PDA

View Full Version : AT vs. BMT

Mike73
08-28-2014, 08:23
After asking for suggestions on a 7 day hike on the AT possibly through the GSMNP someone suggested the Benton Mackaye trail. I really like the idea except for one major draw back. Looking at the map and judging by the fact that the BMT runs along waterways it looks to me it is more of a lowland trail. Is this correct? I like the idea of the views from the AT. So what kind of views can be expected from the BMT? I have seen pics and it looks like some beautiful scenery but not the high views I was expecting. Along the same lines, can I expect a less strenuous hike on the BMT?

full conditions
08-28-2014, 08:44
Mostly true with regard to your points about the BMT being a lowland trail along or across waterways with the exception of the northernmost end where you climb to some very lofty ridges and summits including mount sterling - so, the ecological and topographical variation is really much greater than you might have guessed. You might also want to consider a combo of the two trails - perhaps starting on the AT out of Fontana and dropping down Hazel Creek to the BMT or some other combination.

Gambit McCrae
08-28-2014, 08:48
This is my experience on both:

The AT: I have done 300 miles of the AT: You get some views, alot of climbing, shelters, some times of the year LOTS of people
BMT: I have done about 75 miles of the BMT: I have seen noone else outside of my party, dont remember but one view, It is most definately not ALL lowland as it goes thru the smokies and thru the frog wilderness.

I personally love the AT, Its just a personal choice, I love the town culture, the views, gaps, balds etc I enjoy talking to new people and completing states. I feel that the AT is more seasoned and has adapted its charactor and legends.

Gambit McCrae
08-28-2014, 08:48
Mostly true with regard to your points about the BMT being a lowland trail along or across waterways with the exception of the northernmost end where you climb to some very lofty ridges and summits including mount sterling - so, the ecological and topographical variation is really much greater than you might have guessed. You might also want to consider a combo of the two trails - perhaps starting on the AT out of Fontana and dropping down Hazel Creek to the BMT or some other combination.

This Loop idea sounds nice!

madgoat
08-28-2014, 08:57
I have hiked all of the BMT in the park, and all of the AT in the park. Not as a thru-hike, but different sections at different times. In my opinion, I would prefer to do the AT through the park, even though you are forced to stay in shelters. You will not get the scenic views along the BMT that you will get on the AT.

For comparison, I have attached a rough elevation profile for each. The AT runs some 70 miles thorugh the park with +25,759 feet of elevation gain and 25,651 feet of elevation loss. The BMT runs close to 100 miles through the park with 36,190 feet of elevation gain and 36,435 feel of elevation loss. (both elevation profiles run west to east).

AT elevation profile is first, BMT is second.

madgoat
08-28-2014, 09:05
If you are thinking of doing a loop that combines parts of the AT and the BMT, I would consider starting at Newfound Gap and hiking East on the AT, drop down to the BMT via Sweat Heifer Creek, Grassy Branch, Dry Sluice Gap, and Bradly Creek. Then hike the BMT east all the way to Big Creek ranger station. Then hike up Chestnut Branch and hike back on the AT. Be sure to take the 0.6 mile side trail for Mt. Cammerer on your way back, and consider taking the Boulevard trail out to Mt. Le Conte and spending your last night at the shelter there. That would be a really nice trip, and one I would look forward to doing because it has many trails along it that I want to hike again.

HooKooDooKu
08-28-2014, 13:20
Suggested AT/BMT Loop.
Starting from Fontana, follow BMT until you get to the Tunnel at the end of LakeView Drive.
Backtrack to WhiteOak Branch and make your way up the mountain via Forney Creek Trail.
Where Forney Creek meets Forney Ridge, turn right and make the 3/4 mile side trip to Andrews Bald.
U-Turn and head upto Clingman's Dome Parking Lot (possible location for 3rd party resupply point) and on to Clingman's Dome.
Follow the AT back to Fontana.

The exact same loop and variations of it could start from Clingman's Dome Parking Lot or the end of LakeView Drive (Road to NoWhere).

Highlights would include:
Fontana Dam
Road To Nowhere Tunnel
Forney Creek (some of the deepest unbrideged water crossings)
Views from Andrews Bald
Views from Clingman's Dome
(Some) views along the AT (especially between Clingman's Dome and Double Spring Gap)
Views from Thunderhead/RockyTop
Shuckstack Fire Tower.

Depending upon your abilities, another good side trail along this loop would be a hike from Doe Knob out to Gregory Bald (360º views)

Another modification would be to substitute Hazel Creek, Cold Spring Gap, and Bear Creek for a section of the BMT.
This would allow access to Bone Valley (location of the most remote house in GSMNP) and views from High Rocks.

You could minimize the number of shelters you stay at along the AT with...
A 3 mile side trip to campsite #26 (long distance but not too much elevation change)
Side trip to Gregory Bald staying at campsite #13 (assuming the park will ever reopen the site from bear activity... it's been closed pretty much all summer).

HooKooDooKu
08-28-2014, 16:28
We plan to go mid-summer so heat I'm sure will be a factor. Still undecided on AT or BMT or a combination thereof.
This is a quote from the OPs Average Miles (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?106009-Average-miles) thread. Since that question is posed in the "Strait Forward" section (where we're not supposed to go off topic) I'm going to answer it here since the two questions are obviously related (as far as the OP is concerned).

Summer time in GSMNP means that the heat and bugs are going to suck in the valleys, while haze can ruin views on the mountains.

As an example of the views, check out one of the GSMNP web cam's archive (http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmcam/grsm_arc.cfm) for July 20, 2011. At times, the haze can limit visibility to as little as 5 miles. Rains and wind can clear some of the haze to make for some good summer views. But it's totally hit-or-miss. If you want to go to GSMNP for great mountain views, you need to plan your trip for Spring or Fall.

But at the same time, hiking at elevations above 5,000' in the summer is more pleasant making for cooler weather and fewer bugs. Trips I've taken these last two months staying at higher elevations have averaged temperatures in the mid 60's (day and night)... however, this has been a relatively cool summer.

So if your big hike that you're planning and preparing now that isn't going to happen for two more years, then I would suggest...

...hey, wait a minute... you're in Leitchfield, KY. That's, on average, only about 6 hours from GSMNP... same thing as me coming out of Birmingham, AL.
Quit trying to plan a 7 day hike in GSMNP today and instead take several 3-day trips NOW and over the next year and get a feel for what you would really like to see.

All you have to do is when you have a three day weekend, get all your packing done by Thursday night (assuming the 3rd day is Monday). Hit the sack early on Friday (no later than 9pm). Wake about 3am, shower and get dressed and head to GSMNP. So long as you don't make the 1st day's hike a 12 miler, you'll have plenty of time to drive to GSMNP, and hike to the 1st day's campsite. Rise with the sun, and you'll have plenty of time to hike out the last day and still drive home.

So at this point, what we really need to do is start planning your 1st three-day practice hike in GSMNP. If you've got the necessary gear, we can start planning for as early as this weekend.

rmitchell
08-31-2014, 15:56
Madgoat
Thanks for the BMT profile. Makes the Virginia rollercoaster look tame.

madgoat
08-31-2014, 19:48
rmitchell

your welcome. i generated that profile using an old version of TOPO that i bought from the Sugarlands Visitors Center several years ago. the mileages and elevations are a close approximation, since they were generated by auto tracing the trail. but I have found that they are close enough for my purposes.