PDA

View Full Version : camp stool , home made?

squeezebox
09-02-2014, 01:15
Does anyone sell a UL tripod camp stool? I have the poles leftover from a dead Sierea Design flash light tent. With 3 poles 20 inches (?)
A triangle piece of nylon , 14-18 in" ? Grommets or something to secure the seat to the top of the poles. Lash the poles together at mid point.
A screw and big fender washer screwed into the foot end of each pole, to not sink into the ground too bad.
Can't quite guess the weight, but not much.
But is there usually enough already there stuff to sit on ??

kayak karl
09-02-2014, 07:03
i don't know of too many that have a stool on their gear list. even with a weight of"not much" is still too much. some carry a sitting pad, i carry neither. i usually sit on a rock. yes it gets heavy, but its sturdy :)

Sidewinder
09-02-2014, 07:08
Are you looking for a stool to buy or trying to make one?
REI sell this one, 18oz

http://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool#specsTab

saltysack
09-02-2014, 08:01
I tried carrying stool....took back now carry small section of a zlite sleep pad that's also my dogs bed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
09-02-2014, 08:08
Go hike the section between springer and neel gap in the spring and you can pick up one for free, if that tells you anything.

Plenty of rocks and logs. A small piece of ccf pad helps a lot.

saltysack
09-02-2014, 08:14
Go hike the section between springer and neel gap in the spring and you can pick up one for free, if that tells you anything.

Plenty of rocks and logs. A small piece of ccf pad helps a lot.

Haaa....true

OCDave
09-02-2014, 09:15
Consider a hammock. Supper comfy chair and you could even sleep in it.

Slo-go'en
09-02-2014, 10:17
I meet a woman last year who started out with a camp chair. She said she loved it and would never part with it. Then I bumped into her a few weeks later and said "hey, what happened to the camp chair?". "I sent it home", she sheepishly replied.

On the AT there are plenty of things to sit on, but an insulated sitting pad is nice to have. (Small piece of Closed Cell Foam) Helps keep your butt warm and dry.

However, it your going to hike in Glacier or possibly other western trails, a camp chair might be nice to have. A lot less things to sit on there.

4Bears
09-02-2014, 10:49
I just use a piece of half inch thick CCF that I snatched out of a shipping box, weighs maybe a 1/2 oz.. Slide it in the back of the pack as a stiffener and then use it to soften up KK's rock that he leaves behind. :D

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2014, 10:51
All of my stools are homemade and solid. Vary in color, long lasting, real sturdy after hardening

saltysack
09-02-2014, 11:23
All of my stools are homemade and solid. Vary in color, long lasting, real sturdy after hardening

Hope u dig an xtra deep cat hole!! Haaa

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2014, 11:27
I pave the trail :) haha

Rolex
09-06-2014, 05:34
Gambit, here's this one I had saved. this is not the one I was looking for though. The one I'm thinking of, the guy used a metal ring at the center point of the tripod to hold it together and I thought that was pretty slick. (Maybe using a carabiner?)

http://www.designsponge.com/2011/06/diy-project-tripod-camping-stool.html

English Stu
09-06-2014, 06:10
If you really need one I have heard of just carrying the canvas seat and then in or near camp select three suitable branches for the legs and some paracord to link together.

overthinker
09-09-2014, 21:52
I made myself a Jerry chair. Pretty comfy way to sit around in camp, and multi-use - it's what I put my pack on at night under my hammock.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-10-2014, 21:15
you dont need a stool carry a small piece of blue pad from wally world big enough to sit on