PDA

View Full Version : creeps on the trail- how do you tell?

titanium_hiker
10-10-2005, 16:31
well, I figure we can start using this forum to see what happens... ladies, what are your biggest concerns about creeps on the trail? what are your warning signs? I know gut feeling and hair on the neck are good indicators, but what are some visual signs that freak you out? what do you do if you meet a creep on the trail?

titanium

Mouse
10-10-2005, 17:54
Well, when I encountered a man approaching me near Bake Oven Knob who was not dressed as a hiker and he immediately started making hand signals to a second man behind him who then ducked quickly out of sight into the bushes, I took it for granted that they were up to no good.

I slipped free my hands from the wriststraps of my poles and turned one around the other way with a good firm grip on it ready to fight like hell if needed. I gave the first man a neutral "hello" as I passed, then kept my face straight ahead as I watched out the corner of my eyes, looking into the brush where the second had disappeared just in case he was lying in wait rather than hiding. Then once I was out of sight I sped up like crazy to get as far away from them as I could get.

Lucy Lulu
10-10-2005, 18:11
Oops...

Lack of normal hiking apparel is a good sign.

I've also bypassed locations when the guy just seems a little odd, ie., he speaks very little or talks to himself a little too much, doesn't make any eye contact, etc.

No matter what the tangible indicators, gut will always steer you in the right direction. If you have even the slightest doubts, just move on. Better safe than sorry.

Red Hat
10-10-2005, 18:18
The creepiest guy I met on the trail this year was wearing khaki shorts and a polo shirt. He was pulling several wheeled suitcases along. He made no eye contact and avoided conversation. Scary!

One of my hiking buddies was uncomfortable when she came into a shelter where the only other person there was a kilted guy with a ponytail and huge knife. Turned out to be Bramble and she found out he was really a teddy bear.

gsingjane
10-10-2005, 20:18
For me the warning signs are when a guy can't raise his eyes as far up as my chin (if you get my drift) or if he gets too personal or acts too friendly, too quickly. Any sign that he has been ingesting substances during the day is a very bad one. Plus the good ole' gut, as the others say.

Jane in CT

Toolshed
10-10-2005, 20:45
Gut instinct - Pure and simple. It will tell you long before your mind tells it that you might be over-reacting and to stop acting so foolishly (we all do that little reality check, don't we???)

CynJ
10-10-2005, 21:54
I really try not to judge anyone soley on an initial appearance -sometimes the "all american boy" is really the creep.

For me its about someone's demeanor. If I smile and say a polite "hi" and I get no sort of response it generally sends my creep-dar in to overdrive as most folks will either say hi back or at least give you a nod or something.

ALWAYS trust your gut and the hairs on the back of your neck - they will never steer you wrong.

sliderule
10-11-2005, 09:49
ALWAYS trust your gut and the hairs on the back of your neck - they will never steer you wrong.I often get the feeling that I am perceived as a threat, even though I am not. I recently shared a shelter with two young ladies in their early twenties. After a bit of discussion (which I could not help but to overhear) they decided that they should collect some rocks so that they could "bash my head in" if I decided to cause trouble.
Their hiking schedule was a bit more ambitious than mine, so for the next few days I encountered opposite direction hikers who had heard the story of these two ladies and their night of terror.
One couple even warned me to be on the lookout for a wierd guy. After hearing the rest of their story, I realized they were talking about me. They had quite a laugh when I confessed that I was the "suspect."

Hammock Hanger
10-11-2005, 10:13
There were two times I was a little leery or uncomfortable with my "sole" companion in the shelter. Each time after eating and just feeling unsafe I decided to move on. I said I just couldn't settle down and that I might as well use that energy to get in a few more miles. -- One guy turned out to be an okay guy just wired a little different, today we are friends. -- The other one seemed to disappear from the trail community and I heard from others, males included, that he was "shifty".

I do not regret getting up and moving on even though I was tired and that was the last thing I wanted to do. I don't regret moving on and then finding out the guy was really okay. Better to find out later that he is okay then to find out early on that he is dangerous and harmful.

As said before go with your gut. No need to to spread "stories" but okay to share factual events and feelings with others that you think may need to know.

