PDA

View Full Version : setting up tent in the rain

squeezebox
08-27-2014, 19:46
How ? What's the best procedure for setting up a tent in the rain?
I received my BA copper spur 2 yesterday, set it up in the yard, took a nap, I'm excited.
It's a palace compared to the Fly creek 1 , which feels more like a bivy. Yes it does weigh a lb more.
By the way what's the difference between packaged wt. vs. trail wt. ?
Hasn't rained here for weeks, so I set up my tent and it rains. Go figure!
And yes how to set up in the rain?
Thanks

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-27-2014, 20:33
I have the CS 1 squeezebox. I also got the footprint with the thought of leaving the fly and footprint together when I packed it up. When setting up I practice laying the tent out so that the fly covers the footprint, place my stakes to hold it down, then sliding the pole under the fly to set it up while keeping the inside dry. I then can get inside and set up the body of the tent while covered by the vestibule, again keeping the inside of the tent dry. Not as easy to do if it is very windy but I keep trying :)

mikec
08-27-2014, 21:24
I have a Seedhouse SL1. BA makes some nice tents. What I have done in the past is always carry a poncho. If it rains, stick your hiking poles into the ground, place the poncho over them, place your pack under the poncho. Then put the tent up in the rain. Finally, throw the backpack into the tent and do the rest of the setting up in the tent. You can always shake out the poncho and bring the hiking poles in after the rain stops or the next morning.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-27-2014, 21:30
I have a Seedhouse SL1. BA makes some nice tents. What I have done in the past is always carry a poncho. If it rains, stick your hiking poles into the ground, place the poncho over them, place your pack under the poncho. Then put the tent up in the rain. Finally, throw the backpack into the tent and do the rest of the setting up in the tent. You can always shake out the poncho and bring the hiking poles in after the rain stops or the next morning.

Nice idea mikec !! Sounds worthy of carrying a lightweight poncho. Between my setup and your poncho idea i might have a fighting chance of keeping things dry when things are wet :)

jjozgrunt
08-27-2014, 21:33
Ah the old setting up the tent in the rain question. The best option I have ever come up with is using an sil nylon tarp, string it up and put the tent up under it then use the tarp as an area to cook etc under. I use this when I'm traveling with family and I give the tarp to my wife to carry. Means she also has some shelter if we become separated. Comes in handy for lunch stops when it's raining as it only takes a minute or 2 to set up and pull down. Now I've reduce my solo tent from 59 to 19 oz I have the option to carry the tarp as well as it weights 14 oz.

Dogtra
08-27-2014, 21:35
Practice on rainy days. Eventually you'll get a feel for what works... and what works for you.
Have fun.

Slo-go'en
08-27-2014, 23:15
Umm, don't set it up in the rain :) More often then not, there is a lull in the rain around dinner time. Wait for it. I've spent many nights in the rain under the tent, but can't remember the last time I actually had to set it up in the rain. Got to have good timing.

Coffee
08-28-2014, 01:04
One of the reasons I really like my Hexamid is that I can set up in the rain without getting the interior or separate ground sheet wet, that is if the tent wasn't already wet from the prior night. I've been setting up in the rain a lot and usually I get just a few drops inside. My pack is sitting on the ground under the pack cover while I set up the tent. Then the pack cover comes off and the entire pack goes in the tent.

Firefighter503
08-28-2014, 07:08
I agree with Slo-go'en. I wait for a break in the weather if it looks like there is a chance, and set up then. Otherwise, I just set up the tent (Hexamid) and dry out any water on the inside as best I can (the rest runs down onto the mesh and out anyways).

daddytwosticks
08-28-2014, 07:13
When do you need a shelter? When it rains! In my opinion, if you are carrying any form of shelter that is difficult to set up in rainy weather, maybe find a different shelter system. Being able to set up/take down a shelter in rain and get in/out in the rain without soaking the insides is one of the key factors in a shelter purchase, IMHO. :)

Drybones
08-28-2014, 07:18
I carry my tent and rain gear in the back pocket of my pack so I don't have to open the pack to get it. If you're using a tent with a rain fly that goes on after the inner tent is up you're going to have water inside, you'll just have to wipe it dry once you're inside. The tent I use has the bug netting and bathtub floor attached to the tent so it can go up without getting water inside...also only has four stakes so it goes up fast.

Venchka
08-28-2014, 08:02
... The tent I use has the bug netting and bathtub floor attached to the tent so it can go up without getting water inside...also only has four stakes so it goes up fast.

The best way.

