PDA

View Full Version : bear encounter in georgia

blue indian
08-29-2014, 00:52
Was hiking north of neels gap today and saw 2 bears. First encounter was cool. Saw a juvenile about 70-80 lbs on the back side of levelland mountain. I heard something else behind the little guy but never saw it It sounded much larger though.

Second encounter is really why I made this post. I was eating lunch on wolf laurel top and had 200 pounder come up the side of the mountain about 50 feet in front of me. This bear made me nervous. He didn't want to leave. I hollered at him and he just kinda sombered off into the brush but never left. I could hear him causing a ruckus and vocalizing close by for about ten minutes before I decided it was time to leave.

Upon my return to neels gap I apparently was not the only person to have an uncomfortable encounter with this bear. 2 other hikers had similar stories within the last couple of days. One of them had their food taken.

So for those of you going thru this section over labor day be wary

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2014, 07:38
Was hiking north of neels gap today and saw 2 bears. First encounter was cool. Saw a juvenile about 70-80 lbs on the back side of levelland mountain. I heard something else behind the little guy but never saw it It sounded much larger though.

Second encounter is really why I made this post. I was eating lunch on wolf laurel top and had 200 pounder come up the side of the mountain about 50 feet in front of me. This bear made me nervous. He didn't want to leave. I hollered at him and he just kinda sombered off into the brush but never left. I could hear him causing a ruckus and vocalizing close by for about ten minutes before I decided it was time to leave.

Upon my return to neels gap I apparently was not the only person to have an uncomfortable encounter with this bear. 2 other hikers had similar stories within the last couple of days. One of them had their food taken.

How was their food taken away?

illabelle
08-29-2014, 09:35
Thank you for this information. We are headed there tonight and will guard our food carefully.

blue indian
08-29-2014, 10:10
She hung her food up in a tree. The bear climbed the tree and grabbed it

Lone Wolf
08-29-2014, 11:49
99% of folks who hang food do it wrong

No Directions
08-29-2014, 18:24
Why don't you tell us what we are doing wrong? Contribute something instead of criticizing.

swisscross
08-29-2014, 19:33
Hanging a food bag is simple except in the applachalans. Most places the trees are so dense it is impossible to find trees far enough apart, with limbs high enough and correct diameter for hanging.

Much easier in the winter when never an issue with bears.

Personally don't like sleeping with my food but in most locations it is the best option.

10-K
08-29-2014, 20:05

I'm pretty sure everyone I've met who has had food taken hung it. Controversial topic. Like treating water. :)

Lone Wolf
08-29-2014, 20:10
Why don't you tell us what we are doing wrong? Contribute something instead of criticizing.sleep with your food

Lone Wolf
08-29-2014, 20:13
sleep with your food

and no directions, i wasn't criticizing. just stating a fact

MuddyWaters
08-30-2014, 09:42
I'm pretty sure everyone I've met who has had food taken hung it. Controversial topic. Like treating water. :)

And by definition almost, everyone that hung it and had it taken, hung it wrong. What LW said is correct, most AT hikers are largely ignorant of how to hang, or just lazy. Good limbs arent common. Especially on steep slopes, so people settle for whatever.

BuckeyeBill
08-30-2014, 14:53
No Direction

While we can't tell you what you did wrong without seeing how you hung your bag, This video will teach you two ways of the PCT Method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE) to hanging your food bag.

CarlZ993
08-30-2014, 15:23
No Direction

While we can't tell you what you did wrong without seeing how you hung your bag, This video will teach you two ways of the PCT Method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE) to hanging your food bag.

The PCT method is probably the 'best' method to hang your food. This video shows an alternative method of the PCT hang when 'the perfect limb' can't be found. Even a 'perfect limb' and a 'perfect hang' can be defeated if the bear is persistent enough. A Ranger in Kings Canyon Nat'l Park observed a perfect hang go for naught when the bear chewed the limb for over an hour until he was able to break it & get the food. This was when bear canisters were 'recommended' but not required.

I don't know the percentages of people who incorrectly hang their food bag. But, when bears begin to few backpackers as their equivalent of a Domino's Pizza delivery guy, say 'Hello' to mandatory Bear Canister requirements.

Sarcasm the elf
08-30-2014, 16:21

Honest question, is bear hunting legal in this particular area? Just curious.

Another Kevin
08-30-2014, 16:22
The PCT method is probably the 'best' method to hang your food. This video shows an alternative method of the PCT hang when 'the perfect limb' can't be found.

Uhm, what video? Did you mean to include a video?

For those that don't use canisters (required in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness in the Adirondacks, recommended everywhere else in NY State), New York recommends throwing your line over branches on two trees, and hanging the bag 6 feet below the line (and at least 10 feet from the ground) midway between the trees. (I still use PCT method.)

Sarcasm the elf
08-30-2014, 16:37
No Direction

Uhm, what video? Did you mean to include a video?

For those that don't use canisters (required in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness in the Adirondacks, recommended everywhere else in NY State), New York recommends throwing your line over branches on two trees, and hanging the bag 6 feet below the line (and at least 10 feet from the ground) midway between the trees. (I still use PCT method.)

Kev, he was referring to the hyperlink that Buckeyebill inserted.

Another Kevin
08-30-2014, 16:55
OK, found it by another means.

The one thing that the videos don't mention is what to do with the excess line. Make a coil of it, and secure the coil with a slip knot. Just let go, and the line gets hoisted off the ground so there's nothing at ground level. In the morning, fish the line down with a trekking pole.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5347/10282471433_6c1264261f_z.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10282471433/)
Kevin's pantry (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10282471433/) by ke9tv (https://www.flickr.com/people/ke9tv/), on Flickr

No Directions
08-30-2014, 18:21
No Direction

I have not had any problems thank you.

