PDA

View Full Version : ATConquered Finale. We finished our thru hike!!!!

ratherbclimbin
09-03-2014, 21:11
We have finished our thru hike. We did and entire YouTube series and went through so much to finish our hike. We have worked very hard to make a great final video and we hope everyone enjoys it and possibly finds a little inspiration in it. Thank you everyone on White blaze who have given us encouraging words and support. The link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yALJcWG77GY

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-03-2014, 21:15
Congratulations!!! :banana Viewed your last video. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. It was so much fun watching I am going to have to go back and watch the rest.

Bob55
09-03-2014, 22:04
Congratulations. I've really enjoyed watching your Vids over the last couple of months.

swisscross
09-03-2014, 23:02
Congratulations on sucking on the nipple of society so you can enjoy/finish your vacation.

Old Hiker
09-04-2014, 07:46
Congratulations on sucking on the nipple of society so you can enjoy/finish your vacation.

Just wondering where the hostility is coming from? Details?

BuckeyeBill
09-04-2014, 12:26
Congratulations

dangerdave
09-04-2014, 17:12
What a well produced piece! I'm glad I watched it. Great job, you two. Congratulations!

RED-DOG
09-04-2014, 17:31
Just wondering where the hostility is coming from? Details?
Probably comes from the fact that when Mark got sick with Lymes they made a video BEGGING for financial assistance.

RED-DOG
09-04-2014, 17:34
Congratulations and welcome to the 2000 miler club.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2014, 19:40
the AT. "conquered". it ain't that tough :cool:

RED-DOG
09-05-2014, 13:30
Probably not for someone that has done 15 times but for someone thats on their first thru it's pretty tough.

Dogwood
09-05-2014, 17:42
Does Alabama seem so long ago?

Dogwood
09-05-2014, 17:47
I find it interesting how different thru-hikers describe completing their thru-hikes. After every long distance hike never did I think or say I conquered that trail that hike. I take the perspective that I connected with that trail or connected with something larger than myself. If I did conquer something it was me not a trail. "It's not the mountain(trail, hike) we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmond Hillary

Andy P
10-05-2014, 16:28
Congrats! :)

OwenM
10-05-2014, 17:01
Congratulations! I watched some of your vids from the Pinhoti while you were still in Alabama. Hope it gave you a good warmup :)

bpowell1014
10-05-2014, 19:38
this is my most favorite youtube channel. loved watching you the whole way!

Malto
10-05-2014, 21:53
Congrats on your finish. There are much better terms for your finish than conquered such as finished. Mother Nature has a way of knocking conquerors down to size.

Chair-man
10-05-2014, 22:02
There's nothing wrong with using the word conquered. Some people on here will criticize anything. Congratulations on conquering the AT.

marjirob
10-05-2014, 22:38
Great video! We summited on August 12th so your video brought back so many great memories! We had big smiles on our faces as we watched the whole thing! Congratulations! Flossie and Gray Squirrel - '14

rafe
10-05-2014, 22:40
Ya I don't think Unk Benton would think much of the trail as a thing to be conquered. One may conquer fear, pain, self-doubt (etc.) on a thru-hike, but the trail itself? Not.

ratherbclimbin
10-06-2014, 01:43
ATConquered was the name of our video series. What I have learned on the trail is everyone's experience is different and if someone feels they conquered, finished, experienced, hiked, accomplished, or any other word for that matter of the trail then that is what it is to them. We completed our trail after sprained ankles, torn ligaments, bartonella and Lyme disease. We conquered challenges and conquered adversity. To us this is the term we use. And it is very special to me. I think the people nit picking this word are thinking of it in a much darker light. The trail is a fun, exciting, liberating, exhausting, unique battle/journey. Also thank you to everyone who has cheered us on an supported us. Your kind words inspired us and always helped us push on. We love you all.

ratherbclimbin
10-06-2014, 01:48

I directly disagree with this comment. The trail is different for everyone. Even Andrew Skurka admits the AT was challenging and a huge "learning curve" for him as a first thru. If it wasn't challenging the success rate would be much higher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Lone Wolf
10-06-2014, 01:57
i stand by my statement

Jack Tarlin
10-06-2014, 12:47
I never enjoyed hearing people use the word "conquer" or "conquered" when talking about the A.T. It would seem to imply an adversarial situation existed Trail and hiker, one, in fact, where the Trail was an enemy, something to be dealt with, beaten and vanquished. Speaking entirely for myself, I never viewed the Trail this way. Was the Trail challenging? Absolutely. Did it exhaust me, test me, and sometimes badly injure me? Absolutely. But did I feel it needed to be bested, put in its place, or "conquered?" No. But maybe that's just me.

ratherbclimbin
10-09-2014, 10:16
The main reason I got on hear was to inform people who had been following us on that we had finished. I do not really care if the simple word conquered gets taken out of context. If your wish is to nit pick any word in a title then fine you opinions is your. Just like using that word is my right. I wont change it. The AT is what it is to me and lone wolf and Jack you both may of hiked the trail but we have also therefore we have the right to define or talk about it in our own way. If you would like to talk about experiences of the trail or trail stories I'm game but if you are going to troll on whiteblaze and nit pick everyword then I will make this my last comment to you.

rafe
10-09-2014, 10:32
ratherclimbin' : We get that your use of the word is deliberate, and in that case it says something about you. It's not nitpicking, because the word in question is loaded with meanings and connotations... not all of them positive.

If said in jest and with a smile among friends around a campfire, it might be different. Jan and Clyde, on reaching many peaks on the LT, would shout, "Tell the Queen!" We all know what you're getting at.