Wayne

slbirdnerd
08-28-2014, 08:12
I carry my tent and rain gear in the back pocket of my pack so I don't have to open the pack to get it. If you're using a tent with a rain fly that goes on after the inner tent is up you're going to have water inside, you'll just have to wipe it dry once you're inside. The tent I use has the bug netting and bathtub floor attached to the tent so it can go up without getting water inside...also only has four stakes so it goes up fast.

Which tent?

TheCheek
08-28-2014, 09:15
I'm kind of surprised no one has stated the obvious method of setting up a tent in the rain yet... It's pretty much exactly the same as setting up a tent in dry weather except you curse throughout the process.

saltysack
08-28-2014, 09:20
I'm kind of surprised no one has stated the obvious method of setting up a tent in the rain yet... It's pretty much exactly the same as setting up a tent in dry weather except you curse throughout the process.

Haaa or u set up in the shelter and carry out!!if is a freestanding tent that is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
08-28-2014, 09:25
For one I have all my junk in a sylny dry back so that doesnt get opened until the backpack is in the tent. Secondly I fold my tent or roll my tent for that matter, the same every time. It takes me about 1.5-3 minutes to setup my tent. Once the tent is up, the inside should still be pretty much completely dry, I get my lab situated on his side of the tent after dryin him the best I can with his dry towel. and then I use my dry towel to to dry the outside of my pack off, which since I ude a pack cover, doesnt take very long. Now that all my possessions are inside the tent, I bath a little bit and start getting bed setup. With low profile fly flaps, and some concentration to detail, I ussually can lay down completely dry when its all said and done.

I did this process at Doll Flats 2 years ago, rained like crazy all day from overmountain to Big hump and all the way to Doll Flats, great time lol

hikernutcasey
08-28-2014, 10:24
I'm kind of surprised no one has stated the obvious method of setting up a tent in the rain yet... It's pretty much exactly the same as setting up a tent in dry weather except you curse throughout the process.Exactly:D

In all seriousness though I don't really do anything different other than just try to do it quicker. I carry a small quick dry towel, the ones you can wring the water out of, so I can wipe up any water that got it before unpacking the contents of my pack. Like Gambit said it helps to have the stuff in your pack in a dry bag. I use a trash compactor bag. Works great.

Nooga
08-28-2014, 10:26
Like others, my tent is always in the top of my pack. Pull the rain cover back and remove the tent and reposition the rain cover. Pitch the tent and then dry any water from inside. Then place the pack inside the tent to unpack. This is one situation where a hammock is superior to a tent, if the tarp is separate from the hammock. You can rig the tarp and then rig the hammock underneath the tarp. The tarp provides shelter for unpacking, cooking, etc. For me cooking is problematic with my tent as I do not cook in my tent. So if it is raining, I'm pretty much limited to eating cold or uncooked food.

Venchka
08-28-2014, 10:29
Which tent?

I can't speak for Drybones, but Hilleberg & TarpTent tents set up this way. Another reason why they are at the top of my tent shopping list. Actually, they are the only tents on my Tent Wishlist.

Wayne

Kraken Skullz
08-28-2014, 11:25
Try setting it up upside down.

daddytwosticks
08-28-2014, 15:59
Which tent?

Don't know about Drybones, but I use the Tarptent Notch. Very easy to set up/take down in the rain (inner can be separated from the fly) and can get in/out without getting rain into the inner net part of the shelter. :)

Another Kevin
08-28-2014, 16:19
Don't know about Drybones, but I use the Tarptent Notch. Very easy to set up/take down in the rain (inner can be separated from the fly) and can get in/out without getting rain into the inner net part of the shelter. :)

One more vote for the Notch. Pop out the poles, pull up three stakes, pick up the free end and start stuffing or rolling. When pitching, stake down one end, unstuff or unroll, stake down the other, insert poles, stake out the sides. The mesh part of the tent is rolled up inside the rainfly and is never out in the weather. And the rainfly and floor are good enough at shedding water that a good shake gets rid of most of the wet.

After pitching, open the door on the left (which is at the head end of the tent), and put the pack on top of the pack cover in the vestibule. Close the rainfly door again, come in from the other side (leaving muddy boots in the vestibule) and I've got a nice dry place to inflate my sleeping pad, fluff up my sleeping bag, and adjust clothing. Put on water shoes and go back out in the rain to get the bearbag line up - if I haven't done that already - and I'm all set.

kayak karl
08-28-2014, 16:27
i get more miles in on rainy days. hike late, wait for lull, set up, eat that no cook meal im carrying and go to sleep.

bangorme
08-28-2014, 17:00
The LL Beans microlights need the footprint to set them up in the rain. Put the footprint down, put the poles in the grommets, put the fly over the footprint and attach poles, climb under the fly and attach the tent to the fly.

