PDA

View Full Version : Sections options... North VA or South PA

Gambit McCrae
08-29-2014, 11:59
I have completed MD last year and am going back up that way in October for 8 hiking days. I will average about 15 miles a day, maybe more if its flatter then NC TN have been. I will 99% prolly be solo with my Lab Ward, Would you choos to start at Harpers ferry and Sobo for a week or start at Pen Mar and go NOBO for a week? Looking to get about 120-140 miles in.

As well, a third option would be to start in damascus and go NOBO for a week. But like to use my week vaca time to go further north driving wise then I can on a weekend. I like in Cookeville TN

johnnybgood
08-29-2014, 12:26
Starting at Harper's Ferry going sobo 120 miles will have you in the central district of SNP. If you prefer the fall foilage then middle October in Shenandoah Nat'l Park is pretty special. The weekend tourists will be in full masses but the weekdays aren't bad.

That's my two cents.

RED-DOG
08-29-2014, 12:33
If I had the choice I would do The SNP, Start at Rockfish Gap and hike NOBO for a week, You should be able to make it to Linden VA ( 116.0 Miles ), or VA7-Snickers Gap ( 141.9 Miles ). In my opinion the S.N.P is the best part of Northern VA, It's nicely graded, great views.

or maybe take a look at this, Start NOBO from PA 16 - Blue Ridge Summit, PA To Port Clinton PA ( 150.2 Miles ), this is before the PA rocks gets bad, there's a few rocks but not many, this section is the best part of PA.

Gambit McCrae
08-29-2014, 12:35
Im trying to keep the sections completed as continuouse as possible south va, north va to HF, and southern PA are my options

Studlintsean
08-29-2014, 12:39
Johnny is saying if you go SOBO from HF for 120 miles, you will end up in Central SNP somewhere

Gambit McCrae
08-29-2014, 12:58
As in it is pretty there in October or that like the SMokies, there is nowhere to get off the trail at 120 miles in? lol

Gambit McCrae
08-29-2014, 13:00
Oh duh Skyline drive parralells the trail. I kinda like that idea...

Alligator
08-29-2014, 13:06
I'd maximize peak fall foliage based on the dates in October. I would also check hunting season dates, might be too early though. I did those sections in the summer and winter so I have not looked previously.

Studlintsean
08-29-2014, 13:26
You can't go wrong with SNP in the fall. If recommend it and you can get off all over the place so no issues there.

Gambit McCrae
08-29-2014, 14:16
That would really maximize my distance as well, Hike as far as I wish and therefore not cuting my trip short by ending early

Studlintsean
08-29-2014, 14:42
Here is what I would recommend: Drop your car in the park at Loft Mountain Campground. Get a shuttle to HF which is 133 miles. Head south and hike as far as you can and once in the park, you should know about where you will need to get off and pick a spot at skyline to exit the AT.

I hike in the park frequently and have never had any issues with hitch hiking (could be a bit tougher with just you and the dog- I usually have someone else to either ride or watch the dog while I ride).

Gambit McCrae
08-29-2014, 15:06
iM LIKING THIS PLAN...

Disco
08-30-2014, 13:25
You say you finished MD, so you could start at PenMar Park (0.2 miles from the Mason-Dixon line) and hike north to PA 72 Swatara Gap, just under 120 miles. PA72 is very close to I-81 for your return trip arrangements. You would pass Caledonia State Park and Pine Grove Furnace State Park (home to AT museum!), Boiling Springs (AT office is there), Duncannon (home to Doyle hotel), etc. However, you live closer to SNP, and that idea sounds great, too. Happy hiking!