Demeter
10-09-2014, 21:01
I am glad you had a wonderful hike and allowed us to experience it with your video posts. You are a cute couple and always seem so cheerful. HYOH, you conquered the trail for sure.

Nit pickers be damned. It's why I have a love/hate relationship with WB. Trail lovers also need to feel the love on the forums, unfortunately that doesn't happen as much as it should....

Lone Wolf
10-09-2014, 21:05
you conquered the trail for sure.

umm, no. he walked a footpath on vacation

rafe
10-09-2014, 21:14
Attilla the Hun was a conquerer. Why use a word with obvious warlike connotations in the same sentence as the AT?

Demeter
10-09-2014, 21:28
So your idea of trail conquering may be a walk to the moon. The guy who lives next door to me may very well pee his pants in joy over making it to the mailbox without having to stop a couple of times.

We have forgotten that everyone hikes their own hike and celebrates accomplishments as they see fit. Why rain on someone's parade at the zenith of a major accomplishment in their life? Don't post if you want to be a Debbie Downer.

Chair-man
10-09-2014, 21:55
Conquer? Let's let Merriam Webster Dictionary define: (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conquer)
: to gain control of (a problem or difficulty) through great effort
: to gain mastery over or win by overcoming obstacles or opposition <conquered the mountain>

How about the Oxford Dictioary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/conquer)
1.2Climb(a mountain) successfully: the second American to conquer Everest

I'm sure there are many other dictionaries that say the same thing. So, can one conquer the AT? Duh, yes, absolutely.

rafe
10-09-2014, 21:58
^^ You conveniently omitted:

: to take control of (a country, city, etc.) through the use of force
: to defeat (someone or something) through the use of force

MuddyWaters
10-09-2014, 21:58
Any conquering on the AT, happens within ones self.

IMO that is.

July
10-09-2014, 22:11
[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;1914356]Any conquering on the AT, happens within ones self.

IMO that is.[/QUOTE/]

Ain't that the truth, it comes from inside.

lemon b
10-12-2014, 10:54
Agree with Baltimore Jack, July, & Lonewolf.
However, in full disclosure I've never done the trail from Top to Bottom or Bottom to top all at once.
Never had that much time off in a row.
I do not think the intent of Jack, David, or July was to belittle. Only an expression of their love for the trail.

lonehiker
10-12-2014, 11:10
ATConquered was the name of our video series. What I have learned on the trail is everyone's experience is different and if someone feels they conquered, finished, experienced, hiked, accomplished, or any other word for that matter of the trail then that is what it is to them. We completed our trail after sprained ankles, torn ligaments, bartonella and Lyme disease. We conquered challenges and conquered adversity. To us this is the term we use. And it is very special to me. I think the people nit picking this word are thinking of it in a much darker light. The trail is a fun, exciting, liberating, exhausting, unique battle/journey. Also thank you to everyone who has cheered us on an supported us. Your kind words inspired us and always helped us push on. We love you all.

Ya, I think many have taken the term "conquered" too literal. If you are even remotely capable of abstract thought you should understand what the poster intended (without this clarifying post).

ratherbclimbin
10-12-2014, 16:13
LOL no not vacation. Hiking is something I do constantly. My wife and I are extremely.active in Colorado and we are planning another thru hike as soon as I heal from bartonella that I got on he trail. Lone wolf let me ask you why you are so high and mighty. I can on here to be positive and to hopefully let people enjoy the videos we created and possibly share some trail experiences. Instead people like you attack and tear apart what could've been a decent conversation because of one word. Its a shame that you can pass judgement on someone that you know nothing about. This ends my correspondence on this thread.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2014, 16:27
Lone wolf let me ask you why you are so high and mighty. Its a shame that you can pass judgement on someone that you know nothing about.

just sayin' a footpath in the wilderness is nothing to be conquered. it's just walkin' :)

FatMan
10-13-2014, 09:09
Congrats on the completion of your hike.

And thank you WB for keeping me laughing. This place is a hoot.

RED-DOG
10-13-2014, 12:39
The main reason I got on hear was to inform people who had been following us on that we had finished. I do not really care if the simple word conquered gets taken out of context. If your wish is to nit pick any word in a title then fine you opinions is your. Just like using that word is my right. I wont change it. The AT is what it is to me and lone wolf and Jack you both may of hiked the trail but we have also therefore we have the right to define or talk about it in our own way. If you would like to talk about experiences of the trail or trail stories I'm game but if you are going to troll on whiteblaze and nit pick everyword then I will make this my last comment to you.
I TOTALLY agree with this statement, Theirs some folks on WB not mentioning any names ( PUN PUN ) that thinks their the voice of LAW when it comes to the AT or WB I just wished that these unmentioned folks would leave their overwhelming EGO's at home and come back to reality with the rest of us.

Ender
10-13-2014, 15:54
Good grief people, it's a single word, get over it and move on. Either congratulate the person for finishing their hike, or don't. But this semantic discussion belongs elsewhere. Move along.

toogariver
01-20-2015, 23:24
Mark and Maddie are two of the most genuine people I've met in the hiking community. The people like lone wolf and jack on white blaze just look for ways to be a tool to others. You'd think with all that experience they'd find ways to encourage people. I'd have so much more respect for all that they have accomplished if they did this. In some instances I see that whiteblaze is the antithesis of what I find on the trail. Wouldn't it be awesome if the people who had the most to share with others could come down off of their perch to encourage hikers instead of tearing someone down and spewing venom?