Any water in the tent is unacceptable to me. I've mopped out tents with my dirty clothes and it's no fun. Then, what do you do when it rains two or three or four days in a row? Anyway, best to practice on the lawn.

RockDoc
08-28-2014, 20:53
It's a good reason to have a tent that sets up fast, and to develop the skill to set it up real fast (like 30 seconds).
At least you can put your packs in the tent as you set it up, so your stuff doesn't get drenched.

Breaking down in the rain is more of a problem. Your pack is out in the rain while you roll up a soaking wet tent. I have just stuffed the wet tent in the pack and then pulled it out later to dry things out.

Highest priority always is keeping sleeping bags and sleeping clothes dry; you need to have strong plastic bags ready.

Another Kevin
08-28-2014, 22:14
Breaking down in the rain is more of a problem. Your pack is out in the rain while you roll up a soaking wet tent. I have just stuffed the wet tent in the pack and then pulled it out later to dry things out.

Highest priority always is keeping sleeping bags and sleeping clothes dry; you need to have strong plastic bags ready.

I pack everything but the tent before I strike the tent. The pack has a compactor bag as a liner, and I use a pack cover. Everything in the pack stays dry while I'm pulling the stakes and rolling the tent. Most of the time, the tent can go in the snow shovel pocket (the big mesh pocket on the back of the pack). Otherwise I'll shake off the wet as best I can and stuff it in the pack OUTSIDE the compactor bag.

If it stops raining by lunchtime, I may pitch it again at lunch to dry it out. If I'm not worried about getting a really taut pitch, I can do it in about thirty seconds. I can also wipe the outside with a bit of car chamois from the dollar store that serves me for a towel.

Sarcasm the elf
08-28-2014, 22:26
How do I set my tent up in the rain? Quickly, very quickly.

If I'm hiking in the rain then I'm already soaked and I'm going to get the tent a bit wet anyway. Unless it's a torrential downpour, I can get my tent setup fast enough that it's still far dryer than I am.

squeezebox
08-29-2014, 00:25
Here's what I'm thinking.
1) put together poles
2) put 4 stakes in approximate position, V section facing in so end of pole will hold in the V.
3) rain fly over poles, peg down corners temporally
4) set ground cloth , adjust peg placement
5) place tent over ground cloth under fly, square it up, poles in tent corner grommets, pull out temporary peg, put peg in tent corner strap final position.
6) install cross bar for copper spur
7) clip tent to poles
8) peg vestibules and tent ends final position.
9) adjust as neccessary
10) wipe out tent as neccessary

variation 2
put ground cloth down 1st, gives a better idea of where to put temporary pole stakes, ounce fly is up turn ground cloth over to dryer side. continue.

Yea this means putting in temporary pegs then moving them to final position, but getting the rain fly up 1st, then putting the tent up underneath in a fairly secure fashion sounds to me like the way to go.
My humble opinion
Squeezebox

jjozgrunt
08-29-2014, 07:02
I used my Zpack Hexamid Solo+ for the first time in the rain a couple of weeks ago and it is very easy to set up when raining and keep dry. Has the net and bathtub floor attached. I was in a tropical rainforest and we got about 4"in 24 hrs and stayed dry. Got water inside when I packed it up but that is just practice.

Just Bill
08-29-2014, 09:37
It's too bad all the mainstream tents have switched over to the "clip" systems. Something to consider when buying your shelter. In the sleeve style tents one of the best features was that you can leave the fly attached when packing. So for rainy setups the fly is covering the netting and preventing water from pouring in while you pitch.

Maybe if you were lucky, creative, or had the right model you could breakdown a clip style tent for quick pitch by leaving the poles intact, but I am unsure.
I always preferred the sleeve style tents for this reason, with the added bonus that they are easier to pitch in the dark. Squeezebox- sounds like your fly first idea, with practice, is likely the best choice for your model. The only drawback is frequent crawling over the netting to clip it up from low to high may wear the netting if you have to do it often.

Otherwise, the floorless/removable floor style is your only tent option short of going to a tarp style shelter.

Another Kevin
08-29-2014, 12:55
It's too bad all the mainstream tents have switched over to the "clip" systems. Something to consider when buying your shelter. In the sleeve style tents one of the best features was that you can leave the fly attached when packing. So for rainy setups the fly is covering the netting and preventing water from pouring in while you pitch.

I guess TarpTent isn't "mainstream"? But I'm not sure what you mean by "sleeve style" and "clip style" in this context.

