PDA

View Full Version : Your big 4 for the AT

jjozgrunt
09-02-2014, 18:14
G'day

Just an interesting thread to see what others are carrying and maybe give some people an idea of what is out there. I find that the big 4, tent, bag, pad and pack are big deciders in what weight people carry. If you can get them down you travel lighter.

My big 4 are:

Tent - Zpacks Hexamid Solo plus with screen and double floor - 525 gr / 18.5oz (I like to put my pack inside)
Pack - Zpacks Arc Zip 62lt - 567gr / 20oz
Sleeping Bag - Zpacks 20F quilt - 604gr / 21.3oz (mine has a full zip so I can use it like a sleeping bag if I wish)
Matt - Exped Synmat 7UL long - 499gr / 17.6oz

Total - 2195gr / 77.4oz

Moose

rocketsocks
09-02-2014, 19:00
Total - 2195gr / 77.4oz

Moose
77.4/16=4.8375

show off :D:)

I'll just say I'm about 6lbs. past that.

MuddyWaters
09-02-2014, 19:36
About 3.5 lb here most of the year.

Total base is 6-7 usually, depending.

You will find relatively few ul hikers on the AT, or any trail for that matter.

Most AT hikers shop heavily at REI.(pun intended)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-02-2014, 20:13
Started working on my spreadsheet last night - probably do some shaving before all done and said.

Copper Spur UL1 with footprint 48.6 oz / 3.03 lbs / 1374 g
Thermarest X-therm Long 16.5 oz / 1.03 lbs / 467 g
Western Mountaineering Hooded Aspen 32.5 oz / 2.03 lbs / 921 g
REI Crestrail 65 72 oz / 4.5 lbs / 2041 g
Total 169.6 oz /10.6 lbs / 4808 g

Had my loaded pack weighted at the local outfitters yesterday after a hike and with 4L of water and 2 days of food it came in at 34 lbs.

Odd Man Out
09-02-2014, 20:28
I never added it up before (not really a gram counter). So for fun, I did

Elemental Horizons Kalais Large = 31.1 oz
Underground Quilt 40 deg/700 wt down/long/wide/2 oz overstuff = 23.25 oz
Tarp Tent Notch = 27 oz
Klymit Static V2 = 16.33

Total = 6.11 lbs = 97.7 oz

This would be OK to 40 deg. Would have to swap out for a warmer bag and add extra CCF pad in colder weather.

Cassafras
09-02-2014, 20:41
Tent: TT Notch- 828g/ 29.25oz
Pad: Medium Neoair Xtherm- 456g/16oz
Quilt: 20* Hammock Gear Burrow w/2 oz overfill- 664g/23.2oz
Pack: zpacks 52l Arc Blast: 491g/ 17.3oz

Total: 2439g/86.03oz= 5.38lbs

These weights are accurate, except for the pack. I used the weights on the zpacks website because I can't weigh it very easily on my kitchen scale. It will end up weighing a little more once I get some belt pouches. Might be switching out the quilt, haven't decided yet.

July
09-02-2014, 21:04
Tarp: ZPacks Tarp 8.5x10: 6.7oz
Pad: Neoair Xlite Reg: 12oz
Bag: WM Summerlite: 19oz
Pack: Gossamer G4: 16.5oz

Total: 54.2oz/ 3.3Lbs

jimmyjam
09-02-2014, 22:07
Starlite with blue foam for frame 25oz
4lb 3oz
EE Rev X 19oz
neo air xlite 12 oz
MYOG tarp and net tent 17oz

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-02-2014, 23:11
Lord, compared to you folks it looks like I need to break out the free weights and start pumping iron :eek:

July
09-02-2014, 23:28
Lord, compared to you folks it looks like I need to break out the free weights and start pumping iron :eek:
As you walk, you will find what works for you, but pryer researsh, softens ta curve:)

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 00:23
Nope, just a credit card.

jjozgrunt
09-03-2014, 00:30
77.4/16=4.8375

show off :D:)

I'll just say I'm about 6lbs. past that.

