads you to success? Thats part of the joy of the journey in a manner of speaking.

Dogwood
08-27-2014, 14:41
+1 to what KK and AT Traveler said.

You might look at your hiking as an evolutionary dynamic process where you're constantly, hopefully, increasing your knowledge. What you did buying gear before your hike wasn't necessarily wrong; perhaps, it's more accurate to say it was exactly right based on the understanding you had at that time. It's a fallacy to believe anyone will ever know all there is to know about hiking much less anything else. But, that's OK. We hike on. We find our own way. :)

10-K
08-27-2014, 17:13
+1 to what KK and AT Traveler said.

You might look at your hiking as an evolutionary dynamic process where you're constantly, hopefully, increasing your knowledge. What you did buying gear before your hike wasn't necessarily wrong; perhaps, it's more accurate to say it was exactly right based on the understanding you had at that time. It's a fallacy to believe anyone will ever know all there is to know about hiking much less anything else. But, that's OK. We hike on. We find our own way. :)

My wife tells me I have enough gear to take me and 4 people I don't like hiking. :)

dangerdave
08-29-2014, 13:01
All the information and resources you need (including scores of experienced hikers) are right here. Dozens of comparative studies on gear, food, resupply, accommodations. Blogs, journals, diaries. If you can't find it, ask. If you can't ask, read. If you can't read, guess. The choices may seem daunting (I though so at first), but everyone falls down on their own bag (lol) at night. You won't like or hate someone else's gear, you will like or hate your own.

I'm not an experienced hiker, however---in spite of all recommendations---I have to choose my own gear. I'll pick out what I think will work for me (because that's the best anyone can do) and try it on the trail. Replace as needed. Rinse and repeat.

rocketsocks
08-29-2014, 15:34
further...

I don't begrudge anyone a website, even you. But in this case it just seems as though the OP came here without hangin' around a bit, and posted what to me seems like a advertisement...Spam if you will. Had he become a member hung around a bit, told a few jokes or whatever, I think it would have been more well received. jm2 cents worth of an opinion.

dangerdave
08-29-2014, 17:13
My original impression was akin to rocketsocks. "An advertisement?", I thought? Here? And shamelessly on his first post?! Really?! I'm surprised it hasn't been deleted already.

So, he's simmered down all the "conflicting information out there" after his thru-hike experience to form his own personal opinion on what he thinks everyone should know. Some people's arrogance knows no bounds.

I'm not going to his site. I've found everything I need here. I choose where to grant my hits.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2014, 20:15
it's just walkin' y'all :cool:

rocketsocks
08-30-2014, 18:45
With all of this bumping and checking, is there where the "hockey breaks out at the fight"? :D
Hockey...I thought we were playin' 5 card hold this in your hand.

Dogwood
08-30-2014, 18:53
BTW, welcome to WB Da-Wart and Tianto. You'll fit right in here. :)

rocketsocks
08-30-2014, 18:57
BTW, welcome to WB Da-Wart and Tianto. You'll fit right in here. :)
+1 on this, nothin happens here that can't be fixed. :)

dangerdave
08-30-2014, 20:14
If putting you in your place, relieving this message board of your tirades and exposing others to your lack of maturity qualifies as an intelligent post to you , then we can start a new thread and show everyone your intellect, or lack thereof.

I have noticed that you and some of the other giant egos on this board have toned it down quite a bit since my arrival, perhaps this thorn in your side will stick around for a while if for anything, to keep you and your clan in check to allow others to discuss things in a civil manner.

As for me, i quite enjoy disarming the message board bullies like yourself, a hobby I guess you could say.

Ah, now I understand. I have had dealings with your like many, many times on the internet over the past several decades. Uncivil, juvenile, disingenuous. What a worn out old cliche! Instigate, obfuscate, and then retreat behind your trollish facade of self-aggrandizement (You can Google that, so you'll know what it means).

She has come here to troll, guys! She will not go away until she has burned herself out (or gotten herself banned). With some pathetically childish individuals, it is a sick moronic contest regarding how long they will be allowed to abuse others on any given web site. It's nothing new, but still equivalent to a six year old girl throwing a tempt tantrum.

You can try to hide behind anonymity, girl, but intelligent adults can read you like a cheap graphic novel. :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
08-30-2014, 20:18
Do stick around though, even though your just a movie of the week, a bumper sticker at best!

da_wart
09-03-2014, 20:31
I been on this site at least for a few years off and on, I had another account name but I can't remember what it was since its been over a year since I used it last.

I did browse this site before I went on my hike but I found all the information here confusing and kinda all over the place. I believe I have consolidated the information into a good starter package for someone to get up and go on the AT by following my advice.

And I do think my advice will work just for about anyone, and the site is there so people can ask questions and I will guide them in the right direction if they ask.