On my Notch, the tent proper is supported by a collection of eyes that clip to snap hooks on the rainfly. There are three attachments at each end and two at the peak of the ridge, plus two Velcro loops that go around the bottoms of the poles. I can pull out the poles, remove all but one stake, stretch it out, and roll up tent and fly together, with the tent on the inside so that it stays dry. I essentially never undo the hooks and eyes unless I'm doing a fly-and-footprint pitch without the tent. That's essentially never, because there's never a time here without either wind or bugs. The inner tent is only about 50 g heavier than my bug bivy.

The possibility of pitching in the rain without getting the inner tent soaked in the process was one major selling point for me for the TarpTent over my REI tent. (The more significant point was that it was less than half the weight.)

Mobius
08-29-2014, 14:03
I believe sleeve vs clip style is a reference to how the poles/fly attach to the main body of the tent. For example, my old Eureka Timberline uses clips on the main body of the tent to hold the poles in place. The separate rain fly lays atop that. It's not really possible to erect the tent with the fly on it first to avoid soaking the non-waterproof tent body fabric. My even older (no longer existing) dome tents used sleeves that you could slide the poles into and over to the other side. In theory you could do it with the separate rain fly attached, though I could never managed it.

The Tarptents (at least the ones I'm familar with: Notch and Stratospire) don't have this problem. They can be erected in the rain from the exterior without getting the interior wet at all (and packed up the same way). Also, they don't have a separate rain fly :)

Another Kevin
08-29-2014, 14:36
The Tarptents (at least the ones I'm familar with: Notch and Stratospire) don't have this problem. They can be erected in the rain from the exterior without getting the interior wet at all (and packed up the same way). Also, they don't have a separate rain fly :)

The tent and rainfly are separate on the Notch. Either can be pitched separately (although you need extra stakes and a spreader bar to pitch the tent without the fly). But you can indeed pitch the whole thing in the rain without wetting the interior. If I'm out for a 3- or 4-day weekend, I seem always to have to pitch it or strike it at least once in the rain. :)

bangorme
08-29-2014, 15:59
I guess TarpTent isn't "mainstream"? But I'm not sure what you mean by "sleeve style" and "clip style" in this context.

On my Notch, the tent proper is supported by a collection of eyes that clip to snap hooks on the rainfly.

I like the look of that tent, but don't like the fact that you have to stake it out. Can you cook under the fly?

Another Kevin
08-29-2014, 16:16
I suppose you can cook under the fly of the Notch as much as you can under the fly of any small tent. Given how inflammable nylon is, and how clumsy I am, I generally don't dare to. (I also try to follow the rule of "don't poop where you eat, and don't sleep in either place," so I most often am cooking away from the tent anyway.

Since I got the Notch, I have discovered that I don't need a free-standing tent nearly as badly as I thought I did. Once in a while, I've needed to tie a corner out to a rock or something. No big deal. If I might have to pitch on a platform or anchor to 'dead men' in the snow, I bring some extra 325 cord. I suppose that pitching on solid rock would be a problem, but I just don't encounter that very often. And when I used a free-standing tent, I found myself staking it often, anyway, so that it wouldn't blow over if I needed to get up in the nighttime.

Coffee
08-29-2014, 16:27
I often cook in the rain by setting up my jetboil 3-4 feet outside my Hexamid to where I can reach it but fire hazard is reduced. I wouldn't dare cook inside the tent itself.

bangorme
08-29-2014, 16:35
I often cook in the rain by setting up my jetboil 3-4 feet outside my Hexamid to where I can reach it but fire hazard is reduced. I wouldn't dare cook inside the tent itself.

No, I would never cook inside a tent, but some large vestibules would be tempting in a downpour. I don't cook anyway, I boil water lol.

4Bears
08-29-2014, 19:25
I would think the LightHeart Gear tents could be set up pretty much dry as well. Kevin I agree with cooking away from the tent, maybe even a mile or 2 before you stop for the night. Always afraid of a flame near the tent.

CarlZ993
08-29-2014, 21:37
I was @ Neels Gap last year in March when the Big Agnes rep was there. He demonstrated the technique on how to put up their tents (Copperspur or Fly Creek) in the rain.

First, pack the tent body & the tent fly/fitted ground sheet separately. The tent body stays in a stuff sack inside your pack's pack liner (always dry). The tent fly & fitted ground sheet (often wet) stays above the pack liner toward the top. The pole stuff sack w/ stakes stays outside the pack in the wand pocket.

