PDA

View Full Version : Harisonburg VA

Nearly Normal
10-10-2005, 23:07
I'm going to be in the area for a week. Can anyone recommend AT highlights in the area. It will have to be day hikes with my schedule.
Pete

the goat
10-11-2005, 08:21
old rag mountain and white oak canyon trail are two of the most popular in northern SNP. if you've never done old rag, i highly recomend it....it's the coolest mountain south of the mason-dixon line.

chknfngrs
10-11-2005, 08:55
Follow US211 out of New Market (just up the road from Harrisonburg) and hit up some or parts of the Massanutten Trail. Way less crowded on weekends than Shenandoah. Either off of 211 in New Market Gap or off of 33 farther south in what I believe is south of Edinburg Gap. Fun stuff for sure.

If it's the AT your're after, hit the SNP. Old Rag is in the northern part of the Central Section, just south of US211 and Skyline Drive, not on the AT but definitely a good hike.

There's also some good stuff in the southern section, just not loop hikes.

Newb
10-11-2005, 10:21
If you go WEST Of Harrisonburg to the Washington National Forest there is an exceptionally beautiful lake at Spitzer dam. Take hwy 30 (or 31) west and the turn-off is on top of a mountain just a couple of miles before West Virginia (on the left). This is the only trophy Brook Trout fishery in Virginia. You can camp in the Forest behind the lake and the access roads go back forever.

Nearly Normal
10-20-2005, 03:20
Thanks for the info.
I have heard about "old rag" and will be working out of Massanutten but didn't know there was a trail there. That will be super.
Pete

BlackCloud
10-20-2005, 08:35
The guy asked for AT highlights people, not everything else:datz

You want AT highlights? Try Black Rock (milepost 87) or Loft Mtn. (mp 80) in the So. Sect. of Shenandoah NP or Hawksbill Mtn. (MP 47) or Lewis Mtn (MP 63)in the Central Sect.

All the above are 1 -2 hour drive times. I strongly advise going to the outfitters on Rt 33 West in Harrisburg, 1/4 mile east of I-81 for a $10 Nat'l Geographic map of the park.....

Happy trails.............