Sliderule, at least you were famous for awhile. Don't blame the women too harshly. There is a strong bases for our fears. I know I've been there.

poison_ivy
10-11-2005, 10:37
I'll repeat what others have said... just follow your gut instinct. If a place or situation doesn't feel quite right... even if you can't put your finger on why exactly... just hike on. I've only had to do this once or twice, and slept easier knowing I had put some distance between myself and the other person.

That said, I've never had any troubles with meeting creeps on the trail (or confirmation that my bad feeling was anything actually true.) But it's just better to be safe than sorry, especially when you're traveling solo.

- Ivy

Smile
10-11-2005, 11:46
Redhat: the creepiest guy I met on the trail this year was wearing khaki shorts and a polo shirt. He was pulling several wheeled suitcases along. He made no eye contact and avoided conversation. Scary!

Ah ha! Luggage man, LOTS of stories about him this past summer, he ended up turning around and going the other way, I must have hear ten or fifteen different hikers talk about this guy.

ATSeamstress
10-11-2005, 12:05
Ah ha! Luggage man, LOTS of stories about him this past summer, he ended up turning around and going the other way, I must have hear ten or fifteen different hikers talk about this guy.

Was this the guy just south of Bear's Den in mid-June? I saw him too. I thought he was possibly an artist or filmmaker who was lugging equipment out to the woods for inspiration, but he told others he was "hiking".

I hike solo a lot, but I always try to go during peak thru-hiker season. I usually stop at a shelter for dinner, and if no one else is there by the time I get my chores done, I move on and stealth camp. I never set up in a shelter unless there are others there that I feel comfortable with. Not that I don't want to be alone, but people know where the shelters are, but after dark, no one can find your stealth camp.

Trust your instincts, always. Better to overreact than get complacent.

Ragamuffin

sliderule
10-11-2005, 12:30
Gut instinct - Pure and simple. It will tell you long before your mind tells it that you might be over-reacting and to stop acting so foolishly Translation: Irrational behavior is a rational alternative.

rambunny
10-12-2005, 15:38
In 7,000 miles i was freaked out 3 times,once in a full shelter-plenty of back up,the guy left the trail soon after, once while hitchhiking-the fur on the back of my neck went up so i asked him if he was going to the town in his opposite direction and apologized and skampered off into the woods.Another a guy in full military camo big cell phones gun lots of keys came around a rock, i was polite but probebly set a new trail record finding another hiker to hike with for a while. On the other hand there are some people on trail with some lets say problems that are probebly only harmful to themselves and deserve to be trated like any other hiker. Who of us hasn't gone to the woods to find ourselves. I agree with the above follow your instinct,don't camp near a road or where obviously a party has been,and how near town are you? After a while on the trail when babylonian distractions are gone-you'll be amazed how fine tuned your radar is-use it.

Ridge
10-16-2005, 03:40
I only occasionally hike with my husband, and once in a while with some girlfriends. I've had too many problems with male hikers and locals especially if alcohol is involved. I do know that trail towns, trail heads, roadbeds are the worst place to camp. I tried to backpack with an organized group once, turns out this was a mistake. The worst experience I've ever had was waiting to pick my husband and friend up at Wayah Bald(NC), a jeep load of creeps came up and starting asking me questions, getting out and offering me beer, they had me blocked in by parking close behind me. Soon a truck load of hunters drove up, I told the bums in the jeep my husband and friends had arrived, I approached the hunters and ask them to act like they knew me, thankfully the creeps took off. Two things I learned, 1. Park your car so you can't be blocked in 2. Carry a cell phone and use it. Also, try not to travel alone. Hikerwife.

