PDA

View Full Version : What wt and brand Merino wool base layer?

saltysack
08-31-2014, 22:42
Looking at trying Merino wool base later for sleeping as my cap 1 are not enough below about 40 in my marmot helium bag...I get cold easy... I yes my cap 4 hoody to hike in so need a dedicated sleep later...any reccs .... Southern AT only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
08-31-2014, 23:15
You can look at the goal of getting the warmth you want from an only one apparel piece perspective. That is, switching out a Pat Cap 1 to a Pat Cap 3 or 4. But, perhaps, a better way to approach the goal is to just add a layer, perhaps a lighter layer, into the mix with the Pat 1 you already have. If you take the later approach and do it efficiently you'll probably find you get greater apparel combinations that address a greater variety of conditions while at the same time attaining the greater warmth goal. There are so many other ways to add sleep warmth too beyond just looking at it from adding apparel/accessory only perspective.

saltysack
08-31-2014, 23:18
You can look at the goal of getting the warmth you want from an only one apparel piece perspective. That is, switching out a Pat Cap 1 to a Pat Cap 3 or 4. But, perhaps, a better way to approach the goal is to just add a layer, perhaps a lighter layer, into the mix with the Pat 1 you already have. If you take the later approach and do it efficiently you'll probably find you get greater apparel combinations that address a greater variety of conditions while at the same time attaining the greater warmth goal. There are so many other ways to add sleep warmth too beyond just looking at it from adding apparel/accessory only perspective.

What would u suggest over cap1? Try to keep wt down ..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
09-01-2014, 00:14
To add some warmth I might try adding a mid wt merino tee or perhaps a lighter wt long sleeved 1/2 zip thermal top underneath(if it's especially cold, who's to say you can't also hike in such a thermal top?). Over the Pat Cap I like throwing on a vest. I view a vest as: something I'm more likely to hike compared to a long sleeved jacket which is mainly a camp or stopped piece in all but the coldest backpacking weather, focuses in on increasing warmth in my torso(that's where most of your organs are so contributes in a focused way on core warmth), and some are down right light wt having very good warmth to wt ratios. I like down vests w/ a more down protective possibly DWR treated face fabric. I still like the long trusted Montbell Thermawrap synthetic vest for its more mild warmth enhancing character at a very light wt. Don't discount the accessory warmth a beanie and gloves, even light wt nylon gloves, can add both while hiking and when sleeping. I will wear/layer all these pieces at once to create warmth rather than looking at creating warmth from a one piece perspective. I'll also sleep in a dry rain/wind jacket and/or rain pants(when I carry them)over the top of all this all in attempt to create warmth and have gear do double and even triple duty.