PDA

View Full Version : Money on the Trail

jjozgrunt
08-29-2014, 04:27
Thinking of starting to buy a few $us while the exchange rate is favorable. As this will be my first visit to the states -

1. Are ATM's common in most of these small towns that dot the trail?

2. How much cash would you recommend carrying?

3. Can credit cards (visa/MC) be used at most of the hostels/motels/hotels and shops?

4. Is Visa or MC more acceptable? (seems like a funny question but I've been caught before. MC is not accepted anywhere in Madagascar, not even at banks).

Thanks in advance.

Moose

Lone Wolf
08-29-2014, 04:38
1. yes
2. $150.00
3. yes for motels/hotels and shops but a lot of hostels are cash only
4. Visa is most widely accepted

kayak karl
08-29-2014, 06:33
post offices and some stores have "cash back" with no ATM charge. just don't hit them up when they open.

bigcranky
08-29-2014, 06:47
1. ATMs are everywhere, but there is always a fee to use them. I use my debit card at the grocery store and get cash back there, which saves the ATM fee. Some stores only allow $20, but others allow $100 or more.

2. On the LT this summer I was carrying more than usual, several hundred dollars, because we were having problems with our credit card (fraud issues) and I wanted to be able to pay for a hotel and resupply with cash if needed. But normally $100 or $150 is fine.

3. Almost all motels, hotels, grocery stores, and outfitters will take cards. Hostels probably won't.

4. Any place that takes VISA will also take Mastercard in the USA.

jjozgrunt
08-29-2014, 06:54
4. Visa is most widely accepted

I have found that overseas in a lot of countries to the extreme in Madagascar where MC it is not accepted at all.

Another quick one is there any problems in the states using reloadable travel cards? (Visa/MC)

Thanks all, gives me a idea of how much to exchange in advance.

10-K
08-29-2014, 07:30
Check the magnetic strips on your cards and if they're showing a lot of wear consider replacing them before you come over.

peakbagger
08-29-2014, 07:42
You will get hit with ATM fees no matter where you use them. They charge the same fee no matter how much you take out. Some of the private ATMs in stores can charge a hefty surcharge and limit the amount of money you can get to low amount. Years ago, a popular outfitter has a private ATM with a $3 surcharge and a limit of $50. Generally try to stick to bank ATMs if possible as they are far more secure than the private ATMs in rural stores.

CarlZ993
08-29-2014, 07:54
On ATMs: ATM fees add up over time. I'd use my debit card in a grocery store & get $50 back in cash. When I had to use an out of network ATM (most were), I'd withdrawal the maximum allowable.

Good luck on your hike.

Coffee
08-29-2014, 08:55
The cash back idea is a very good one. Most larger grocery stores and the USPS offers cash back but usually with a $50-60 limit per transaction. But no fees. I usually like to have at least $150-250 in cash on me. Some hostels prefer cash or give a cash discount. All small businesses appreciate cash as they get hit with high credit card fees. I always try to pay small business with cash, especially if the transaction is small, like a cup of coffee.

10-K
08-29-2014, 08:56
You can also get an account that reimburses all ATM fees, regardless of who charges it and how much it is.

This is what we use: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/fidelity-cash-management-account/overview

Just Bill
08-29-2014, 09:27
JJ-
A thought- A friend of mine moved from the states to OZ. He keeps a U.S. bank account as his fiancé is from Los Angeles and they travel back and forth often.
Chase Bank has branches in Australia, and their debit card is under the Visa brand. They also offer free, in branch ATM replacements. You can access multiple accounts from your ATM card as well, so you could set up your savings with AUS money, and convert it when the exchange rate makes sense to a checking account while at home or even mobile with internet access.

Some of the German hikers I have run into over the years have found it easier to open a US account when they arrive or prior to their trip to avoid issues. ATM's are plentiful, but in some small towns people occasionally reported problems with international accounts. Hot Springs, NC comes to mind as a spot a very frustrated German hiker I met couldn't get access with his card. Probably safest to use a big bank/US issued card that you set up prior to travel just in case. I would imagine a Chase Bank branch could set this up locally for you.

A Visa prepaid gift card or similar is a good backup already mentioned. The only card that can be difficult to use is Discover. MC/Visa are pretty universal now in the US. AMEX travelers checks are not as easy to use these days and generally require a trip to the bank to cash.

Cash- Depending on your needs (resupply or mail drop) I would carry $100 in 20's for hostels, small gas stations, etc. Many smaller stores will not accept credit/debit on transactions under $20. Carry $200 if you plan to shop as you go.

jjozgrunt
08-29-2014, 09:37
Thanks Just Bill, I will look into that. We also have Citibank here, in fact my Visa is through them.

Odd Man Out
08-29-2014, 09:38
Haven't thru hiked, but in general, when I travel I like to have an ATM card (with no credit card logo) so that it can only be used with a PIN. Then I also have a regular credit card (or two). I don't want people being able to get to my checking acct $ with only a forged signature. Banks SAY you are protected from fraud with a debit card, but the laws give more fraud protection with credit cards. I also like the backup of having funds available from multiple accounts.

Also, If you are getting a new card because your magnetic strip if wearing out, ask if your card is available with a chip. It's the way things will be going in the future and already in much of the world outside the US, you may find that chip useful, or even necessary.

jjozgrunt
08-30-2014, 03:31
All cards, debit and credit, in Australia are now chip and pin.

Jeff
08-30-2014, 04:40
As "Just Bill" stated, traveler checks are a real hassle. Many hikers who bought them in advance have trouble getting them accepted. Some young folks at stores don't even know what they are.