Big Dawg
10-16-2005, 06:51
especially if alcohol is involved. roadbeds are the worst place to camp. I was hiking w/ a friend (both of us white males), & the camping spot we had planned just happened to be right off a back road,,,, we hiked on the road 1/4 mile just to reach a bald mtn top. The road near our "wooded" campsite seemed to just curve & go into a deep ditch. Mistake #1----we didn't go into the ditch, cause we figured that's where it ended. Unfortunately, had we traveled down the ditch, we would have realized that the road turned sharply left, & into a backcountry campground for hunters. :eek: Not knowing this, we set up camp, & shortly after, a truck load of hunters came cruising down the road, noticed us, & drove partly into the woods near our campsite. Now don't get me wrong, I've hunted a few times & have many friends who are hunters, but these guys were scary. All seemed drunk, were fiddling w/ their guns, & were picking on our camp attire, & then suggested we join them later for dinner/deer, etc. We politely declined, but they insisted. Realizing we needed to act cool & calm, figuring they were just good ole country boys, we said ok. Once we went down to the campsite, many more hunters were there. We felt out of place, but tried to blend, & we did pretty well. However, one subject that came up was that we were "good" w/ them,, but had we been "not white", or "not male",, they'd have had some fun. They were pretty vulger about what they would have done w/ some hiker chicks, & discussed how they would have killed some "N". Me & my friend have repsect for all man/womenkind, so these conversations made our skin crawl. They may have just been talking sh_t, but were playing w/ their guns the same time they were making these vulger & disrepectful comments. Luckily, I'm 6'5", 280 lbs, & look pretty mean in the woods when I'm scruffy & dirty, so this probably helped our situation,, but I think about all of the wonderful female hikers & the few great black hikers I've met on the trail who might have had a problem w/ these guy's. Who knows. Lesson learned,,, never camp anywhere near any kind of road.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-16-2005, 08:52
Most of my experience with people on and along the trail has been wonderful. However, I met a few fellows in my earlier years that thought a woman hiking alone was fair game for some pretty physical sexual harassment (can't remember where I buried the bodies :D).

CynJ
10-16-2005, 10:48
Most of my experience with people on and along the trail has been wonderful. However, I met a few fellows in my earlier years that thought a woman hiking alone was fair game for some pretty physical sexual harassment (can't remember where I buried the bodies :D).
lol......99% of my friends my whole life have been men - so I learned at an early age how to get even for crap like that ......most of the time I'm so good at it that it takes them a few minutes to realize that they've been zinged back :D

Doctari
10-16-2005, 20:20
From a guy's POV:

As stated many times above: If you feel uncomfortable, move on. I have felt that "Gut feeling" a few times, I have been wrong a few times, but right enough to continue to listen to that gut RELIGOUSLY!

I'm in a business that, well, I need to be parinoid. I must assume the worst will happen & take care to prevent it. So, even if your "Gut" tells you it's OK, have a high suspision of anyone you don't know. If you meet me on the trail, and I freak you out, I really won't be offended. I have done that from time to time. I am, as the Hitch hikers guide says; Mostly harmless. :D No respectable person should critisize your fears, if they do, perhaps you should add them to your list of ones to avoid.

So if you see a mostly bald, older man in a dark green kilt & white blaze TEE , , , ,

Doctari.

Toolshed
10-17-2005, 23:12
Gut instinct - Pure and simple. It will tell you long before your mind tells it that you might be over-reacting and to stop acting so foolishly (we all do that little reality check, don't we???)
What the Heck!!???!??
Did I post this on the chick only forum....Grrrr.

Hammock Hanger
10-18-2005, 17:22
This is how I see it:

Any guys who don't look like they have shaved recently, are dirty, smelly, and have long hair sound creepy enough for me.
Hey, I take offense to that... A lot of those creeps are my friends.:jump

CynJ
10-18-2005, 17:28
lol Boston - have looked through the photo gallery lately? You alienate 3/4 of the WB population :D

rambunny
12-03-2005, 21:35
I am the one the park ranger warned you about!!!! My goal is to become known as that crazy woman that's still on the trail!!! We are in much more danger where we sit posting than on the trail. You were given internal radar at birth for this sort of thing,once the distractions of this world are gone you'll be suprised how much this is evident once you pass from being a visitor to the woods to being an integrigable part of the woods.

blindeye
12-04-2005, 09:19
hey boston don't come to amesbury. all the men and half the women are just as you described!!!!!!!! lol

the1stranger
12-04-2005, 21:50
Easy.

If she is upset for no apparent reason then it's a creep.

Best defence is to just bark and growl. Roll in the mud or just simply stop and stare.

If that doesn't work try saying hello as a last resort.

