PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a bigger pack.

nastynate
08-29-2014, 20:33
I bought a ULA Ohm last year. I love the pack. But my son and I have switched to hammocks. He is 5, so he usually only carries his clothes, rain gear, water, and snacks. So now I need to carry 2 hammocks, 2 underquilts, 2 top quilts, plus my gear. Base weight is around 16lbs, just a lot of bulk. The 4 quilts and 2 hammocks pretty much take up the main body of my pack, leaving only the collar and outside pockets for our food and my gear. I don't have the income for another pack really, so I think I would need to trade my Ohm 2.0 for a bigger pack. Maybe the catalyst or mariposa? Most of my trips are with him. I only do 1-2 weekends a year solo. I'm guessing it will be at least 5-6 years before he is carrying a lot of his own gear. Just looking for advice.

July
08-29-2014, 20:53
I bought a ULA Ohm last year. I love the pack. But my son and I have switched to hammocks. He is 5, so he usually only carries his clothes, rain gear, water, and snacks. So now I need to carry 2 hammocks, 2 underquilts, 2 top quilts, plus my gear. Base weight is around 16lbs, just a lot of bulk. The 4 quilts and 2 hammocks pretty much take up the main body of my pack, leaving only the collar and outside pockets for our food and my gear. I don't have the income for another pack really, so I think I would need to trade my Ohm 2.0 for a bigger pack. Maybe the catalyst or mariposa? Most of my trips are with him. I only do 1-2 weekends a year solo. I'm guessing it will be at least 5-6 years before he is carrying a lot of his own gear. Just looking for advice.

Besides the buy/sell gear here on WB, you can also check Backpacking Gear Flea Market (FBook). Maybe find good deal on a larger pack. That does sound like a large (vol) for the Ohm. After all is loaded and said and done.

kayak karl
08-29-2014, 20:56
considered a front pack for extra gear?

johnnybgood
08-29-2014, 22:37
Unless you're hammocking in winter ditch the UQuilts. Use insulating 3/4 pad instead .

Buy a used pack here.or sell the Ohm using the money to buy another ULA.

bigcranky
08-29-2014, 23:28
Yeah, you're gonna need a bigger pack :)

When my kid was little I used a Gregory Shasta, all 6 pounds and 6000 cubic inches of it. I think these days a Catalyst would be fine.

+1 on a 3/4 length CCF pad for summer hammocking.

Feral Bill
08-30-2014, 09:35
Yeah, you're gonna need a bigger pack :)

When my kid was little I used a Gregory Shasta, all 6 pounds and 6000 cubic inches of it. I think these days a Catalyst would be fine.

+1 on a 3/4 length CCF pad for summer hammocking.. I don't see two 3/4 inch ccf pads helping with bulk.

johnnybgood
08-30-2014, 09:47
. I don't see two 3/4 inch ccf pads helping with bulk.

CCF pads can be straped outside the pack.

bigcranky
08-30-2014, 10:24
CCF pads can be straped outside the pack.

Exactly what I was going to say, and let me add that the kid can carry his own, reducing bulk for dad.

My daughter carried her pad, a fleece sweater, rain shell, water bottle, some snacks, and a stuffed animal when she first starting backpacking at age 4. Total weight maybe 4 or 5 pounds in a tiny pack. Pretty cute, actually. As she grew up she started carrying her sleeping bag, spare clothing, etc.

nastynate
08-30-2014, 20:13
Let's just go off the assumption that we will be using the underquilts. I've done the pad thing. It's not happening. I guess another option would be a $25 craigslist external frame. I'm really thinking that giving up the 1.5 pound pack weight penalty for a nice Catalyst, Mariposa, or similar would be the most benefit. I could be wrong though. Anyone know how well a Catalyst compresses with a small gear list for those few solo trips?

July
08-30-2014, 20:51
Let's just go off the assumption that we will be using the underquilts. I've done the pad thing. It's not happening. I guess another option would be a $25 craigslist external frame. I'm really thinking that giving up the 1.5 pound pack weight penalty for a nice Catalyst, Mariposa, or similar would be the most benefit. I could be wrong though. Anyone know how well a Catalyst compresses with a small gear list for those few solo trips?

Can't speak for the Catalyst but my Ohm can be shock corded down. Have over a thousand miles on a Mariposa (generation 2) this pack is very compressible if need be. I have carried both winter/summer loads in the Mariposa.

mister krabs
09-05-2014, 06:54
Why not get him a bigger pack and give him the underquilts? They're not heavy, but bulky, it would be a lot cheaper, he'll need a bigger pack soon anyway.

RED-DOG
09-05-2014, 11:53
Can you fit all of your gear inside the pack you have without attaching anything to the outside, if yes you don't need a bigger pack, if no you need a bigger pack.

OCDave
09-05-2014, 12:43
Why not get him a bigger pack and give him the underquilts? They're not heavy, but bulky, it would be a lot cheaper, he'll need a bigger pack soon anyway.

+1 He will feel rewarded by carrying a big pack and eventually when you have to carry his pack it will be easy to manage.

The Old Boot
09-05-2014, 12:46
Since you like the Ohm, may I suggest you look at the Epic pack they make. It uses interchangeable dry bags...one pack, your choice of size for packing.

I use the 65L for single carries on canoe trips but if all my fellow trippers are double carrying (they all take too much stuff...:rolleyes:), I can easily switch to a pair of 35s and double carry along with them.

nastynate
09-05-2014, 14:15
I think I'll pick up a compression sack and let him carry his quilts and hammock. Even with his rain gear, water, and jacket he should be under 7 lbs total.

q-tip
09-06-2014, 11:43
I went thru six packs before I settled on the GG VC 60. Just 34 oz. and everything fits for a full three season. There are so many trade offs in backpacking, ultimately its what works for you.