If you can believe it 2 years ago my wt for these four were 6.35kg/13.97 lb.
I was carrying a nearly a 5lb pack just because I had all heavy older gear. Over 2 years I have reduced my base wt (everything except food and water) from 40.2lb to 15.84lb. I'm probably warmer now, stay drier and carry a lot less. Means I can move faster, if I want to, I'm a lot more comfortable with long days and the whole experience is more enjoyable. Plus the less weight the less wear on joints, from the lower back down.

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 00:47
If you can believe it 2 years ago my wt for these four were 6.35kg/13.97 lb.
I was carrying a nearly a 5lb pack just because I had all heavy older gear. Over 2 years I have reduced my base wt (everything except food and water) from 40.2lb to 15.84lb. I'm probably warmer now, stay drier and carry a lot less. Means I can move faster, if I want to, I'm a lot more comfortable with long days and the whole experience is more enjoyable. Plus the less weight the less wear on joints, from the lower back down.kinda the same story, didn't want to give up gear that was perfectly fine...so I drug my old kelty pack behind my truck for two miles till it cried uncle, the seven lbs. tent I still have, it was my first real tent and though I haven't carried it in many many years, I gotta keep for sentimentality reason. But yes just making a few changes can have a profound effect on the lower lumbar. The days of traditional 45lb. Are over, unless your goin heavier for a specific reason.

rocketsocks
09-03-2014, 00:55
Oh, and hare's me
Tent~copper spur UL1 3 something
Bag~BA encampment 3 "
Pack~Osprey Atmos 3 "
Pad~ BA blow up Insolated 1 and half lb

So I "Lady" I'm up in that range as well...prolly more that are than aren't.

lemon b
09-03-2014, 02:31
How long has ZPacks been in business ? Being from an accounting background I always consider useful life as part of cost basis. Golite is a company came on the scene decades after I began hiking. I've had two of their items and they just didn't seem to work over the long haul. The Jam 50 I gave to a niece, and the down jacket seems to have a feather leak. Both I got during that half off sale. ZPacks products interest me but have they proven their worth overtime ?

Jeff
09-03-2014, 04:34
Check another thread on this subject:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?3983-What-s-the-weight-of-your-BIG-FOUR/page43&highlight=What%27s+the+weight+of

Gambit McCrae
09-03-2014, 08:08
Summer:
Tent-Tarptent Strato2
Bag-Montbell 45* 900 hugger
Pack-Osprey Hornet
Pad-Exped synmat medium wide

Winter:
Tent-Hilleberg Nallo 2GT
Bag-Montbell 15*
Pack-Arcteryx Altra 65
Pad-Exped synmat medium wide

rusty bumper
09-03-2014, 08:33
Tent - Tarptent Moment - 30 oz
Pack - Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus - 22 oz
Bag - Marmot Helium - 31 oz
Pad - Z-Light (6 sections) - 6 oz

Total = 89 oz = 5.6 lb

dangerdave
09-03-2014, 10:33
I haven't gotten all of mine yet, but here's the line-up...

Bag: Kelty Ignite Down 16 (43oz)
Pad: Therm-a-rest NeoAir XTherm Long (20oz)
Pack: Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 (46oz)
Tent: Lightheart Solong 6 plus accessories (38oz)

Total: 147oz (9.2 lbs)

This is for the cold start in March. The summer bag will reduce the weight by a pound or more.

Wülfgang
09-03-2014, 11:32
TarpTent Notch: 27 oz
REI Igneo down bag: 29 oz
Exped Synmat UL-MW: 20 oz
ULA Circuit: 39 oz

Total: 115 oz = 7.2 lbs. (ouch!)

Wülfgang
09-03-2014, 11:37
How long has ZPacks been in business ? Being from an accounting background I always consider useful life as part of cost basis. Golite is a company came on the scene decades after I began hiking. I've had two of their items and they just didn't seem to work over the long haul. The Jam 50 I gave to a niece, and the down jacket seems to have a feather leak. Both I got during that half off sale. ZPacks products interest me but have they proven their worth overtime ?