At camp, assemble the poles first. Then, quickly lay down the ground sheet w/ the tent fly over it. Stake the corners of the ground sheet. Attach the fly to the ground sheet at one end. Insert the poles into the corner grommets and erect the tent in fast pitch mode. Bring your pack inside the tent (where it's dry) and take out your tent body from the pack. Attach the corners of the tent body at one end and begin clipping the tent body to the poles. Work your way throughout the entire tent (it will get a little cramped; but, you're dry while you do it).

If it is still wet/raining in the morning, just reverse the sequence. Your tent body stays dry & remains so in your park. The wet stuff stays wet & separated from the dry stuff.

Drybones
08-29-2014, 22:00
Which tent?

Tarptent Notch...having the proper pack to accomplish what you want also helps.

Drybones
08-29-2014, 22:07
I like the look of that tent, but don't like the fact that you have to stake it out. Can you cook under the fly?

I cook under the fly...I always stake free standing tents anyway so staking is not an issue for me, like the fact it goes up about 5 times faster also...I've never had a case where I needed a free standing tent.

Drybones
08-29-2014, 22:12

If I'm hiking in the rain then I'm already soaked and I'm going to get the tent a bit wet anyway. Unless it's a torrential downpour, I can get my tent setup fast enough that it's still far dryer than I am.

Being wet, especially your bag, makes for a bad night in cold temps...or warm for that matter.

captike
08-29-2014, 22:35
By the way what's the difference between packaged wt. vs. trail wt. ?

Thanks
I don't think anyone answered this. If they did I missed it. Here ya go. From BA's website:

- Packed weight: This is the heaviest you can expect your tent to weigh, straight out of the box or from the store. This weight refers to all packaging, hang tags, as well as the stuff sacks, fly, body, stakes, poles, and guy lines.

- Trail weight: This is the lightest you can expect your tent to weigh, stripped of everything but the essentials. This number reflects the weight of just the fly (no guy lines), body, and poles.

- Fast-fly weight: This is the weight of your fly, footprint and poleset only.

Speakeasy TN
08-31-2014, 09:19
Haaa or u set up in the shelter and carry out!!if is a freestanding tent that is!!

+1
Helps avoid Trail Induced Tourette's Syndrome (TITS)

Bronk
08-31-2014, 10:10
If you have a freestanding tent practice setting it up upside down. Once you have it put together flip it over and quickly attach the rainfly and stake it out.

RangerZ
08-31-2014, 10:51
I was @ Neels Gap last year in March when the Big Agnes rep was there. He demonstrated the technique on how to put up their tents (Copperspur or Fly Creek) in the rain.

First, pack the tent body & the tent fly/fitted ground sheet separately. The tent body stays in a stuff sack inside your pack's pack liner (always dry). The tent fly & fitted ground sheet (often wet) stays above the pack liner toward the top. The pole stuff sack w/ stakes stays outside the pack in the wand pocket.

At camp, assemble the poles first. Then, quickly lay down the ground sheet w/ the tent fly over it. Stake the corners of the ground sheet. Attach the fly to the ground sheet at one end. Insert the poles into the corner grommets and erect the tent in fast pitch mode. Bring your pack inside the tent (where it's dry) and take out your tent body from the pack. Attach the corners of the tent body at one end and begin clipping the tent body to the poles. Work your way throughout the entire tent (it will get a little cramped; but, you're dry while you do it).

If it is still wet/raining in the morning, just reverse the sequence. Your tent body stays dry & remains so in your park. The wet stuff stays wet & separated from the dry stuff.

I basically did this this weekend. It wasn't raining Friday night but I had packed the foortprint an fly attached together. I didn't stake down the fly because its more fun when you miss the grommet and the pole springs away. I also have problems getting the poles the right way around the first try, despite the color coding. Pop the poles up and then clip the tent underneath.

Staked it out carefully last night because of the promise of rain. 0415 it started and we've got over an inch since then. I took the tent down under the fly and got it packed away dry. The fly was wet and the footprint mostly dry. They and the poles/stakes went in an outside pocket. I hightailed it out of there during a lull in the rain.

My pack sits under my tyvek doormat during the whole process.

My basement now looks like a used gear sale with stuff hanging up drying and airing.

saltysack
08-31-2014, 11:06
Will be buying LHG solong 6....any users comment on setting up in rain??

RangerZ
08-31-2014, 11:51
I basically did this this weekend. It wasn't raining Friday night but I had packed the foortprint an fly attached together. I didn't stake down the fly because its more fun when you miss the grommet and the pole springs away. I also have problems getting the poles the right way around the first try, despite the color coding. Pop the poles up and then clip the tent underneath.