Sly
12-04-2005, 22:54
I am the one the park ranger warned you about!!!! My goal is to become known as that crazy woman that's still on the trail!!! We are in much more danger where we sit posting than on the trail. You were given internal radar at birth for.....

Rambunny,

When your internal radar breaks down or you're willing to lower it, you can always count on me.

ssjett
02-10-2006, 13:33
Last summer in the Shenandoahs, on a rainy foggy day, a guy walked up to the shelter with an umbrella, a falling-apart homemade pack, wearing a fuzzy liner from the inside of a jacket - or a jacket worn inside out - and a big pair of scissors holstered in his hip belt. He immediately started ranting about the rain, using inappropriate language, and wouldn't make eye contact. He fingered his scissors a lot. He sat too close, when he had the whole shelter to use, and he didn't seem quite sure which direction he was going, claimed to have come from Springer, but said he was quitting as soon as he made it to Waynesboro (which was several days SOUTH of us.) Long story short, he creeped me out, & I packed up & hightailed out of there. Only to hear later that he was being tracked by rangers - with guns - he was wanted for questioning in something that had happened in Front Royal.

Everyone else has said it, but I'll repeat it: Trust your gut. A beard, a bit of scruff, a bit of dirt doesn't mean anything except the guy's been out for a few days. But acting oddly, acting shifty, those are warning signs the guy isn't operating under the same codes of conduct the rest of us are.

verasch
04-22-2006, 00:34
i'm the over-friendly type, have a learning disability that isn't just add (so i get tripped up in my words a lot), like to party on the trail, but like to hike for hours and hours early the next day, and probably don't have the right 'hiking gear'.

therefore, i'm sorry if anybody has ever met me and thought i was 'sketchy' or 'shifty'.

however, when my spidey-sense starts to go off the hook, i end up trying to make myself look as unappealing as the object of my suspicion. sure, i'm a male, but i'm also tall and lanky. i have read how some of the guys on here are 6', 200 pounds, etc. etc. how lucky. i'm 6'4 and weigh 145. how intimidating!

getting back to the original statement about encountering weirdos on the trail, i think you have two options. do something, or do nothing. not to be cynical, but either way has a 50-50 shot of being successful or not. if you act physically, no matter how large you are, you can end up being schooled, or you might be able to best them. if you walk away, you might have the person follow you, he might not. he might just be lost.

i think you need to keep your options open. for example, when i first came to boston from a very small town in western mass, i sat down by the river to collect my thoughts. i didn't know at the time that this was a cruising destination for gay males, but hey, you learn something every day. at the time, i was taking my harmonica with me to wail on every now and then. as i was sitting there, this dude in track regalia came up to me and stood about ten feet to my left. he had a gym bag with him, so i figured he was coming from/going to the gym. i flicked my cigarette away, and noticed that he was masturbating! now, i could have gotten up and walked away, but instead i started playing my harmonica. the guy got so freaked out he ran away. but looking back on it, i probably should have walked away first, resulting to the mouth harp as a last result, as he could have become violent toward me.

as with anything else you do on the trail, just keep your wits about you. be crafty and resourceful and don't panic, or you'll lose the situation. that's the best way to handle situations like creeps on the trail.

just my .02

tiamalle
04-22-2006, 09:32
Oops...

Lack of normal hiking apparel is a good sign.

I've also bypassed locations when the guy just seems a little odd, ie., he speaks very little or talks to himself a little too much, doesn't make any eye contact, etc.

No matter what the tangible indicators, gut will always steer you in the right direction. If you have even the slightest doubts, just move on. Better safe than sorry.Mayfly if you happen to run into me on the trail don't freek.At times I section hike in business slacks and a coller shirt.Even though I have 3 different pairs of boots,I usually wear dress slippers and all hikers wonder why but it is my daily dress shoes.Other times I dress as a hiker with all my gear.But occasionally I just wear cut off jeans and a tee shirt.As a man I get those vibes when I'm near ladies who are afraid and I
back away and move on.What is weird is they check into my motels a few
days latter and freek when they find out who I am.Girls be carefull out there,ask questions on trail nowledge of things hiker all should know.Use
common sense.It will take care of you.Ron Haven
:D