Del Q
08-30-2014, 19:21
My issue with sleeping with my food is that I might eat it!

As much as I want to bear proof my food by hanging, I also want to keep at bay skunks and other hungry, curious critters.

Biggie Master
08-30-2014, 19:41
I must be doing something wrong... I've hung my food from tree limbs. I've hung food from the cable devices... I've slept with my food in the tent... But I've never had a bear get my food. So, my food must really suck!

FatMan
08-30-2014, 21:03
Honest question, is bear hunting legal in this particular area? Just curious.Yes, season begins in October.

bamboo bob
08-31-2014, 08:44
I don't always hang my food but when I do I use the PCT method.
I should add that I never saw the PCT method used on the PCT. Most PCT hikers use the in the tent method.

juma
08-31-2014, 18:20
I think its handy to carry a stun grenade to heave in the bear's direction when you see one and it doesn't beat feet at the sound of your voice. If you can't get a stun grenade, the "sonic boom" six pack available in your finer south carolina fireworks stores will do the job. the pct method is mainly a great way to take up a few hours of time before it gets dark.

swisscross
08-31-2014, 20:17
I think its handy to carry a stun grenade to heave in the bear's direction when you see one and it doesn't beat feet at the sound of your voice. If you can't get a stun grenade, the "sonic boom" six pack available in your finer south carolina fireworks stores will do the job. the pct method is mainly a great way to take up a few hours of time before it gets dark.

Are you serious?

juma
09-01-2014, 18:58
Are you serious?

Just kidding about stun grenades. Im for the big firecracker rather than kill one. Works with moose too.

Dedicated Hanger
09-01-2014, 20:56
Just curious, why would in-the-tent storage of food be even considered as a acceptable solution at all? A bear does not care if you are holding it next to you when he wants it. You are a visitor in his house and he is not afraid of you. You can sleep with your food for 30 years and never have a problem. But when you do have that one incident, you will realize he is a wild animal who is hungry for your food. He does not care one bit that you are sleeping with it. Sleeping with your food is similar to going scuba diving in shark infested waters with pork chops hanging off your neck. Why would you even consider it?

Pedaling Fool
09-02-2014, 08:08
The shark analogy is flawed, just as it is flawed to say hiking around black bears is exactly the same as hiking around polar bears.

By your reasoning one should never carry food out into the "bear's house" on one's back without a gun to keep the black bears away from your food.

Odd Man Out
09-02-2014, 11:32
A bear does not care if you are holding it next to you when he wants it.
You are a visitor in his house and he is not afraid of you.
He does not care one bit that you are sleeping with it.

There are lots of arguments on both sides of the sleep with food/hang your food issue. However, the statements above are not supported by bear research. Here is a good article from a bear researcher about how most bears are quite afraid of people.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/119-how-dangerous-are-black-bears.html
These other pages on this web site are filled with lots of useful info.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans.html

MuddyWaters
09-03-2014, 00:05
Yes most black bears run away from people.

That unfortunately does not mean 100% will all the time.

There is always a minute chance something bad could happen. However, your chances of having a heart attack, or slipping and dieing from a head wound, are higher.

The option to talking risk, is to stay home.

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 00:29
Yes most black bears run away from people.

That unfortunately does not mean 100% will all the time.

There is always a minute chance something bad could happen. However, your chances of having a heart attack, or slipping and dieing from a head wound, are higher.

The option to talking risk, is to stay home....I just hope my first bear encounter is with a smart bear that can read and understands all these statistics.

lemon b
09-03-2014, 02:43
An air horn works also, but not worth the weight. Plus the kid factor, including the big kids.

AO2134
09-03-2014, 08:34
I hiking that section this weekend and did not see a bear. I am happy I did not see a bear. I hope to never see a bear.

swisscross
09-03-2014, 09:31
I hiking that section this weekend and did not see a bear. I am happy I did not see a bear. I hope to never see a bear.

Yes you do.
Have hike a few section hikes, Glacier, Yellowstone and a bunch around North GA and NC and never saw a bear.
Was not until I cycled the Blue Ridge Parkway (end to end) that I saw my first bear crossing the road.

It was the first day of a six day ride and it was the most memorable aspect of the entire trip.
I cannot wait to see my next bear in their environment.

Odd Man Out
09-03-2014, 09:55

Did you read the pages I linked in my previous post? One article is by a bear researcher who, having learned how bears really behave, grew to enjoy his bear encounters.

Some people hike the entire trail and never see a bear. I saw one about 4 hours into my first hike (central VA). All the other hikers said I was incredibly lucky to see one early on my first day.

blue indian
09-03-2014, 11:24
I had been wanting to see a bear for a while. I always make it a point to just sit a be quiet a few times throughout my hike to enjoy my surroundings. Its amazing what you see and hear when your not walking down the trail.

This was my first bear encounter. Like I said in the OP, the first one was cool because I heard the bear coming down the mountain before I saw it. And I sat and watched it quietly before it disappeared into the forest. Then I heard something much larger behind the first one but could never see it. That made me kind of nervous and retrace my steps up the trail to where I felt more comfortable. I eventually hollered out because I needed to keep walking and never heard or saw anything again until Wolf Laurel Top. This encounter made me nervous and it sounds like I did the right thing by getting out of there...

MuddyWaters
09-03-2014, 22:14

I always hope to see black bears. They aren't anything to be feared, its something to look forward too. Every bear ive seen, has either run away, calmly watched me with indifference, or ignored me. Never had one take any interest in me. Closest was 10 ft away.

I was disappointed on the JMT to not see any. I slept thru one that visited the backpackers camp in Yosemite, earplugs will do that.heard about it later.