Staked it out carefully last night because of the promise of rain. 0415 it started and we've got over an inch since then. I took the tent down under the fly and got it packed away dry. The fly was wet and the footprint mostly dry. They and the poles/stakes went in an outside pocket. I hightailed it out of there during a lull in the rain.

My pack sits under my tyvek doormat during the whole process.

My basement now looks like a used gear sale with stuff hanging up drying and airing.

This was my Big Agnes Copper Spur 1

Del Q
08-31-2014, 19:58
So Long 6 (or other tents I have used), pack them assuming that it will be pouring. As for the LHG So Long, I put my pack up against a tree or on a branch with pack cover on, get under the tent, Put the tent up with two hiking poles, take plenty of time (rain gear on), to stake out tent, then put pack in after putting pack cover in the vestibule, same with rain gear. Get in tent, use pack towel to wipe down tent, start your night up.

squeezebox
09-01-2014, 03:42
Just thinking! Put up tent in fast pitch mode, as others have mentioned. Put pack and tent body in dry corner. Then fix supper under the better ventilated fly only set up. After supper finish setting up tent body.

rocketsocks
09-01-2014, 06:01
Bring dry clothes...el solvos problamo.

Sarcasm the elf
09-01-2014, 09:12

Being wet, especially your bag, makes for a bad night in cold temps...or warm for that matter.

My sleeping bag doesn't get wet, it stays in a dry sack until I'm ready to take it out and use it. I set up my tent very quickly, wipe off the the tent floor and my ground pad and go about my business.

CalebJ
09-01-2014, 09:46
Same here. Just set up the tent quickly, then put your gear inside. Anything that needs to stay dry should have been packed that way (particularly the sleeping bag). No big deal.

rocketsocks
09-01-2014, 11:20
Now try packing up in the rain...completely different set of rules apply. :D

lemon b
09-01-2014, 15:22
Always try and wait for lull in the rain. Practice, practice..... Main worry is keeping my bag and pad dry. As of late have been considering Cuban Fiber type shelter because I've heard from the younger generation they dry quicker and that a quick wipe down of the inside in wet weather actually works.

Drybones
09-01-2014, 16:46
Now try packing up in the rain...completely different set of rules apply. :D

Breaking camp in the rain is not an issue for me, everything is inside the tent, pack is hanging on one of the hiking poles used to support the tent, I pack everything into the pack except tent and ground cloth and close it up, then put on the rain jacket or poncho and go outside and roll up the tent and ground cloth and put them in the packs back pocket and I'm on my way.

rocketsocks
09-01-2014, 16:53
Breaking camp in the rain is not an issue for me, everything is inside the tent, pack is hanging on one of the hiking poles used to support the tent, I pack everything into the pack except tent and ground cloth and close it up, then put on the rain jacket or poncho and go outside and roll up the tent and ground cloth and put them in the packs back pocket and I'm on my way.
Same, if the tent is all wet, no since packing it away neat, cause at the first chance of good weather (not raining) and a break, it's coming out the dry or pitch at the end of the day...which ever comes first.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-02-2014, 13:44

Pretty much the way I figured out how to do on my own. I place the grommets for the tent body under the ones for the footprint so I can release the body and pack it first while still under the fly. Of course it is so light that it is tricky when it is windy when you are trying to get it up.

RangerZ
09-02-2014, 14:56
Pretty much the way I figured out how to do on my own. I place the grommets for the tent body under the ones for the footprint so I can release the body and pack it first while still under the fly. Of course it is so light that it is tricky when it is windy when you are trying to get it up.

"I place the grommets for the tent body under the ones for the footprint so I can release the body and pack it first while still under the fly."

Learned that lesson also.

LittleRock
09-02-2014, 14:56
My solution: suck it up and hike on to the next shelter. :-)

4Bears
09-02-2014, 17:55
Want to practice setting up in the rain and no rain in sight?? Set up a couple sprinklers in the yard and go at it.

rocketsocks
09-02-2014, 18:49
...and if ya wanna practice in a all out blizzard, I'll bring my snow blower over. :D

4Bears
09-02-2014, 23:51
...and if ya wanna practice in a all out blizzard, I'll bring my snow blower over. :D
HEHEHE.... Rolling on the floor laughing at that one Rocketsocks, best post thus far on the thread. :banana:clap

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 00:08
HEHEHE.... Rolling on the floor laughing at that one Rocketsocks, best post thus far on the thread. :banana:clap
That'd make a funny you tube video, my buddy has a snow blower that would flat out level a tent and leave a igloo. :D

4Bears
09-03-2014, 09:43
That is a video I would definitely watch.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-03-2014, 11:33
Hey wonder if they will let me try to set mine up here on the ski slopes while the snow makers are going!?!

