PDA

View Full Version : First Try at A T Trail Running – Dickey Gap to Atkins

kolokolo
08-28-2014, 17:47
Hi WBers,

I have been intrigued for a long time with the idea of trail running, but except for short bursts on the AT, I have pretty much just walked the trail. I’m a section hiker, and now I have a 26 mile gap (Dickey Gap to Atkins) between two sections that I am thinking about tackling at a higher speed. It looks like this section is relatively flat, but I guess I would be most concerned if it were really rocky.

Any trail runners out there who have run this section? What would your advice be? (BTW, I have run a couple of marathons, a number of half marathons, and have hiked over 30 miles in a day on the AT a number of times).

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Lone Wolf
08-28-2014, 18:14
run anything flat and downhill. walk the steeper uphills.

Just Bill
08-29-2014, 10:16
(BTW, I have run a couple of marathons, a number of half marathons, and have hiked over 30 miles in a day on the AT a number of times).

Sounds like you got it covered really. I don't recall that exact section but most of the southern AT is quite "runnable" to use running terminology.
I'm not a runner, but hitting those trails it's easy to understand why trail running is becoming so popular. Compared to the rails to trails and pavement pounding us Midwesterner's do, you'll find it pretty pleasant. The footing may be a bit trickier than you are used to, but just slow your pace accordingly and you'll have no troubles.

Otherwise, Pappy's advice is quite sound.

John B
08-29-2014, 10:26
Don't run a daisy-cutter style -- pay attention and get your feet up unless you want to face plant; get used to lowering hands on downhills for better control; get used to shorter strides lifting feet higher on steep ascents; think about what calories you'll need -- you may want to carry a calorie-dense lightweight meal; if hauling water, you may want to consider mixing in Emergen-C or other electrolyte replacements; be patient and chose your battles. Most importantly -- learn to embrace the fatigue and enjoy it.