PDA

View Full Version : New York section of the AT

moshe2
09-03-2014, 22:04
Hi all I wanna hike the New York section I the trail cause I can't get off from work for more then 6 weeks. Can someone please tell me hoe long that section takes, and anything I need to know about this section .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
09-03-2014, 22:58
It's just under 90 miles, medium difficulty compared to the AT overall. No huge peaks, but all the usual ups and downs, and occasionally nice views -- Greenwood Lake and the Hudson River crossing (views from both sides of the river, and from the Bear Mtn. Bridge.) The ten miles from Wildcat Shelter to Arden Valley Road can feel like a nasty roller-coaster. RPH Shelter, near the Taconic, is one of those shelters that has road access, which means you can order food and have it delivered. A bit north of RPH, just after the I-84 crossing is some stonework that I helped install. :) In Pawling, a few miles shy of the CT line, the AT has its own railroad station, you can catch the commuter train to/from the city.

Just so you know, the actual state-line crossings are both somewhat removed from the nearest trailhead or road crossing.

moshe2
09-04-2014, 00:46
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linus72
09-04-2014, 08:21
Just so you know, the actual state-line crossings are both somewhat removed from the nearest trailhead or road crossing.
yeah on the CT side, you cross back into NY for a few miles just north of Kent on Schaghticoke Mtn, then back into CT for good. Though this is maintained by the CT AMC and most consider it part of the CT section. The first 'official' crossing of the state line into CT is fortunately just steps after a road - NY 55/Hoyt Rd and there's parking for about 3 cars and would be a good ending point. Here's where you cross back into CT on Schaghticoke :)

linus72
09-04-2014, 08:22
whoopsie no attachment!28251

Slo-go'en
09-04-2014, 10:58
If you can take 6 weeks off of work, you should be able to hike up to 500 miles of the trail. The Delaware Water Gap to Vermont is about 300 miles and at an easy pace of about 15 miles a day would only take about 3 weeks. Just don't start at the beginning of a 10 day heat wave in July like I did. Man, that was brutal.

RED-DOG
09-04-2014, 12:21
It should take no more than a week to do the New York section, You don't have to carry as much food as you would else where on the AT, you can basically get a resupply every 2 days or even everyday, but like Slo-Go-en said if you got 6 weeks to hike you should be able to do alot more than NY.

Cookerhiker
09-04-2014, 15:54
If you're going to do all of NY in one hike, I recommend doing it southbound, starting at NY Rt. 22 north of Pawling. The first 45 miles - all east of the Hudson - is markedly easier than the Harriman Park and Rt. 17-to-Greenwood Lake portion west of the Hudson, so it would be beneficial to get your trail legs first.

swjohnsey
09-04-2014, 19:31
Yes, the trail changes in character dramatically just before Bear Mountain.

RiverbirchHiker
09-06-2014, 21:49
If you're going to do all of NY in one hike, I recommend doing it southbound, starting at NY Rt. 22 north of Pawling. The first 45 miles - all east of the Hudson - is markedly easier than the Harriman Park and Rt. 17-to-Greenwood Lake portion west of the Hudson, so it would be beneficial to get your trail legs first.

I just hiked the Greenwood Lake area, immed. north of the NJ/NY state line. It's fun, but challenging. Hiking on a ridge with fantastic views of Greenwood Lake and many mountains beyond, little change in elevation--but lots of ups and down over rocks. That's where there' a permanent ladder on the trail.

West Mountain shelter has spectacular views that make it worth it (roof does leak though). It's often skipped b/c it's 0.6 miles off the trail.