Namtrag
09-03-2014, 12:59
Nothing humorous to add, just wanted to say, I love my Tarptent SS2 in the rain. We just put down the ground sheet, roll the tent out, stake the corners, and then put the trekking poles in to form the vestibules. A few more stakes put in place to hold things tight and...voila. Since their is no separate fly, we are done pitching and can crawl in the vestibule to unload our backpacks.

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 19:34
Nothing humorous to add, just wanted to say, I love my Tarptent SS2 in the rain. We just put down the ground sheet, roll the tent out, stake the corners, and then put the trekking poles in to form the vestibules. A few more stakes put in place to hold things tight and...voila. Since their is no separate fly, we are done pitching and can crawl in the vestibule to unload our backpacks.you bring a great point to the thread, a single wall tent or tarp is about about as fast a pitch that can happen...good one!

McPick
09-03-2014, 23:23
Nope... I think you could all take a lesson from the '06 Lady Brits, Sees Bears Everywhere and Sun Worshiper. During a particularly heavy downpour, they ran into a somewhat crowded shelter. After reconnoitering for several minutes, they chose their nearby tent spot. Next they unpacked their tent and asked everyone to move to the interior perimeter of the shelter. They opened their tent. (I felt like Anne Heche being pressed against the interior of the airplane when she popped the life raft in "6 Days 7 Nights.") Once the tent was ready, they stood inside it (entrance down) and shuffled over to their spot. A quick bend over to place it and they disappeared inside. I can't remember about the fly, but I'll never forget the ingenuity!

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 23:44
Nope... I think you could all take a lesson from the '06 Lady Brits, Sees Bears Everywhere and Sun Worshiper. During a particularly heavy downpour, they ran into a somewhat crowded shelter. After reconnoitering for several minutes, they chose their nearby tent spot. Next they unpacked their tent and asked everyone to move to the interior perimeter of the shelter. They opened their tent. (I felt like Anne Heche being pressed against the interior of the airplane when she popped the life raft in "6 Days 7 Nights.") Once the tent was ready, they stood inside it (entrance down) and shuffled over to their spot. A quick bend over to place it and they disappeared inside. I can't remember about the fly, but I'll never forget the ingenuity!
Purty slick...way to think outside the box.

LOMartin
09-04-2014, 00:19
Currently not able to sleep on Springer Mountian with the crazy rain that's been affecting the area the past few days.

I knew it was going to pour by the time I would be setting up camp and placed my tent (heximed duplex) on the exterior mesh pocket of my pack (arc blast). With pack cover over everything.

Having the the girlfriend and the tent being single wall was a great help. Lay out tent, stake, trekking poles, throw packs in vestibule. Get under vestibule strip wet clothes off and slide into the tent. From here organize gear and eat.

Having the the tent outside your pack and ready is key.

Rocket Jones
09-04-2014, 05:47
Having the the girlfriend and the tent being single wall was a great help.

Your girlfriend is single wall? ;)

ShaneP
09-04-2014, 16:09
Definitely one of the advantages of using a hammock system.

I keep my tarp handy in the outside mesh back pocket of my pack where it can go wet. It sets up first, then I have a large dry area to set everything else up under. Everything inside the pack comes out dry and goes back in dry. Last thing put away in the morning is the tarp.

BuckeyeBill
09-06-2014, 00:15

I keep my tarp handy in the outside mesh back pocket of my pack where it can go wet. It sets up first, then I have a large dry area to set everything else up under. Everything inside the pack comes out dry and goes back in dry. Last thing put away in the morning is the tarp.

+1 I do the same thing.

bangorme
09-06-2014, 00:24

A couple things. How is the hammock system in the driving rain? Especially, like what happened to me a couple weeks ago, where I went to bed admiring the stars and woke up at 3:30 in a driving rainstorm. Second, what advantage does it have (rainwise) to just setting up the fly then the tent from inside the fly.

One thing I do like about hammock systems is that the tarp can definitely be cooked under in the rain.

