PDA

View Full Version : Prime time to they the FHT?

saltysack
09-01-2014, 11:19
I'm planning to do a thru on fht this fall/winter....when should expect leaves to turn?? Temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
09-01-2014, 11:19
Opps....thru

10-K
09-01-2014, 12:20
FHT = Foothills Trail?

saltysack
09-01-2014, 12:24
Yep....

10-K
09-01-2014, 12:32
I think if you're hiking for leaf season you might want to consider a bit further north. It's been a few years since I last hiked the trail but seems like I remember it has a lot of pine trees.

But... I have a bad case of CRS too. :)

saltysack
09-01-2014, 12:40
Not really concerned about leaves I guess ideal temps....nov?

78owl
09-01-2014, 13:00
Late Sept. thru Nov. Yes, there will be fall color and cooler temps.

saltysack
09-01-2014, 13:37
Thx

g8trh8tr
09-01-2014, 16:14
Agreed...Prime time will be mid October..

tagg
09-01-2014, 21:02
I went last fall October 30-November 2 and the leaves were at their peak, temps were very comfortable.

saltysack
09-01-2014, 21:07
I went last fall October 30-November 2 and the leaves were at their peak, temps were very comfortable.

What were temps like? Obviously changes year to year just curious as I like to hike in cooler weather...

tagg
09-02-2014, 13:37
What were temps like? Obviously changes year to year just curious as I like to hike in cooler weather...

Low 70's during the day, except the last day, which was around 60.
Low 50's at night, except the last night, when it got down to about 40.

Here are a few pics from that trip which may give you an idea of what the leaves were like, but obviously the timing changes from year to year, as well...

saltysack
09-02-2014, 13:51
Nice pix thx....leaves look awesome...

Ktaadn
09-02-2014, 14:39
How is this trail in the winter? Muddy? Good water sources? Anything else?

10-K
09-02-2014, 15:33

I hiked it once in mid-January. Great winter trail!

Always lots of water, lots of campsites, and since it's not a high elevation trail it's quite as cold as some of the AT in NC/TN/VA.

Mobius
09-02-2014, 15:48

I hiked between Christmas and New Years. Lots of water. Some mud, but nothing terrible. Not a lot of people. It was cold enough that I wasn't tempted to go swimming.

http://macluskie.com/reports/2013/foothillstrail_2013-12/index.html

saltysack
09-02-2014, 16:30
Thx...sounds like y'all had a great trip... I'm looking forward to it... Prob early November..

Dogwood
09-02-2014, 16:48

Thru-hiked it once on the cusp of Late Nov/Dec and another time in early Feb. Used most of the FHT as part of a another hike in late Oct. This area of SC although in the upcountry part of SC still experiences windows of hikeable weather virtually year round. That's why I save the FHT for a winter season shakedown hike in prep for a longer hike or when I absolutely have to restore my sanity by getting into Nature during the winter without having to travel all the way to FL, CA, or the southwest when I'm in the Lower 48. Do be mindful of opting for those favorable weather windows though during winter. IMHO the FHT can be hazardous during ice storms or when the trail has ice on the trail. Some sections no problem with the ice but in other sections there is trail apparatus like many steps, a few ladders, quite a few wooden bridges, etc.

It's not a muddy trail per say but after a four day deluge when I started out on one of my thru hikes I did encounter some mud in the heavily rhododendron forested ravines.

The FHT is known for its abundant waterfalls and overall abundant rainfall. Some parts of this area of SC that the FHT is routed is a rain forest.

saltysack
09-03-2014, 16:08
Thru-hiked it once on the cusp of Late Nov/Dec and another time in early Feb. Used most of the FHT as part of a another hike in late Oct. This area of SC although in the upcountry part of SC still experiences windows of hikeable weather virtually year round. That's why I save the FHT for a winter season shakedown hike in prep for a longer hike or when I absolutely have to restore my sanity by getting into Nature during the winter without having to travel all the way to FL, CA, or the southwest when I'm in the Lower 48. Do be mindful of opting for those favorable weather windows though during winter. IMHO the FHT can be hazardous during ice storms or when the trail has ice on the trail. Some sections no problem with the ice but in other sections there is trail apparatus like many steps, a few ladders, quite a few wooden bridges, etc.

It's not a muddy trail per say but after a four day deluge when I started out on one of my thru hikes I did encounter some mud in the heavily rhododendron forested ravines.

The FHT is known for its abundant waterfalls and overall abundant rainfall. Some parts of this area of SC that the FHT is routed is a rain forest.

What direction you recommend?

Dogwood
09-03-2014, 20:46
What direction you recommend?

That question has been covered here quite extensively. If you look at the FHT elev profile it's VERY similar total elev change wise regardless of hiking direction between the typical FHT termini at Table Rock SP and Oconee SP. If you want to get the biggest climbs out of the way in the beginning coasting on the back end along the scenic Chatooga River into Oconee SP start at Table Rock SP. If you have logistical reasons(like finishing further east closer towards Hwy 276/Greenville SC) ) or you want to work your way into the hike from an elevation perspective start at Oconee SP and end at Table Rock SP at the Nature Center or Raven Cliff Falls in Caesar's Head SP.

Theosus
09-03-2014, 21:20
I did the section around the gorges state park area (lake Jocassee to bear camp creek) back in November of 2012, and again in January of 2013. In early November the leaves were still falling and pretty. In January no leaves, of course. Plenty of water.
I did the oconee state park to bad creek back in march of this year over three days. Beautiful section along the chatooga river. Again plenty of water. I'm going to do the table rock state park to 178 as a day hike in November, then 178 to bad creek later on and finish the whole thing.
I would start at table rock and get the hard parts done. The section from bad creek on to oconee will be a nice change after the rugged sections. There are a few spots along the chatooga river where you can camp right by the water. People even have made "lounge chairs" from stacked rocks.