If you guys want to add anything let me know and I will.

da_wart
09-03-2014, 20:35
Also let me know if you want your trail blogs linked through the website~ would love to get some of your guys blogs/sites up!

kayak karl
09-03-2014, 21:00
the info you consolidated doesn't work for everybody. your hammock setup for me at 6-3 200lbs. a pack cover? why not a packa.
i don't even post my gear list. been told i don't take enough clothes. told i'm going to freeze with no down jacket and stuff. i just can't see ANYONE having all the answers, even most of them for all hikers. there is nothing on your site you can't find here.
Congratulations on your thru hike :welcome

Dogwood
09-03-2014, 21:05
"I did browse this site before I went on my hike but I found all the information here confusing and kinda all over the place."

To a certain extent that can be true, it is after all a largely opinion based website - JUST AS YOUR SITE ALSO IS!, - but again it's because of what was said in the second post on this thread - "there are so many different hiking styles!"

"I believe I have consolidated the information into a good starter package for someone to get up and go on the AT by following my advice."

That's good! I'm sure it will be helpful to someone. However, IMHO, and I would say in a great many other thru-hiker's opinions, much info has been consolidated already on hiking the AT right here on WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze, being there exists such an extreme varying depth of AT info, it's going to naturally produce a greater variety of opinions when compared to a newer AT related hiking site like your site currently is. It will happen on your site too as it ages! - varying opinions will amass. That's GOOD! That's what's so great about hiking. Each of us gets to individually decide what info we accept, refuse, or not apply as well all hike on own hikes. That is, not everyone does the same hike or hikes with the same style. That's GOOD!

Dogwood
09-03-2014, 21:08
as well all hike (our) own hikes.

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 21:18
I did browse this site before I went on my hike but I found all the information here confusing and kinda all over the place. I believe I have consolidated the information into a good starter package for someone to get up and go on the AT by following my advice.

Cool, maybe post an article.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?9-articles

:welcometo white blaze

da_wart
09-11-2014, 02:20
Okay thats a good idea maybe I will make a article with the information thats on my site.

Statue
09-12-2014, 15:15
I have some information on davidshiking.com. The most useful page is probably the Day to Day movement page.

http://davidshiking.com/day-to-day-movement/

Mags
09-12-2014, 15:34
I take the opposite. It is impossible to know everything. Rather, I think it is more important to have some quick info on where to find more detailed info.

I am biased, but I think my Q&D guides help distill the info down a bit. I don't claim to have the answers. I just hope to point out to people where they can get the answers they need...

http://www.pmags.com/topics/quick-and-dirty-guides

Another Kevin
09-12-2014, 21:27
What everyone else said about hiking styles is absolutely true. I could tell you what I found it useful to bring for a 4 day section hike in Massachusetts, for instance, but how much would it help if you didn't know the hike was in February and I was on snowshoes?

gsrethnasamy
11-15-2014, 04:54
Hi,
My name is Ganeson and from Australia
I am planning thru hike in 2015 end of March / April. Could you help me what guide books, maps , need to carry on the AT. I have "The A.T. Guide by AWOL, David Miller, Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers' companion, AT data book. What should I bring and also can you buy guidebooks and maps along the trail. Your advice / any body would be much appreciated.

thanks

Grampie
11-15-2014, 11:08
I was a novice backpacker before I decided to attempt a thru-hike. I also needed information on how to go about prepairing. I purchased the book, "The Thru-hikers Planning Guide," by Dan, Wingfoot Bruce. This book contains all the information you will need to know. It is written in a manner that explains the pros and cons of the decisions and choices you have to make and lets you decide.
I used his advise during my thru-hike planning. Once I started my hike I soon learned that , using Wingfoot's advise my choies were all correct.
His advice helped me greatly, at the age of 66 have a successfull thru-hike.
His book was published in 1997 so by todays standards it may be a little out dated.

RED-DOG
11-15-2014, 11:52
No one person has all the answers, that's why their is so many conflicting opinions here on WB, every body wants to be the WB GURU, it takes some folks a good while before they figure out their hiking style or figure out which gear is right for that individual, seriously the AT is probably one of the easier trails to plan for, if anybody out their can't find the info they need or can't figure out the gear selection you NOT trying, did you really think the AT was going to pull up her dress and give it to you, you really thought it was going to be that easy, if it was that easy their would be a bigger completion rate.

TEXMAN
11-18-2014, 18:41
It's all relative ....
I never backpacked before I started my THRU attempt . Could say I was very green. Because I had started growing a beard a month earlier I looked
the part at Springer and by the second day on the trail other newbies were asking me for advice ....which I gave for free

MuddyWaters
11-18-2014, 20:55
IfIf it wasn't for all the mistakes newbies make, most trail journals wouldnt be worth reading. That's also why they typically get really boring after the smokies, about the time they figure things out and settle into routine.