PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with BF(future husband) for first long hike

Different Socks
08-27-2014, 12:56
what should I expect?

We will be thru hiking the Ice Age Trial and I'm new to this. Have great enthusiasm, but also the usual doubts. Other than what he has told me so far, is here anything, especially the female hikers out here, that you can tell me?

Mags
08-27-2014, 13:12
how much previous backpacking experience does your partner have?

Is this first long hike period? First backpacking trip? Or first long trip being done with a significant other for both of you?

That could make a difference.

If the person is new to backpacking, weekend trips to iron out gear and hiking style issues is probably an excellent idea. I know for my wife and I, it took us a while to get our system dialed in..and we are still working on it. :) She had previous backpacking trips under her belt, too.

If we had done a long hike together, AS OUR FIRST TRIP, much hilarity would happen. :O

Different Socks
08-27-2014, 13:17
how much previous backpacking experience does your partner have? 1000s of miles and several long hikes, some of which were thru hikes.

Is this first long hike period? First backpacking trip? Or first long trip being done with a significant other for both of you? Yes, Kindofsortof, yes.

Gambit McCrae
08-27-2014, 13:19
A thru can be whatever you make it, just like any other hike. You can mot of the time make it as comfortable as you want it to be. If its rainging, you can take a zero, you can walk 25 miles a day, its really up to you what you make it. Rain, heat, humidity, too much food, not enough food too much food, mice, snow...imagine what the conditions are like outside for 24/7 1200 miles work which could be between 60-120 days of hiking, and put yorself in those conditions.

BCPete
08-27-2014, 13:20
Whatever you do ... make sure you will be warm at all temps you expect - and then some!

My wife is brutally cold blooded, and if we didn't make our gear selections according to her needs, we would probably not have continued backpacking for the past 25 years here in the Cdn Rockies. Guys are generally more warm blooded than the gals, and are probably more prone to accept suffering if they didn't bring the proper gear for colder conditions. Make sure you think about your clothing & sleeping bag for your needs ... don't use same system the BF uses if you are somewhat cold-blooded compared to him.

Gambit McCrae
08-27-2014, 13:29
Whatever you do ... make sure you will be warm at all temps you expect - and then some!

My wife is brutally cold blooded, and if we didn't make our gear selections according to her needs, we would probably not have continued backpacking for the past 25 years here in the Cdn Rockies. Guys are generally more warm blooded than the gals, and are probably more prone to accept suffering if they didn't bring the proper gear for colder conditions. Make sure you think about your clothing & sleeping bag for your needs ... don't use same system the BF uses if you are somewhat cold-blooded compared to him.

+1 on that
Well said bcpete!

Slo-go'en
08-27-2014, 13:40
One thing for sure, you'll find out if you can live together 24/7 :) Have him take you out on some short hikes first, overnight to start. That will give you an idea of what to expect and find out if this is something you actually like to do.

BTW, did you highjack Different Socks account, who I'm guessing is your BF?

SpottedCow
08-27-2014, 14:01
I live practically right on the IAT in South Central WI near Madison, so give me a shout if I can do anything to help! Are you going East to West?

fadedsun
08-27-2014, 14:57

This.

Also, it doesn't sound like you've done a lot of backpacking. You should be warned that there is a period of your body adjusting and that this period is usually pretty uncomfortable and sometimes painful. For many experienced hikers this period is far enough in the past that it has lost it's sharp edges and they consequently forget to mention it. I recommend you be mentally and emotionally prepared for this. It passes and backpacking becomes much more rewarding.

Different Socks
08-27-2014, 15:09
One thing for sure, you'll find out if you can live together 24/7 :) Have him take you out on some short hikes first, overnight to start. That will give you an idea of what to expect and find out if this is something you actually like to do.

