PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Crown VC 60 experience, air beam from and DIY mod

Powder River
08-27-2014, 14:05
I bought a GG Crown AC 60 this year in the hopes that it would offer a better solution than either my ancient ULA Circuit with sagging back panel and a bad case of creaking, or my too-heavy Osprey Atmos.

There are a ton of things I really like about the pack, and top of the list is simplicity. Everything about the size, design and pockets is spot on. There is not too much or too little.

Unfortunately, the "frame" on this pack is extremely weak and my shoulders have paid for every trip I've taken it on. There is a floppy, thin HDPE frame sheet, and a little bit of padding in the back panel but that is it. I started looking for a Blaze AC 60, but could not find one to try on anywhere. Finally I started reading about the Klymit Air Beam frame made especially for the GG packs, and at $50 I took the plunge.

I have yet to take the pack out with the new air beam but the frame is noticeably stiffer, and I have confidence that it will be an improvement to the carry comfort. However, GG/Klymit made a huge oversight when designing this pad, in that the nozzle for the pad sticks out a good 2" from the corner, and there is no slit in the panel to accommodate this:

You can either leave the corner hanging out, or as GG customer service suggested, FOLD IT OVER. This seems like a ridiculous solution for a problem that would have been EXTREMELY easy for them to address. As you can see, this does not appear to be a viable solution with an air pad pumped up to the hardness of a bike tire.

Time for a little DIY! The first plan was to cut a slot with an exacto knife and have my wife sew a binding onto it. However upon cutting the material, we thought it would do just fine with melted edges so out came the hot knife. Now, as you can see, it's fixed!

I think this is a much better solution than leaving the pocket unzipped or folding the pad over. Now to go on a hike to find out if this frame is any more adequate!

HeartFire
08-27-2014, 15:10
I have a GG blaze. I've worn out 2 GG nimbus ozones, and the blaze is as close as you can get to it - but I did some major mods to the pack. I did not like the 'foam' pad in the back - its got ridges for better air flow - well the ridges hurt my back, the pad in my old nimbus ozone was much more comfortable, so out it came and replaced the new one. I also don't like the line locks and cords on the Blaze, so I cut the buckles and webbings off my ozone and replaced the line locks. - This was NOT easy. The pack is really well made and it was a lot of effort to get the line locks out of the pack and replaced with buckles. The other thing I did not like on the new pack is the draw cord in the top of the pack is very hard to pull. The fabric has a heavy PU coating which makes it not slippery - so I opened up the top, lined it with sil nylon and presto - a draw cord that pulls. Oh, I did one more thing, I didn't like the waist belt - it's too wide for me, so I replaced it with the one from my ozone. The difference here is that the belt on the blaze has a stiffer center back - the ozone, the belt velcro'd and bolted tot he pack. I added some corset boning to the belt to stiffen it and it works great. I now have the pack I want and love. (All I really needed was a new 'bag' for my ozone.)

q-tip
08-27-2014, 15:24
I have this pack and love it, no shoulder problems. For most folks, if they are experiencing shoulder problems it is usually because then hip belt is too big or they are wearing them pack too low on the hips. But a great suggestion for the frame.

Powder River
08-27-2014, 15:51
Heartfire, that's awesome you've made so many mods! I have to admit this is my first real pack mod. I wanted to keep the pack pristine to sell on eBay just in case the Klymit wasn't helping much. This might still happen, but what put me over the edge is that my dog chewed up the original frame sheet! So if I have to sell it I am counting on the Klymit adding to the value.

I agree on the line locks vs the straps. I really love the super skinny straps, which had me looking at the leopard over the blaze.

Chair-man
08-27-2014, 15:54
Interesting, I noticed on GG airbeam comes in three different sizes to match their packs. (http://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/backpacks/accessories/vapor-current-airbeam-frame.html) What torso length is your pack? And what size airbeam did you get?
Lets us know how you like it. I own a GG Crown 60 too so I'm interested in this. I'm happy with my pack the way it is but the airbeam is something I might try anyway.

Powder River
08-27-2014, 19:18
Size regular, for both. You can see the protrusion of the valve in this picture. The pack makes no accommodation for this at all.

