PDA

View Full Version : 2 week section with easy access to/from Durham, NC?

quasarr
09-01-2014, 09:46
Hey guys, I'm back in NC for summer break and in mid-September I would like to do a 2-week or so section. Any suggestions? I live in Durham and can drive somewhere, so any advice for parking and how to get back to my car? (I would rather hike in one direction but I'll turn around and go back if there aren't other options.) I will be doing 15-20 miles per day.

Thanks!! :)

10-K
09-01-2014, 09:52
How about Davenport Gap to Atkins-Groseclose?

Highlights:

1. Max Patch
2. Big Bald
3. Beauty Spot
4. Roan Highlands
5. Grayson Highlands

Resupply is easy-peasy:

1. Hot Springs
2. Erwin
3. Damascus

Hostels galore:

1. Uncle Johnnys
2. Laughing Hart
3. Greasy Creek
4. The Place

quasarr
09-02-2014, 12:09
Thanks 10-K! I have hiked the Grayson Highlands before and I really like that area. Any ideas about where to park? :)

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2014, 12:57
You can park at the Big Creek Ranger Station if ending hike at Davenport Im not sure on the Atkins side of stuff where to park, 10-K prolly has a better idea on that side of things

10-K
09-02-2014, 13:10
Thanks 10-K! I have hiked the Grayson Highlands before and I really like that area. Any ideas about where to park? :)

If you're hiking NOBO you could park at the Relax Inn and get a shuttle back to Davenport Gap. If you're hiking SOBO you could park at the ranger station Gambit mentioned or Standing Bear Farm and get shuttled to Groseclose (not sure if I'm spelling "groseclose" right).

The only downside is that the shuttle would probably cost a small fortune. It's around a 165 mile drive one way between Davenport Gap and Groseclose.

Tennessee Viking
09-02-2014, 22:32
Quasarr,
just to add. If not limiting your hikes to just the AT. You can also hike sections of the MST; some which just happen to cross through Durham/Raleigh.

The MST runs quite a bit along the parkway and Pisgah Forest, NC state parks, country roads, Neuse River, and Eno/Falls Lake area.

FlyPaper
09-03-2014, 09:29
Hey guys, I'm back in NC for summer break and in mid-September I would like to do a 2-week or so section. Any suggestions? I live in Durham and can drive somewhere, so any advice for parking and how to get back to my car? (I would rather hike in one direction but I'll turn around and go back if there aren't other options.) I will be doing 15-20 miles per day.

Thanks!! :)

From Durham NC, the closest points on the AT are in Virginia.

Not sure how far you want to go, but here is a 149 mile section with good parking and trail access at both ends....

http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=EV&k2=FZ&h=78dd009b&year=2014

It contains McAfee Knob and Dragon's Tooth.