BTW, did you highjack Different Socks account, who I'm guessing is your BF? No, I just used his acct with his permission. It was idea to ask the question so I don't hear it all from him. And yes he is my BF, and though we have know each other for only 2 months, we match up well enough in many aspects of hobbies, interests, ideas and personality that we know we'd like to be married. He has already taken me on a wet dayhike which I thoroughly enjoyed b/c I like rain, and an overnight carrying my own loaded backpack.

Different Socks
08-27-2014, 15:11
I live practically right on the IAT in South Central WI near Madison, so give me a shout if I can do anything to help! Are you going East to West?

Yes on the route choice b/c we wish to finish at St Croix Falls so we can then go do the Superior Hiking Trail.

ShaneP
08-27-2014, 15:12
what should I expect?

We will be thru hiking the Ice Age Trial and I'm new to this. Have great enthusiasm, but also the usual doubts. Other than what he has told me so far, is here anything, especially the female hikers out here, that you can tell me?

Just be sure that you want to do this. That's a hell of a test for a relationship. Hikers tend to do things differently and at their own pace. On an adventure like this, all of the little things become big things, and there will be no other room to retreat to when you need some space.

I say this because my friend's brother did a thru of the AT for a honeymoon. At the end of the trail, they went their separate ways.

Different Socks
08-27-2014, 15:16
This.

Also, it doesn't sound like you've done a lot of backpacking. You should be warned that there is a period of your body adjusting and that this period is usually pretty uncomfortable and sometimes painful. For many experienced hikers this period is far enough in the past that it has lost it's sharp edges and they consequently forget to mention it. I recommend you be mentally and emotionally prepared for this. It passes and backpacking becomes much more rewarding.

No on backpacking. He plans to take me on shorter overnight hikes to get used to equip, gear, weight, clothing and all aspects of weather as well as tolerating each other's dirtiness, bad habits, body odor, flatulence, unappetizing foods and other things.

rocketsocks
08-27-2014, 15:28
what should I expect?

We will be thru hiking the Ice Age Trial and I'm new to this. Have great enthusiasm, but also the usual doubts. Other than what he has told me so far, is here anything, especially the female hikers out here, that you can tell me?What do you mean, like should you rub his feet at the end of the day, cook him dinner...make him rub his own damn feet and cook his own damn dinner, hehe If your to be married I'd nip that crap in the bud straight away.:D

rocketsocks
08-27-2014, 15:30
DF knows what he's doin...your in good hands, have a great hike. :)

rocketsocks
08-27-2014, 15:31
oops, that's Different socks, not DF

fadedsun
08-27-2014, 15:35
No on backpacking. He plans to take me on shorter overnight hikes to get used to equip, gear, weight, clothing and all aspects of weather as well as tolerating each other's dirtiness, bad habits, body odor, flatulence, unappetizing foods and other things.

The shorter hikes first is an excellent idea. I did this also before I did my first long-distance. It prepared me in many ways. It did not prepare my body for the day-in/day-out stresses of long-distance hiking. It might be fun to start a thread soliciting stories of pains and tribulations experienced when folks were brand-new to backpacking. I'm sure most of these stories will end "and it was all worth it."

SpottedCow
08-29-2014, 11:08
Yes on the route choice b/c we wish to finish at St Croix Falls so we can then go do the Superior Hiking Trail.

Nice! You will definitely enjoy the SHT. It's awesome. I hope you are prepared for a lot of road walking on the IAT.

WingedMonkey
08-29-2014, 11:28
The first thing you should do is open your own account. Then if things don't work out (or if they so) you can report back to us.
;)

Wülfgang
08-29-2014, 12:27
...and though we have know each other for only 2 months

: grabs popcorn :

bigcranky
08-29-2014, 12:31
My wife and I have been backpacking together for more than twenty years, mostly weekends and some week-long trips. Nothing over 75 or 80 miles. This summer we did our first long hike together, the Long Trail in Vermont, which is about 275 miles. So she had a lot of backpacking experience, but very limited thru-hiking experience, like hitching and resupplying and all that.