I have had the same issue with GoLite. I try to support them since they are a Colorado company, but I've found their clothing and gear just doesn't have great longevity or durability. My down jacket leaks feathers constantly and has multiple rips. Shirts fray. Haven't tried their packs but I borrowed my buddy's large volume pack for a few miles and found the construction sub-optimal, with creaks and exposed frame.

I think they will start to lose favor with the serious backpacking community unless they address these durability issues.

Busky2
09-03-2014, 13:50
REI Flash 45 33 oz
Borrow 20* quilt 21.5 oz
SMD Lunar solo
Tent with ground
cloth stakes bag 32.8 oz
Neo Air Matt with
bag and repair kit 13.2 oz

Total 100.5 oz or 6.28 lbs

AO2134
09-03-2014, 14:05
I recently did a AT section hike in GA. 3 1/2 days from Springer Mt. to Unicoi Gap.

My big 3 weight was:

REI Flash 62 3 lbs
Marmot Tresles 30 3 lbs 8 oz
SMD Scout w/ footprint 2 lbs 8 oz
Ridgerest pad 14 oz.

Total big four weight 9 lbs 14 oz.

I was happy with it, although everyone else seems to be well below. I had 17, 16, and 18 mile days in a row and finishing with 2 hrs + of daylight each day to spare on average. Day 4 i did about 10 miles before 1 pm, where I stopped. I understand weight is a big issue for a lot. Comfort and saving $$ is more important to me, especially when I can still put what it seems to a lot of people to be better than average numbers on the board fairly easily.

My total pack weight ranged from 29-32 lbs depending on if I wanted to carry a 3rd liter of water, which on day 1 and 2, I did. I didn't really have much problems with the weight I was carrying.

I couldn't imagine how easy hiking would be with a ~ 20 lb pack. It must be like walking on air.

dangerdave
09-03-2014, 16:07
If you like your luxuries, you will be willing to carry them. Most of all, I want the best night's sleep I can squeeze out of camping. It makes all the difference for my motivation and attitude. Therefore, I have a large, comfy, inflatable pad and an inflatable pillow, a nice thick sleeping bag for warmth, and spacious, enclosed tent to keep out the nits. Still, mine four sum comes in under 10 pounds (like A02134). I'm a big guy, so carrying the extra weight is not an issue. I can carry thirty pounds around all day.

My guess is I'll lose something in the order of 20 pounds of body weight in the first four weeks of my NOBO thru-hike, and probably another ten by the end of three months. That makes me thirty pounds lighter at Harper's Ferry. After that, carrying a fully loaded pack will be like carrying nothing.

You do the math!

Kerosene
09-03-2014, 17:42
My zPacks ArcBlast literally just arrived in the mail (10 days ahead of schedule!), so I feel obligated to document my Big 4 for my upcoming Rangeley-Katahdin section hike starting in mid-September:

12.4 oz - zPacks Hexamid Twin with beak and CF floor, no bug netting
20.5 oz - zPacks 52L ArcBlast with all the trimmings (could be overstated by a few ounces as it is tough to weigh!)
26.0 oz - Western Mountaineering UltraLite 20F bag (2004 vintage)
9.5 oz - NeoAir shortie
--------
68.4 oz or 4.3 pounds -- my knees will thank me

Kerosene
09-03-2014, 17:51
How long has ZPacks been in business ? Being from an accounting background I always consider useful life as part of cost basis. Golite is a company came on the scene decades after I began hiking. I've had two of their items and they just didn't seem to work over the long haul. The Jam 50 I gave to a niece, and the down jacket seems to have a feather leak. Both I got during that half off sale. ZPacks products interest me but have they proven their worth overtime ?Yes, I believe they have. Then again, for me it is all about the current hike and cutting weight. My new ArcBlast will bring my total shoulder-season carry weight down to 23-24 pounds with 3-4 days of supplies, down from 25-26 pounds. The price was worth it to me and based on prior users I anticipate the ArcBlast to last for 2000+ miles of backpacking (about 10 years for me).