Ridge
04-22-2006, 14:00
I'd take a look thru the photos of hikers here at WB, I'll admit a few scare me, but this may give you some idea of what to expect.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-22-2006, 14:35
This is how I see it:

Any guys who don't look like they have shaved recently, are dirty, smelly, and have long hair sound creepy enough for me.
My list is the exact opposite. Guys who are alone, too well dressed, don't look like they have a clue what they are doing in the wild... those worry me. The smelly, unshaven fellows with faded bandanas covering long hair belong there. Luckily, I'm old and plump and using two off-set canes as trekking poles (I could really put a hurting on someone with those :eek:). There aren't too many creeps willing to mess with me.

Vi+
04-23-2006, 21:35
Verasch,

Yew shuur did play a purty mouth harp down by the reevur that day. I was plum tuckered out and had to leev erlee, sahree we didn hook up. Mabee tumorry?

Kidding. Just kidding. (I suppose this is a terribly inappropriate place to kid.)

I think you’ve got the right idea. “... you have two options. do something, or do nothing.” There are no guarantees; sometimes you’re right, sometimes you’re wrong.

I’m sorry half the world has learned to be generally afraid of the other half. It must be awful to experience anxiety at the mere presence of the unavoidable other half of the world. I’m impressed by solo women hikers; their courage is continually tested.

I’m not sure what the female definition of a “creep” is for the purposes of this thread. (I’m probably hanging by a thread here right now because of my first paragraph.) Most women seem to become adept, after a certain number of birthdays, at fending off an unwanted suggestion, however it’s packaged. I assume the question of the thread “creeps on the trail - how do you tell?” isn’t so much about detecting a creep, as about what to do when you think you’ve found one, or how do you minimize the probability of having to deal with“creepy” male behavior in the first place?

People who “expose themselves” probably aren’t going to go further than that. If their intention was more, they would have tried to do it. A friend of mine in law enforcement gave presentations to women’s groups and advised them a woman shouldn’t act shocked when confronted by indecent exposure. The shocked reaction is what the exposer wants. It stimulates him. He is more inclined to repeat his act, especially to woman who “reward” his behvior most. One day my friend had a chance encounter with a woman, who had attended one of his presentations. She related an experience she had after attending his presentation. A guy exposed himself to her. She glanced at “it” and snorted, “Hmph, looks sort of like a penis, except smaller.” This may have ended the guy’s career.

Rape, it has been argued, is not so much a sexual act as an act of domination. If I were a concerned woman, an effective lightweight deterrent to rape might just be an Aids necklace. I don’t know whether or not such things are even made. I would look for one, however. Wear a simple necklace with the medallion under your shirt. If needed, burble something about having Aids, and fumble out your medallion. I suspect your act will passively dominate your attacker. You might still get beaten up a bit - probably not as bad an outcome as you might otherwise expect - but you did perform an act of resistance. You’ll feel better about yourself afterwards.

I retired from law enforcement during which time I worked in 49 states and on some different continents. In some places people act fairly true to their physical stereotype. If the guy looked bad, he was bad. Most places I’ve been, however, this is not true. I can honestly tell you, too, women’s intuition isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. You will be naturally wary of the “creepy” looking guy. The good looking guy presents the greater threat. You’ll relax your guard earlier.

People have touched upon what I think is the key. Is this person appropriate to this place at this time? For some, my first paragraph was off putting, as being inappropriate. You withheld your trust until you determined “what have we here?” This sensitivity and wariness is your alarm system.

Hikers need haircuts and a shower much of the time. The guy to worry about is the one who would be presentable to your parents, right now, but you’re some distance from a trail town. If he claims to have hiked a long distance, raise your personal Homeland Security Color Code. If, later, you become convinced he’s really a great guy, relax. Until you resolve every paradox, remain wary.

Guys love to talk about fighting off bears, and use attacking bears to justify carrying a gun.

If I was a woman, I would carry a decent knife. You need a knife to cut things with anyway, so why not carry few more ounces and have access to a more impressive knife? If you do carry an impressive knife, don’t display it. If someone wants to do you wrong, and knows you have a knife and where it is, he’s free to disarm you whenever an opportunity arises. If you need to fend someone off, you’ll be much more effective if the knife is promptly produced at the last moment. Surprise is a major benefit.