We spent 27 days on the trail, 24 hours a day, never more than a few yards from each other. We LOVED it. Being able to have that kind of one-on-one time, without any of the distractions of modern life, was an amazing gift.

Of course there are challenges. We were lucky in that when one of us was having a bad morning, the other one was in pretty good shape and could offer support. We also rallied as a team against a common enemy -- the trail itself. (Gah. #$%#$%%$ Long Trail. I think I set a record for f-bombs in one month.)

Some thoughts:

Get experience hiking with your gear, setting up camp, etc. It doesn't take long to get into a routine, but it helps if you already have some idea how to pack your own pack, how you both will split up camp chores, whether you like to eat the same things, etc. When we get to camp, my wife goes to the water source and fills our water bags, while I set up the tent. Then she sets up all of our sleeping gear inside the tent while I filter water and start dinner. The end result is a nice campsite and dinner, all at about the same time. In the morning I get up and go get our food bags to start coffee and breakfast while she packs all the sleeping gear and starts tossing stuff sacks out of the tent. Then we pack up and sit down for breakfast.

On the AT I would suggest that you be willing to hike apart when necessary, but I don't know if that's a good idea on the IAT.

Give each other some space when needed.

Give some thought ahead of time to what each of you will do if one or the other decides to get off the trail. Keep hiking, with support from the other person? Get off the trail as well?

Also think about hiking style and how that affects both of you. If one of you is a "get up at 5am and hike fast all day" type of hiker, and the other is a "sleep until 9 and stop at every overlook" type, that's something to work out in advance. You probably don't know what kind of hiker you are, yet, but you can think about how goal oriented you are, and how you handle challenges and work with other people out in the world.

Thru-hiking is work, and it's frankly harder than my regular job. Way harder. There are plenty of times when it's not really much fun, too. But the good parts are REALLY good, and what I remember when I'm finished is the views from all the mountains that I climbed, and the way the light looked slanting across the pond at sunset, and the feeling of exhilaration during a storm, and the cool air blowing across my face at night. It also makes me appreciate all the little things that I ignore in the modern world. Like showers, and pizza, and cold beer, preferably all at the same time :)

Good luck. This is a way to get to know someone else on a fundamental level, deeper than you ever thought possible.

rocketsocks
08-29-2014, 12:47
My wife and I have been backpacking together for more than twenty years, mostly weekends and some week-long trips. Nothing over 75 or 80 miles. This summer we did our first long hike together, the Long Trail in Vermont, which is about 275 miles. So she had a lot of backpacking experience, but very limited thru-hiking experience, like hitching and resupplying and all that.

We spent 27 days on the trail, 24 hours a day, never more than a few yards from each other. We LOVED it. Being able to have that kind of one-on-one time, without any of the distractions of modern life, was an amazing gift.

Of course there are challenges. We were lucky in that when one of us was having a bad morning, the other one was in pretty good shape and could offer support. We also rallied as a team against a common enemy -- the trail itself. (Gah. #$%#$%%$ Long Trail. I think I set a record for f-bombs in one month.)

Some thoughts:

Get experience hiking with your gear, setting up camp, etc. It doesn't take long to get into a routine, but it helps if you already have some idea how to pack your own pack, how you both will split up camp chores, whether you like to eat the same things, etc. When we get to camp, my wife goes to the water source and fills our water bags, while I set up the tent. Then she sets up all of our sleeping gear inside the tent while I filter water and start dinner. The end result is a nice campsite and dinner, all at about the same time. In the morning I get up and go get our food bags to start coffee and breakfast while she packs all the sleeping gear and starts tossing stuff sacks out of the tent. Then we pack up and sit down for breakfast.

On the AT I would suggest that you be willing to hike apart when necessary, but I don't know if that's a good idea on the IAT.

Give each other some space when needed.

Give some thought ahead of time to what each of you will do if one or the other decides to get off the trail. Keep hiking, with support from the other person? Get off the trail as well?