MuddyWaters
09-03-2014, 20:37

You have the mistaken idea that gear needs to be bombproof an last forever. Gear is a consumable item. If it doesn't wear out, in a few yrs it will have greatly reduced value anyway. Gear can literally degrade just be sitting in closet. It becomes obsolete one way or another. People might want durable gear that will last forever, but they also want new stuff frequently too. Just like clothes. And they really want lightweight stuff.

I've had no unanticipated durability issues with any of zpacks gear. It needs to be used with care, but so does an xlite, which I have had no issues with either.

July
09-03-2014, 21:20
You have the mistaken idea that gear needs to be bombproof an last forever. Gear is a consumable item. If it doesn't wear out, in a few yrs it will have greatly reduced value anyway. Gear can literally degrade just be sitting in closet. It becomes obsolete one way or another. People might want durable gear that will last forever, but they also want new stuff frequently too. Just like clothes. And they really want lightweight stuff.

I've had no unanticipated durability issues with any of zpacks gear. It needs to be used with care, but so does an xlite, which I have had no issues with either.

Great point. I still have a NF pack and NF Tadpole tent from circa 1990. Together weigh in around 13 pounds. They are heavy but still have who knows how many miles left on them, bombproof. But like you say, it's 2014 and I carry a zpack tarp and gossamer g4... 1.4 lbs. Granted this is a 3 season load, and the tadpole can strech into 4.

CrumbSnatcher
09-03-2014, 23:42
pack-------Kelty Super Tioga
tent------MSR Zoid 2 (replaced my Quest Preying Mantis)
pad---Z-rest
sleeping bag---new synthetic every couple years

jjozgrunt
09-04-2014, 00:45

I'd have to agree with others that when you start going light wt you will not get bomb proof items. You get items that will last with care and take a little abuse. If you throw your pack around want to sit on it, drag it along the ground then buy a heavy pack.

That said their rain coat and pants as well as tent kept me dry in the rain forest during 3" of rain over about 24 hrs. The pack I haven't given a great workout but I'm doing a 26 day jaunt through our alpine region in Nov/Dec so that will sort out if I like it or not.

With new materials coming on the market all the time it won't be long until cubin is old hat and I'll want to upgrade anyway.

They have been around since 2005 and if you search for reviews you find most of them favorable which is normal.

Ktaadn
09-04-2014, 09:03
Item
Brand
Model
Size
Weight(oz)

Backpack
Granite Gear
Virga
Long

Sleeping Bag
Lafuma
Simple Use 600
Long

Pad
Big Agnes
Insulated Air Core
20"x72"

Shelter
Big Agnes
Seedhouse SL1
1 Person

Total

LB's

In the winter, I carry a MH Lamina 20 degree bag which adds about 2 pounds to the weight. :eek: I'm looking into getting a down quilt which should knock off a big chunk of that. I also recently changed my pad from a z-lite to the Air Core. My hips are much happier and the better sleep is well worth it. I could spend a bunch of money to take a pound or so off of this, but I would be better served by dropping 20 pounds from my body fat reserves.

Busfoot
09-04-2014, 19:43
Golite Jam 50
Golite Z10
Exped Synmat 7 M
BA Copper Spur 1

7.69 lbs

I could have shaved off a good bit of weight by sticking with my old Solite pad, but I was sore just thinking about sleeping on that thing for four months.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-04-2014, 20:54
Golite Jam 50
Golite Z10
Exped Synmat 7 M
BA Copper Spur 1

7.69 lbs

I could have shaved off a good bit of weight by sticking with my old Solite pad, but I was sore just thinking about sleeping on that thing for four months.

Just bought a new to me Jam 50 trying to lighten the load a little Busfoot. Do you pack you tent inside or secure outside? Won't get it til next week and won't be able to try it out til the week after. Smaller than my current pack by 300 ci so trying to get ideas how to adjust my load. I also have the CS 1, xtherm and MW hooded aspen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Busfoot
09-05-2014, 10:18
Well, until now, I've been using a tarp instead of my CS1, and that was inside the pack. But on my next trip, the plan is to have to CS1 secured outside (to the bottom with some extra guy line I had). We'll see how that feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swjohnsey
09-05-2014, 11:37
Pack: ULA Ohm 2.0 2lbs
Tent: BA Flycreek I 2lbs
Bag: WM Highlite 1lb
Pad: Neoair Med 1/2 lb

Tota 5 1/2lb

Out of town with under 20 lbs.

swisscross
09-05-2014, 16:39
Pack: ULA Ohm 2.0 2lbs
Tent: BA Flycreek I 2lbs
Bag: WM Highlite 1lb
Pad: Neoair Med 1/2 lb

Tota 5 1/2lb

Out of town with under 20 lbs.

