PDA

View Full Version : Footwear for a mid March nobo start

Slingshot16
09-01-2014, 16:45
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and planning a 2016 nobo thru hike. My plans are to start sometime in mid March. Forgive me if my question has already been answered in another thread. What kind of weather can be expected starting out in mid March? Am I going to be experiencing snow accumulation that is going to warrant wearing boots? My plan is to go light when it comes to footwear. Trail runners or something closely related. I just don't want to be stuck on some mountain top with 6 inches of snow wearing a pair of trail runners. Just wondering what others wear starting out in March and what can be expected as far as snow goes. Thanks

TNfire
09-04-2014, 05:26
I'm also planning a mid march NOBO in 2016, I was going to ask the same question, but you did that for me :P everyone here is awesome though, so I'm sure someone can answer it!

Kaptain Kangaroo
09-04-2014, 06:08
The weather could be anything, from warm & sunny to significant snow, so be prepared for the worst & then enjoy the best if you are lucky enough get it ! I started in early March & had some warm T-shirt days in Georgia, but then was struggling through a white-out & knee deep snow on Max Patch.

I did wear trail runners & they are fine for me in snow...but I am OK with wet feet & I don't get cold feet...you may be different. Some people prefer boots. Best thing to to is figure it out for yourself by doing some practice hikes in poor weather. It will help you work out your gear preferences & also make you a better prepared & much safer hiker (and give you a much better chance of completing your hike)

Try a search on these topics on WB, they have been discussed many, many times before & you can read the 1,001 different opinions :rolleyes: