PDA

View Full Version : From the big K

PushingDaisies
01-15-2003, 23:03
So many are wondering how to get to Springer, but what about Katahdin?

How did you all get from Katahdin after a thru hike?

Trail Yeti
01-16-2003, 00:01
To get home after summiting I caught a ride w/a Thru-hiker (thanks again Pickle and Spiz) out to Monson. We walked to a hotel, got a room and the next day took a cab to the bus stop and took a bus to Bangor. From there we went to a hotel that had shuttle service to the airport and flew home.
It would have been about a 2 mile walk to the hotel (not like that was a big deal) but some nice guy gave us a ride in his truck.

Peaks
01-16-2003, 09:04
I basically followed the suggestions given in Wingfoot's book. I asked another hiker in the parking lot at Katahdin Stream Campground for a ride into Millinocket. (There's basically only one road and it only goes one place). The next day, I got on the bus in Medway, a suburb of Millinocket, and took the ride south. It was a very easy ride. Bus only stopped once before chaning busses in Augusta. About 2 stops before Boston. The sad thing that the bus covered the mileage I had done in 6 weeks in 6 hours.

Team GAK
01-16-2003, 11:42
We used the Companion and ended up with a plan to hitch to Millinocket then bus home or bus to an airport and rent a car. But our plan was somewhat altered - you see we finished on 9/11/01.
The most wonderful people picked us up on the road out of Baxter and took us right to the airport in Bangor. We were able to rent a car and drive home that night. We dropped the car off the next day at an airport near where we live.

Footslogger
01-16-2003, 12:42
We got lucky, I guess you could say. When we came down off Katahdin there were a lot of hikers standing around at the campground. We asked around and a couple hikers mentioned that Keith (yound Keith) Shaw was coming to pick them up and drive them back to Monson. Just then Keith pulled up in his pick-em-up truck. He recognized us and asked where we were headed. We said "Millinocket" and he said "jump in". Only way to Monson was through Millinocket so it wasn't out of his way. He stopped at a street corner outside our hotel and we hopped out. After a great meal and good night's sleep we caught a ride to Bangor and flew out from there.
Granted, we hit it just right but it seemed like there were a number of hikers waiting on rides and tourists with cars there at the campground. I'm pretty sure that we could have gotten a ride from someone if Keith hadn't come along.

Peaks
01-16-2003, 17:51
It seems that at the end of the day there are always hikers going to town from Katahdin Stream Campground, so it usually isn't a problem to bum a ride.

Hikerhead
02-23-2003, 19:24
I'm checking to find someone to shuttle me from Baxter to Monson. The plan would be to leave my car at Baxter and have a shuttle drive me back to Monson where I would hike back to my car.

Will Baxter allow me to leave my car at the park?

I see a Keith Shaw mentioned in the companion. Does anyone have an email address for him?

Is there anyone else that provides shuttles up in this area?

Thanks.

Footslogger
02-23-2003, 19:37
I think your best bet would be to just drop a nickel and call Keith Shaw direclty. Could be wrong but I seriously doubt that he or his son Keith have e-mail.
The number is 207/997-3597

Hikerhead
02-23-2003, 19:47
Thanks Footslogger, I'll do that.