PDA

View Full Version : Bartram Trail Questions

C-Stepper
10-11-2005, 08:10
I'm still making my hiking plans...I was considering the BMT, but I've changed my mind. I'm planning to hike the Bartram Trail in early winter (because I can complete it all at once, rather than section-hiking, which is the only way I can hike the BMT).

Two questions...

1. I'll need a shuttle from NOC (where I plan to leave my truck, with their permission, which I haven't obtained yet) to the southern trailhead in Georgia (called Russell Bridge)...can someone provide suggestions?

The trail association doesn't list shuttlers, so I'm hoping maybe one of the AT shuttlers will be willing to do this. However, it's off-season for the AT and I'll be hiking during the holidays, so I want to make sure well ahead of time that my shuttle is covered.

2. Also, the road walk/Franklin--how far to the motels, restaurants, and stores? Are they all located in the vicinity to each other, making resupply and a stay relative easy?

I'm thinking of resupplying, and, due to short hiking days (and sore, asphalt-bruised feet), I don't think it will be possible for me to hike the entire road walk, resupply, and the extra few miles from the last campsite before nightfall. I'm a solo female hiker, so I don't want to camp anywhere near the road crossings.

Hammock Hanger
10-11-2005, 09:12
2. Also, the road walk/Franklin--how far to the motels, restaurants, and stores? Are they all located in the vicinity to each other, making resupply and a stay relative easy?

I'm thinking of resupplying, and, due to short hiking days (and sore, asphalt-bruised feet), I don't think it will be possible for me to hike the entire road walk, resupply, and the extra few miles from the last campsite before nightfall. I'm a solo female hiker, so I don't want to camp anywhere near the road crossings.
The road walk is 14 miles long. I did the NC Bartram section starting at NOC. I used Buddy Crossman as a shuttler. He is the past owner of the Rainbow Springs Campground. I do not know if he shuttles anymore.

The majority of the road walk is through residential neighborhoods. At the end that you come in to the road walk you will see that you are parallel to a larger road that does have a motel on it but you will need to deviate off the trail a few miles to get to it. After that it is pretty much quiet neighborhood roads until you reach the other end. There you will come to a grocery store, restaurants, atm... etc etc. Once you are back on trail you will not see much civilization again. There is a short one road walk of about, a mile, a few miles after Wayah Bald that passes a very old little store good for snacks, drinks. Then you won't come to anything until you reach NOC.

Can't help you on the GA section. Perhaps Brawny can, she has completed the whole Bartram Trail.

The Solemates
10-11-2005, 09:30
I can answer any questions on the GA section if you have any that pertain to the trail. I dont know about shuttlers though. By the way, if you are hiking the trail SOBO, plan on eating at the Dillard House after your hike. It is in Dillard, GA and is much like The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba, VA on the AT.

Youngblood
10-11-2005, 09:41
Can't help you on the GA section. Perhaps Brawny can, she has completed the whole Bartram Trail.http://www.trailquest.net/BRbartram.html

Hammock Hanger
10-11-2005, 09:43
I can answer any questions on the GA section if you have any that pertain to the trail. I dont know about shuttlers though. By the way, if you are hiking the trail SOBO, plan on eating at the Dillard House after your hike. It is in Dillard, GA and is much like The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba, VA on the AT.When we first started venturing into GA we ate at the Dillard house, excellent food. The Dillard family use to also own a great BBQ place, I forget the name.

C-Stepper
10-11-2005, 18:43
Thanks all...I'm hiking north (so, Dillards is out, maybe next time!), ending up at NOC (if I can find a shuttle)...I'll just try emailing and/or calling a few of the listed AT shuttlers in the area to see if they are willing...maybe one of the Franklin folks.

Thanks for the roadie info...I didn't want to get caught off guard (a tad uptight about being caught without a resupply spot, as I haven't tried it before). Brawny's trail description includes the fact that restaurants, etc., are in sight of the Hwy 441 intersection. Very helpful...

The Solemates
10-12-2005, 12:17
Thanks all...I'm hiking north (so, Dillards is out, maybe next time!),

just stop there at the front end of your trip :) you wont be disappointed.

C-Stepper
10-12-2005, 13:00
I emailed the Hike Inn in Fontana and they shuttle both the BT and the BMT (as well as the AT, of course!)...I guess now I have taken care of my Bartram Trail as well as my Benton MacKaye Trail shuttles! I think this calls for the dancing banana :banana

Sly
10-12-2005, 13:09
1. I'll need a shuttle from NOC (where I plan to leave my truck, with their permission, which I haven't obtained yet) to the southern trailhead in Georgia (called Russell Bridge)...can someone provide suggestions?

If you wait until the Southern Ruck to be held at the NOC over MLK weekend, I can almost guarantee you a ride from one of the attendees.

2006 update early November

SoRuck (http://www.soruck.com)

C-Stepper
10-12-2005, 17:17
If you wait until the Southern Ruck to be held at the NOC over MLK weekend, I can almost guarantee you a ride from one of the attendees.

2006 update early November

SoRuck (http://www.soruck.com/)Thanks for the offer, but I have only very limited time to take hikes, which involve planning around two very active teenagers' schedules and a husband who travels with his job. One day I'll get out more! :rolleyes:

No MLK holiday where I work (I don't know anyone who even gets that day off, maybe gov't employees??), but I do have off Thanksgiving (2 days) and Christmas (2 days), so these are my "best case" times to go.

Sly
10-12-2005, 18:01
No MLK holiday where I work (I don't know anyone who even gets that day off, maybe gov't employees??), but I do have off Thanksgiving (2 days) and Christmas (2 days), so these are my "best case" times to go.

Me neither. I work retail and have to give notice a month in advance to get weekends off.

Although they'll be some hanging around as late as Monday, most of the Ruck stuff happens from Friday night through Sunday afternoon.

Anyways, the dates are January 13, 14 & 15.