Theosus
09-07-2014, 20:37
I've never sat my hammock up in a rain, but I've sure spent the night under it in a storm, and packed up in the rain. The nice thing about the hammock tarp is it can go up first and last, allowing you time to get the rest set up and taken down. My tarp is pre-rigged with a ridge line right at the top of the stuff sack. I hook up the tree straps (the tarp has its own - i found this faster and easier than knots), run out the lines, pull the tarp out of the sack, and open it up. Four stake out points and I'm done.
If the rain is really hard, you may have to get out and pull the sides in to help make sure you don't get wet. I've been wet at my feet twice, but that was with my small tarp. Since I moved up to the bigger Hex version, I haven't had an issue. Plus, in a hammock you're right under the trees, not out in the open. I've found that helps mitigate some of the sideways rain, while adding to the thrill that you are tying yourself between two lightning rods.

bangorme
09-07-2014, 23:57
Plus, in a hammock you're right under the trees, not out in the open. I've found that helps mitigate some of the sideways rain, while adding to the thrill that you are tying yourself between two lightning rods.

Well, at least in a hammock you'll put on quite a light show if one of the trees is hit. Of course, I know cows are killed every year standing around trees that are hit, and I have yet to tent away from a tree of some sort. So, I guess we all take that chance lol.

ChuckT
09-08-2014, 05:15
"tying yourself between two lightning rods" Ain't life fun?

SouthMark
09-08-2014, 08:31
I have set up my hammock in the driving rain and was dry in my dry clothes in minutes while my tenting companions were still struggling to gat the rain fly on there tent that was getting soaked inside. I was also sitting in dry comfort cooking while they stuck their heads out of the tent and asked if they could come get under my rain fly and cook. I do not want to convert anyone to hammock camping! I have been doing this stuff for about 37 years and the first 29 were in a tent so I have experience in both. I wish that I had discovered hammock camping a lot sooner. For me it has been so much more comfortable not just in sleeping but in living in camp. I carry my rain fly in an outside pocket and can reach back and remove it to pitch with my backpack and rain gear still on. It only takes a couple of minutes to pitch and then I have a shelter to get under to remove rain gear and pack. And those "lightning rods" that I have been tied to would have fried those tent dwellers that had their tents pitched over those root systems.

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 10:18
And those "lightning rods" that I have been tied to would have fried those tent dwellers that had their tents pitched over those root systems.
You make an interesting point.

...if a hammock hanger is attached to two trees an suspended off the ground are they then not in affect part of the system if the tree gets hit by lightening...like a bird on a wire immune from it's effects?

daddytwosticks
09-08-2014, 15:57
^^^ Sounds like a Mythbusters episode! :)

rocketsocks
09-08-2014, 16:36
^^^ Sounds like a Mythbusters episode! :)
What brave Hammock Hanger wants to play Jamie? I mean Ben Franklin...I'd do it but I'm a confirmed ground hound :D

cknight
09-10-2014, 19:50
set your tent up under your tarp

bangorme
09-10-2014, 20:05
You make an interesting point.

...if a hammock hanger is attached to two trees an suspended off the ground are they then not in affect part of the system if the tree gets hit by lightening...like a bird on a wire immune from it's effects?

I thought about that, but then remembered a story a few years ago when lightning struck a tree near a porch and people died on the porch, soooooo, being that close I'm suspecting that either you'd be fried by electricity or heat, or both.

rocketsocks
09-10-2014, 21:15
I thought about that, but then remembered a story a few years ago when lightning struck a tree near a porch and people died on the porch, soooooo, being that close I'm suspecting that either you'd be fried by electricity or heat, or both.
I think your right, the distance to the ground would have to be greater than say hammock height...but I really don't know, just a thought that crossed my mind as well.

Affirmative
09-10-2014, 22:24
I've never set up a tent while raining. If your setting up a tent in a downpour, you're doing it wrong

rocketsocks
09-11-2014, 05:02
I've never set up a tent while raining. If your setting up a tent in a downpour, you're doing it wrong

Lots of wisdom in this statement.

rocketsocks
09-11-2014, 05:04
Like the old adage..."if you don't like the weather, wait, it'll change"

Del Q
09-11-2014, 20:49
Affirmative, will chide in here..................see that you are from CA

I spent 6 days in Vermont on a fall section hike, rained almost the whole time, one 20 minute view.................no option but to setup in the rain. Top of Killington was a mess, no way I was staying in that shelter, the mice were sitting there looking at us betting on who had the best food.

Honestly, setting up the rain is a good thing, set down pack, setup tent nice and tight, throw gear inside, shed rain gear, leave nasty shoes outside, get settled in.

A bit of whiskey adds great value to the equation.

Eat, get your gear settled in, inflate pad, get into bag..............check maps, cell, etc, etc.

Hang food??

Drybones
09-11-2014, 21:03

Rather than set up in the rain I'd hike a log way, and have, to find a shelter when it's down pouring. Not only do you need to bed down but you need to cook as well.