Similar here:

Circuit
CS UL-1
Megalite
Neoair L

Total just over 7lbs

lemon b
09-05-2014, 22:16
Right now I have the following and do not consider myself an ultra lighter.

Mica 1 Northface tent ( Will replace but can get her up in a flash) Also have a newer backcountry one. , but it is too heavy.
Neo air light
Kelty Down 20 degree ( Just a mistake I have two and a cats meow)
Osprey Atmos 65

Been using this set-up most of the time for close to 5 years.

Not sure of the individual weights. But when I head out with 4 days food, a goretex shell, smartwool mid, extra smartwool socks, pocket rocket, small cook pot, a plastic coffee cup, and a canister of fuel, plus pair of walmart workout long pants, I'm around 28 lbs total. Also I carry 64oz of water to start. And a polypro long sleeve shirt. Comando North face watershorts, no camp shoes. Still have a filter, but am slower going to that aqua mir drop mix, and I do taste it. In 70's i used bleach.

Mistake's were not just getting a WM bag. I have a collection. Also, am really starting to think in terms of cuban fiber shelter. I hike with one pole these days. Looked at a few Six Moons design shelters, whom I haven't heard mentioned lately. ZPacks has also got my interest. Even pushing 60 I try and keep an open mind. But I've managed to get myself down from over 40 and really believe thats one of the reasons my knees keep working. There is just so much to keep up with and at one point I was also outfitting two kids in addition to myself. Plus the occasional friend of one of them or myself. Got a smaller Ospry also for got the exact model some thing under 50.

Sarcasm the elf
09-05-2014, 22:33
ULA Circuit
Tarptent Double Rainbow
REI Sub-kilo sleeping bad (wish I'd bought Western Mountaineering instead)
Thermarest z-rest foam pad

Never weighted them individually, but my total pack weight for a 3 day trip is around 18lbs.

July
09-06-2014, 01:05
Right now I have the following and do not consider myself an ultra lighter.

Mica 1 Northface tent ( Will replace but can get her up in a flash) Also have a newer backcountry one. , but it is too heavy.
Neo air light
Kelty Down 20 degree ( Just a mistake I have two and a cats meow)
Osprey Atmos 65

Been using this set-up most of the time for close to 5 years.

Not sure of the individual weights. But when I head out with 4 days food, a goretex shell, smartwool mid, extra smartwool socks, pocket rocket, small cook pot, a plastic coffee cup, and a canister of fuel, plus pair of walmart workout long pants, I'm around 28 lbs total. Also I carry 64oz of water to start. And a polypro long sleeve shirt. Comando North face watershorts, no camp shoes. Still have a filter, but am slower going to that aqua mir drop mix, and I do taste it. In 70's i used bleach.

Mistake's were not just getting a WM bag. I have a collection. Also, am really starting to think in terms of cuban fiber shelter. I hike with one pole these days. Looked at a few Six Moons design shelters, whom I haven't heard mentioned lately. ZPacks has also got my interest. Even pushing 60 I try and keep an open mind. But I've managed to get myself down from over 40 and really believe thats one of the reasons my knees keep working. There is just so much to keep up with and at one point I was also outfitting two kids in addition to myself. Plus the occasional friend of one of them or myself. Got a smaller Ospry also for got the exact model some thing under 50.

