PDA

View Full Version : what do y'all think about the "AT HIKER" app?

jefals
08-31-2014, 00:18
I was looking for an app to track my progress, and show me where the towns were and other info regarding my surroundings as I progress along the trail, and came across this app. I downloaded the demo, and I kinda like it -- but then realized you have to buy about 9 of these for the whole trail. If you've used this app, do you like it? Do you know of others that you like better?

Thanks!

Sugarfoot
08-31-2014, 06:54
I used it in Northern Virginia this spring. It worked well and if you are judicious about engaging the GPS, it doesn't drain the battery. There was one time when I went out to an outlook and when I came back, I couldn't remember which way I needed to turn. I went about ten feet, hit the GPS button, and it was obvious that I was going the wrong way. That was nice. I've hiked in dense fog before, also in Virginia, when I couldn't see across the Blue Ridge Parkway to see where the trail reentered the woods. This app would have been helpful then. It certainly isn't necessary and doesn't replace the need for The Companion or other book for town services, but it was fun.

bigcranky
08-31-2014, 08:08
We used the Gaia GPS app this summer on the Long Trail, and it worked pretty well. I kept my phone in airplane mode unless I needed to take a GPS reading, and I pre-downloaded all the maps.

So, that said, we met some hikers using the AT app, and it looked pretty terrific -- the Gaia maps don't have the latest AT corridor and don't show mileage or many features (like some shelters.) I'd want it next time. As noted, it doesn't replace a paper guidebook, but it's a good supplement.

bamboo bob
08-31-2014, 08:29
I used Guthook on the CDT in Colorado and loved it.

10-K
08-31-2014, 08:31
Guthook's app on the PCT was awesome too.

Glad to hear about the CDT version!

GoldenBear
08-31-2014, 08:52
I used it this month after years of printing out topo maps.
Enjoyed it a lot.

I have a habit of thinking, "Oh, there's a mountain, and my map shows there's a mountain near the shelter. Therefore, I must be near the shelter."
I learned to curb my enthusiasm over the years, but it was nice to REALLY KNOW where I was in relation to places to get water and/or stop for the night.

I don't know if I'd say it was worth every penny, but it was a nice supplement to my topo maps.

bamboo bob
08-31-2014, 09:03
Keep in mind that you don't really "need" maps on the AT. The data book or Awol is plenty. But if you would have had 2200 miles of maps than Guthook is better and maybe cheaper even at $9 bucks a state. It is not a p0wer hog at all. Keep phone on Airplane Mode and only switch on GPS when you want you location. Its easy to forget to shut it off. But on airplane mode your phone is long lasting and quick camera too. Five days use with airplane mode on all day and off at night.

jefals
08-31-2014, 11:34
I used it in Northern Virginia this spring. It worked well and if you are judicious about engaging the GPS, it doesn't drain the battery. There was one time when I went out to an outlook and when I came back, I couldn't remember which way I needed to turn. I went about ten feet, hit the GPS button, and it was obvious that I was going the wrong way. That was nice. I've hiked in dense fog before, also in Virginia, when I couldn't see across the Blue Ridge Parkway to see where the trail reentered the woods. This app would have been helpful then. It certainly isn't necessary and doesn't replace the need for The Companion or other book for town services, but it was fun.

I'm concerned about that kind of stuff happening to me, too.

jefals
08-31-2014, 11:35
I have a habit of thinking, "Oh, there's a mountain, and my map shows there's a mountain near the shelter. Therefore, I must be near the shelter."

yeah, I know that feeling! :)

jefals
08-31-2014, 11:37
thanks for the advice folks.

2000miler
10-18-2014, 12:34
Bumping this thread, did any 2014 thru-hikers use this app? I'm interested to hear recent experiences with it.

Did you have to keep your GPS engaged the entire time? Could you just turn it on as needed to figure out where you are, or at the beginning and end of your day to mark where you started / ended? I'd love to map my progress every day and get accurate mileage counts, but I'm concerned it would suck up the battery if I needed to keep my phone off airplane mode all day with the GPS running.

Sly
10-18-2014, 16:24
From all reports the app is really good but I would think it's much easier to keep track of your mileage with a Companion or AT Guide. (I don't know of a start/end day function on the app)