You need to realize, if you follow my advice and the blade is over a certain length, you will be committing an illegal act in most if not all states. Let’s see: your brother told you the Swiss Army Knife you wanted to carry won’t stay sharp; you need more blade for cooking; you keep it in your pocket for your convenience, to open bagels at trailside stores, slice a nice ripe tomato, and smear on cream cheese, etc. It isn’t necessary, in prosecuting you, to prove your criminal intent. But, when there’s been no incident, you‘re probably not going to be confronted anyway. And, if there’s been no incident, Officer Friendly is probably just determining whether or not you’re a menace to society.

If you do intentionally cut someone, quickly get to the nearest town and file a criminal complaint against your attacker.

When you meet other hikers you’re comfortable with, keep in touch. You don’t need to always be with them, nor always overnight with them. If you meet hikers who’ll be hiking with you, or in front of you, or even those following behind you establish communication on shelter logs. All of you will be better off.

There are few bears preying upon hikers along the AT. There are fewer people preying upon hikers.

docllamacoy
05-05-2006, 19:30
Gut instinct - Pure and simple. It will tell you long before your mind tells it that you might be over-reacting and to stop acting so foolishly (we all do that little reality check, don't we???)I'll ditto that. Even if it's not correct, you're better safe than sorry.

Burn
05-05-2006, 20:05
sexual harassment (can't remember where I buried the bodies :D). hahaha renee has been using that line forever....but unfortunately i have begun to believe that chick....hehehe since i've known her before we knew each other were hikers i'd add, ya never know when you being an inocent guy might be approached by some of the wildest women on earth who are more or less on a bipolar experience and just knew the trail was thier answer to end all answers...send em to Janet, she will advise them to go home.

the trail i saw was so seriously safe even when you as a woman might consider some of us weird clad and abnormal new people....later up the trail you'll know who is a thruhiker and who is not. At first every turn in the trail will show you someone who is different...different is not the reality check.

I honestly believe, locals, people within 1 mile of a trail head...that's the road ahead of you or behind you folks....are yer biggest concern. People who are clean...clean cut, aftershave...think society....thruhikers are gonna know you, know of you, know yer catching them and wanting to meet you, or know yer ahead and can catch you cause they have, you guessed it, hiker legs...don't worry about these types...yer other hiker buds know where you are too and you can take care of yerself. trust yer hiking community...keep an eye on yer pack on hitches and always keep it with you unless it's locked in yer hotel room with people you already know are not thieves.

simple advince to consider...including, if yer scared, yer scared...even if yer wrong...hike on or hike back to people you know who you trust and feel safe with. You can laugh In VT whern that strange dude turns out to be ok and a good memory and a bud...if he is a thru he will be there within 100 miles of you the whole way and can catch you on any given whim, so love diversity in the trail community, or call renee, she will teach you what a cat hole is...love ya renee

Spoonie Love
05-06-2006, 17:23
i was hiking last year and over the span of about two weeks had this very creepy guy hike along at the same pace. i was a solo hiker, but had met up with a great group of friends. when i made it clear to them that i was uncomfortable, they made every effort to make sure i was never alone with this individual. trust your gut, but also trust the family you make out there on the trail. 99.9% of your fellow hikers are out there for the same reasons, and you really form a special tie with each other. i found all hikers looked out for each other and when help was needed, help was provided. :)

Yonah Ada-Hi
05-06-2006, 23:55
As a male of reproductive age, I am aware that some females may feel wary of me in certain situations. I try to be respectful of personal space for every hiker I meet, especially those who might have reason to be made uncomfortable if I do not (young children, females, or anyone else).
Way back in our monkey past we humans learned to pay attention to the thousands of non-verbal and spoken cues that can elevate the "threat level" regarding a fellow human. If someone is setting off alarms, it is for a good reason, usually. Normal, even mutual, sexual attraction is in a gray area here, even in "civilized" circumstances. Healthy, mentally stable adults (assuming there are any!!) learn ways to deal with this one.
In a perfect world, everyone would have a fear free trail experience. Until that happens, be a little aware all the time.