Slo-go'en
08-30-2014, 10:20
As "Just Bill" stated, traveler checks are a real hassle. Many hikers who bought them in advance have trouble getting them accepted. Some young folks at stores don't even know what they are.

I gave up on Travelers Checks a while back. Hard to convince people they are money. "But it says it's a check..." I even had a bank in Erwin, TN (who sold Travelers Checks) refuse to exchange one for cash since I didn't have an account there. I raised a fuss and they finally relented, but charged me $2 for the favor!

Old Hiker
08-30-2014, 12:31
Odd Man Out - post #13 - above. I'd use a credit card, as a debit card allegedly can be sucked dry in a scam with no recourse from the card holder. I carried both with my wife making payments as needed.

At least with a credit card you can challenge the charge. Even at grocery stores, you can switch it to credit instead of debit.

I tried to have about $30 - $40 cash on me in 10 dollar bills. I dropped any coinage in change cups, hostel donation boxes etc. Weird, thinking about it now. I had over 45 pounds in my pack and I was worried about a few coins. Sheesh.

Tianto
08-30-2014, 12:40
Odd Man Out - post #13 - above. I'd use a credit card, as a debit card allegedly can be sucked dry in a scam with no recourse from the card holder. I carried both with my wife making payments as needed.

At least with a credit card you can challenge the charge. Even at grocery stores, you can switch it to credit instead of debit.

I tried to have about $30 - $40 cash on me in 10 dollar bills. I dropped any coinage in change cups, hostel donation boxes etc. Weird, thinking about it now. I had over 45 pounds in my pack and I was worried about a few coins. Sheesh.

umm... ok. lol

+1 on Lonewolfs reply. He spot on on every question you had.

_Murray_
10-28-2014, 07:13
I'm also from Australia and travel often. You're best bet to minimise fees are Citibank for cash withdrawals and 28 Degrees MasterCard for EFTPOS purchases. Some ATM fees are unavoidable. To minimise costs carry as much cash as you feel safe carrying (read losing).

I don't know how ATMs in the US work but sometimes you will encounter problems with large withdrawals when you are only issued very large denomination notes. Small businesses often struggle to change them.

norts
10-28-2014, 07:50
I used a travel card on the AT this year, it was a MC from NAB. I had no trouble with it. The ATMs do charge a bit with a cash withdrawal, so when ever I was getting low on cash I would do a fairly large withdrawal, usually about $500. I carried most of the cash in my wallet but had some in my pack. I carried my back up travel card in my pack.
Taz

Dogwood
10-28-2014, 12:31
Bring along at least two debit/credit cards. I was recently only carrying one ATM Debit/credit card. Although we keep getting told how safe paperless financial transactions are I was one of those 2 million people who had my ATM Debit card finacial info hacked into when I used it a Target store. The bank canceled that card and notified me they were sending me a replacement back home when I was out traveling/hiking. All I had was the cash in my wallet, which when hiking in the U.S. I typically keep $100 or less on me. Took me waiting around 3 days in town and hours with bank associates to finally have a new ATM Debit card rushed to me. LOL. I didn't even have money for coffee one morning.

Jeff
10-28-2014, 14:44
Whatever you decide do NOT bring travelers checks. Many stores, hostels, motels don't even know what they are !!!!!

Old Grouse
10-28-2014, 15:03
Your Citibank card should serve. Most ATMS here dispense only $20.00s, and that's just as well, because in many places they hesitate to accept larger denominations. I agree, try to use only ATMs at banks, not the ones in stores. Usually lower fees and much less chance of fraud.

peakbagger
10-28-2014, 17:15
Whatever you decide do NOT bring travelers checks. Many stores, hostels, motels don't even know what they are !!!!!

I had some travelers checks bought for a long section hike 10 years ago, I kept them in my car for emergencies. I finally cashed them in when I sold the car at the local credit union. None of the tellers knew what they were and finally had to call someone on if an how to cash them. I expect that to 99% of the trail businesses they wouldn't know one if they saw one.

4eyedbuzzard
10-28-2014, 17:35
If at a small town Post Office, especially early in the morning and/or on Saturdays, always ask the Clerk or Postmaster first if they have enough cash to give you some back. They typically don't open up with a lot of cash on hand.

Coffee
10-28-2014, 17:48
If at a small town Post Office, especially early in the morning and/or on Saturdays, always ask the Clerk or Postmaster first if they have enough cash to give you some back. They typically don't open up with a lot of cash on hand.

This has happened to me a couple of times. I got only $10 and $20 back on those occasions, less than the $50 limit. Grocery stores are usually better places to get cash back. But small town groceries usually don't do cash back at all. I really need to get an ATM card with a fee refund/waiver feature.

tiptoe
10-28-2014, 18:17
My bank (a small, local one) phased out traveler's checks a couple of years ago. I found that out when I was getting ready for a trip to Burkina Faso, which honors only Visa.

theoilman
10-28-2014, 20:28
The US is still on stripes, but converting to chip cards starting Oct 2015

hikeandbike5
10-29-2014, 11:39
I don't know how ATMs in the US work but sometimes you will encounter problems with large withdrawals when you are only issued very large denomination notes. Small businesses often struggle to change them.
atms in the us do not work like that.
they distribute 20s, 10s if you're lucky, and 5s if you're very very lucky.

brybur208
10-29-2014, 12:22
Never had a problem using my visa.

shelb
10-30-2014, 00:20
As they said, avoid the towns! Use them only for resupply!~ This will save tremendously.