Also think about hiking style and how that affects both of you. If one of you is a "get up at 5am and hike fast all day" type of hiker, and the other is a "sleep until 9 and stop at every overlook" type, that's something to work out in advance. You probably don't know what kind of hiker you are, yet, but you can think about how goal oriented you are, and how you handle challenges and work with other people out in the world.

Thru-hiking is work, and it's frankly harder than my regular job. Way harder. There are plenty of times when it's not really much fun, too. But the good parts are REALLY good, and what I remember when I'm finished is the views from all the mountains that I climbed, and the way the light looked slanting across the pond at sunset, and the feeling of exhileration during a storm, and the cool air blowing across my face at night. It also makes me appreciate all the little things that I ignore in the modern world. Like showers, and pizza, and cold beer, preferably all at the same time :)

Good luck. This is a way to get to know someone else on a fundamental level, deeper than you ever thought possible.+1 on all bigcranky said...especially this.

bangorme
08-29-2014, 18:32
Ah, married couples sharing hobbies... that's risky business. Especially when one has to "teach" the other the hobby. Some couples can do it, but just understand that it adds some additional stress to the adventure, and there is no escaping each other when you are stuck together in a four foot wide tent for a few days. I could give you some horror stories, but I'm not going to. Give it a shot, just don't make the sharing of this hobby more important than what it is. I've been married over 40 years and enjoy the solitude backpacking can provide.

squeezebox
08-29-2014, 19:21
( future husband)
I read a computer blog a while ago, written by a woman who complained that she recently changed from boy friend 12.4 to husband 1.0 program. She complained about the flatulance, lack of flowers etc. She was informed that boy friend was an entertainment program , where as husband is a daily operating system.
She was also warned that the 2 programs were incompatible, and should never be run at the same time.

BCPete
08-29-2014, 19:52
... stuck together in a four foot wide tent for a few days.

My wife & I were stuck in our tent for 4.5 days straight during a trip in Gates of the Arctic NP. No big deal, but I suppose it helps to have always been pretty mellow with each other's habits. Hint: It really helps if you can genuinely laugh off her winning the daily farting contests.

fiddlehead
08-29-2014, 20:21
Just be sure that you want to do this. That's a hell of a test for a relationship. Hikers tend to do things differently and at their own pace. On an adventure like this, all of the little things become big things, and there will be no other room to retreat to when you need some space.

I say this because my friend's brother did a thru of the AT for a honeymoon. At the end of the trail, they went their separate ways.

This can go both ways.
In '77, I thru-hiked with my (then) girlfriend.
We got along so good on the trail and being together 24/7 that we got married afterwards.
The marriage lasted less time than the thru-hike.
When we weren't together, and didn't see each other much, well............it didn't work out.

I saw her last year (what's that? 36 years later?) and she told me she still thinks about that hike often and misses the trail.
We live in different hemispheres now, I still hike, she just thinks about it.
Just sayin.

You'll discover a LOT about your future husband.
Good luck.
Enjoy the trail.

Speakeasy TN
08-30-2014, 09:39
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=336990

I had the pleasure of hiking with Trudge and Eureka. Well written journal and real world issues.

Tianto
08-30-2014, 12:34
My wife and I have backpacked all over and in some of the remote places in the world (think 2 days and a bush pilot to get to the starting line). Interestingly enough we get along better on the trail that at home as you have to rely on each other. It is a great way to learn each others strengths and weaknesses. The only thing that weighed heavy on me was when we were doing technical stuff (i.e. glacier crossing, scree hopping at 10k ft) as I sometimes found it hard to focus on my task due to the fact that I worried about her safety.

A long hike is a great way to work out the bugs in your relationship and determine weather or not your compatible, the technical stuff will come with time. We have spent 20 yrs enjoying the backcountry of many continents and for me, she is the only one I would rather hike with.