Lemon b, still have a Cats meow and a Tadpole from years ago, both are STILL rock solid. Although Tad is due for a seamseal, and the Cat has a couple of old flannel shirt patches :)

Rolex
09-06-2014, 04:47
These weights are accurate, except for the pack. I used the weights on the zpacks website because I can't weigh it very easily on my kitchen scale. It will end up weighing a little more once I get some belt pouches. Might be switching out the quilt, haven't decided yet.[/QUOTE]

I figured out a way to "weigh" those items with the kitchen scale.
Items needed
scale (duh...)
strong plastic coat hanger (the regular metal one bent)
optional is a small flat object big enough for the scale's footprint but still fits through clothes hanger.(think clipboard, hardback book, small cutting board, etc)

board in both hands with scale on top. hanger laying on scale hanging upside down with hook underneath. hook "hook" to load and lift the whole contraption level as possible. (Think like a butcher meat hook scale)

On mine the board wasn't necessary but some scales read off of all 4 of the feet on the base and the flat board was needed for it to register correctly. I used one of sweetheart's cookbooks.

Long way around but uses whats laying around the kitchen. WARNING! Either wash the pack or wait till she's not home to carry that nasty pack into her clean kitchen!

Rolex
09-06-2014, 04:54
forgot to mention to use the TARE function to zero out the coat hanger. (or just weigh it separate and use that subtraction you learned in school)

Also a container can be hooked on the "hook" to hold objects to be weighed. (also to be Tare'd out or subtracted from total.)

These weights are accurate, except for the pack. I used the weights on the zpacks website because I can't weigh it very easily on my kitchen scale. It will end up weighing a little more once I get some belt pouches. Might be switching out the quilt, haven't decided yet.
I figured out a way to "weigh" those items with the kitchen scale.
Items needed
scale (duh...)
strong plastic coat hanger (the regular metal one bent)
optional is a small flat object big enough for the scale's footprint but still fits through clothes hanger.(think clipboard, hardback book, small cutting board, etc)

board in both hands with scale on top. hanger laying on scale hanging upside down with hook underneath. hook "hook" to load and lift the whole contraption level as possible. (Think like a butcher meat hook scale)

On mine the board wasn't necessary but some scales read off of all 4 of the feet on the base and the flat board was needed for it to register correctly. I used one of sweetheart's cookbooks.

Long way around but uses whats laying around the kitchen. WARNING! Either wash the pack or wait till she's not home to carry that nasty pack into her clean kitchen![/QUOTE]

overthinker
09-15-2014, 15:31
Hammock Gear 12' cuben tarp with doors - 13 ounces
Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11' - 25 ounces
Hammock Gear 20* Burrow top and Underquilts.com 3/4 underquilt - 34 ounces
ULA Ohm 2.0 - 28 ounces

Total: 6.25 pounds

The weight of the hammock also includes the bugnet, which I won't need for the start or end of the trip.

Deacon
09-16-2014, 07:27
My zPacks ArcBlast literally just arrived in the mail (10 days ahead of schedule!), so I feel obligated to document my Big 4 for my upcoming Rangeley-Katahdin section hike starting in mid-September:

12.4 oz - zPacks Hexamid Twin with beak and CF floor, no bug netting
20.5 oz - zPacks 52L ArcBlast with all the trimmings (could be overstated by a few ounces as it is tough to weigh!)
26.0 oz - Western Mountaineering UltraLite 20F bag (2004 vintage)
9.5 oz - NeoAir shortie
--------
68.4 oz or 4.3 pounds -- my knees will thank me

Except for the WM bag, my kit is exactly like this. As for the bag, I'm going to try the Zpacks 40* quilt with a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer jacket

mattjv89
09-19-2014, 11:45
NeoAir Xtherm long- 20 oz.
Deuter ACT Zero 50 +15- 52 oz.
Marmot Lithium 0* (winter) - 48 oz, Nemo Nocturne 30* (summer) 33 oz.
MLD Solomid XL- 18ish with all stakes and etc., hasn't gotten here yet..

so around 8 or 9ish pounds depending on how much that shelter weighs all in and whether it's summer or winter. I see the areas I could trim a lot of weight off but don't have any desire to at this point. The long Thermarest is great for my 6'2" self to not get cold feet in the winter as I do on shorter pads, and for the added comfort i'll happily sling the extra weight of my pack any day.