Powder River
08-27-2014, 19:20
Just found this on google images. Now that is interesting. 28181

Siarl
08-27-2014, 20:30
I also purchased the GG Crown VC 60. I was interested also to hear those that have used it on the trail. I found a video on youtube demonstrating the inflatable Airbeam and in use with the VC 60. Thought you might like to see that. I found some others but none that would demonstrate actually placing the already inflated Airbeam inside the pack and dealing with the awkward nozzle. The guy in the video seemed to just fold it under as you mentioned previously and then he just zipped it closed. I think I will end up getting the Airbeam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeKZPlNE_4

Powder River
08-29-2014, 10:30
I also purchased the GG Crown VC 60. I was interested also to hear those that have used it on the trail. I found a video on youtube demonstrating the inflatable Airbeam and in use with the VC 60. Thought you might like to see that. I found some others but none that would demonstrate actually placing the already inflated Airbeam inside the pack and dealing with the awkward nozzle. The guy in the video seemed to just fold it under as you mentioned previously and then he just zipped it closed. I think I will end up getting the Airbeam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeKZPlNE_4

Yeah that's a great video. I was actually in that store in Bozeman about a month ago!

The problem with folding the nozzle over is long term fatigue. Imagine doing a thru hike with a folded over nozzle! The whole issue is just so stupid, and as it seems above they actually did have a design that fit. I just got an email back from Granite Gear and it is a pretty crappy one.

"Hi Jeff,

The VC Air Beam frame was made to fit and work with all VC packs including the Crown VC 60. When placed in the pack properly, the top of the air beam frame is tucked under the top flap of the zipper. Unfortunately with the cut that was made, GG can longer honor their warranty on the pack (warranty voided for alterations made to the pack).

In the future, or if you have further questions about the airbeam, please feel free to contact me at the number below my signature. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for choosing Granite Gear,

Keon Mostofi"

Wow, a voided warranty? Really? So when my hipbelt fails or some other part of the pack fails they will point to a slit in the frame sleeve, and say I somehow caused it. Way to stand behind your product, Granite Gear. He also seems to think I am doing it wrong. I think I will be reconsidering buying from Granite Gear again.

Powder River

Drybones
08-29-2014, 22:43
If you're carrying the weight on your shoulders you have it adjusted wrong, or the wrong size, I have the GG Crown 60 and love it but I carry all the weight on my hips.

Bird Dawg
07-13-2015, 22:10
Recently decided to purchase the Klymit Airbeam to beef up the suspension on my GG Crown VC 60. I purchased an Osprey Atmos AG 65 for my AT Thru hike next year, figuring I'd need the additional suspension to handle the 30-35 pound anticipated load. But that pack weighs almost 4.5 pounds empty - and I'm looking to shed additional weight. I've always loved the GG Crown VC but didn't think the factory suspension would do the trick for an AT thru. While tinkering with the pack today, I wondered if anyone has ever tried packing a load using both the factory suspension sheet and the Airbeam? I'm considering a trial run this week - with a cut sheet of Reflectix between the HPDE sheet and the Airbeam. I'll let you know how it goes - but was curious to see if anyone already had.

Chopper9760
11-11-2015, 13:58
...anyone has ever tried packing a load using both the factory suspension sheet and the Airbeam? I'm considering a trial run this week - with a cut sheet of Reflectix between the HPDE sheet and the Airbeam. I'll let you know how it goes - but was curious to see if anyone already had.

I've been researching the Crown V.C. lately and wondered the exact same thing. So, what's the verdict?

I've heard the HDPE frame sheet is slightly too wide for the pocket, which helps make the pack stiff, it seems like that might make using the Airbeam alongside it difficult.

Bird Dawg
11-23-2015, 15:23
Chopper, I completed a 7 day section hike from Erwin to the Mountain Harbor Hostel near Elk Park in late September / early October. My starting weight with food and water was about 38-40 pounds - depending on how much water I carried. The "reinforced" pack handled that weight very well. I put the Air Beam pad into the pack pocket first - against my back - then the Reflectix and inserted the HDPE frame sheet last. I did fold down the Air Beam nozzle. Had no problems with the nozzle or air loss from the pad. No other problems with the pack at all. Obviously - as I learned first hand - reduction of your pack weight makes all the difference in the world in terms of hike comfort. I learned there were a few items I could live without. Also learned a lot about carrying the right amount of food. But, I would recommend the GG Crown VC 60 for a thru-hike.